Phil Spencer shares intent to honour all previous agreements and desire to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation

Sooooo what kind of games we want from this

prototype 3 for starters with me have high moon do another Transformers war and fall of cybertron were amazing! all i can think of for now

1 Like

I don’t think future COD will come to PlayStation at all, but the very fact it doesn’t need to would indicate that Sony would need to start returning some of Microsoft’s goodwill at some point too.

I can’t forsee a situation where Xbox let’s COD go to PlayStation, while PlayStation are engaged in a campaign of actively trying to “kill off Xbox” by strategically paying for games not to go to the platform - attempting to create the narrative that Xbox is somehow a shooter box and nothing else - while PlayStation still gets the creme of that crop too.

1 Like

wait you mean not go to playstation

my man Fonz said it best they CAN NOT confirm defintely since they dont own and it makes more business sense long term to be EXCLUSIVE

Yep, been a crazy few days lol

Understatement

Haaaaaaaa :slight_smile:

I wont mind MS keeping COD on PS provided Sony starts publishing Spiderman and Wolverine games on xbox :phil_lmao:

2 Likes

You joke, but for sure there’s no way MS let COD go multiplatform beyond the deal closing unless Sony provide something in return.

Maybe not Spiderman, but an end to timed exclusive bullshit deals would be nice.

1 Like

I want to see: Toys for Bob working on Platformers

Beenox working on party games

Raven Software working on HeXen

All three of Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer and Treyarch moving forward with Call of Duty continuing with the majority of the support studios not mentioned above.

Vicarious to make to Platformers.

Blizzard to focus on bringing WoW to console, getting Diablo 4 out the door and a plan for how they can get Diablo 5 out the door at the end of this gen.

3 Likes

Microsoft in a very powerful position right now and they know Sony is desperate. If COD stays on PlayStation it’s will be at a cost. Personally I hope they will use COD to bring Marvel games (Spiderman and Wolverine) to Xbox.

1 Like

That is something acceptable, the fact their lockdown on Marvel characters is unquestioned is another proof of media bias.

7 Likes

Ooooo, now that is an interesting suggestion. I full believe that ‘desire’ means that Microsoft is putting the ball in Sony’s court as Microsoft wants some concessions and that would be a big one.

1 Like

Well there is one thing we can take from all of this is that, we at least know Microsoft wants Game Pass on Switch and if they want it on Switch they probably sure as hell want it on PS5. This could be a big play to force Sony’s hand and to a much less extent Nintendo.

Phil could be asking them for streaming only game pass, they can get a cut off the game pass revenue and MTX, while Mircorosft gets access to their market.

But all this goes out the window if you can just stream games to any device in the room but those two consoles… It’s so hard to know where they want to go. Do you really need to get Nintendo or Sony on board if you can just partner with TV/monitor makers and have xCloud built in.

Ideal situation would be where everyone keeps playing CoD, nobody misses out. MS negotiates with Sony that Xbox gets FF as a whole back and also anything coming is day and date too, they completely cease their timed exclusivity deals for anything else too. Everybody “friends”.

Because can and will MS really go and acquire studios if Sony keeps making longtime timed exclusivity deals? Don’t these studios need to be willing to sell? Sony could lock down a new Tomb Raider, the new DQ which I can absolutely see them doing now that DQ actually is finally on Xbox. But MS isn’t just going to acquire SE.

For us on Xbox it shouldn’t matter if PS gamers get to keep CoD, but it does matter for us a great deal to get FF back, to keep DQ too now that we finally have it and also not miss out on big name third parties. In my opinion this would be the ideal outcome where we we all win. When it comes to keep having CoD or not I bet Sony is willing to cease their shenanigans.

That. He could have said they would honor the contractual obligations and leave it at that. And that tweet seemed very direct and clear to me, it wasn’t anything that clear with the Bethesda deal. He never specifically mentioned Starfield or TES not coming to PS or keeping it on there, he didn’t mention calling Sony about it.

That OtherEra post in the big AB acquisition thread, fantastic post but it pisses me off how badly Sony has been trying to make life hard for Xbox and its users. That post makes it perfectly clear how relentless Sony really is. I’m hoping Phil said what he said was to either make the deal close faster or if he’s genuinely serious and agreed with Sony to keep CoD as a whole on there that they also agreed on other things like Sony stop being an asshole really.

I do see what people mean with that the words intend and desire can mean anything, but he also didn’t have to even say it.

Do not underestimate how important CoD has been for Sony. I would freaking love to see Spidey and Wolverine games on Xbox. It’s probably not realistic, but that would be a sick tradeoff for damn sure. Either way, there is NO way Phil just let’s CoD stay on PS without anything in return. This is such a immense bargaining chip they got here.

This idea is soooooo much better than Xbox shipping Game Pass over to PS. Xbox also getting the Marvel games would be incredible. Shit now I really want this to happen.

I believe at least 2/3rds of XboxEra (if not more) disagree with me but here’s what I see:

• I do not believe that Sony will allow Game Pass in any way. The next paradigm is beyond consoles. Now is Sony’s best opportunity to build up their own subscription without a true competitor on their platform. If they allow Game Pass today, its relative value will be crushed and it will have a hard time getting off the ground. Once the market is more mature for subs and Sony has built themselves up to better support it with diversity, they can offer a compelling additional service next to Game Pass.
  • As I said in yesterday’s article/video, Microsoft isn’t concerned with the financials of pulling the game from PlayStation. Much like with Bethesda games, the Game Pass subscribers that come from pulling people into the ecosystem…one of those today is worth more than a few CoD sales on the PS4/5.
  • I threw in the caveat that there is some risk to the IP’s value pulling it. It’s different than pulling a single-player game. CoD isn’t just a game…it’s a social platform. It’s a game people buy just to hang out with their friends online. So losing support means diminishing the social platform…not just losing sales of a game. Entirely different thing than losing Elder Scrolls sales. ES’s experience and value aren’t based on the social part of playing it with friends.
  • This is not the same as any Bethesda comments because he mentions a specific game. The first comment, supporting communities that exist on PlayStation, was enough. He could’ve just reiterated that. Phil never specifically addressed Elder Scrolls or Fallout…and both of those games had MMO’s that he would’ve given him wiggle room much like Warzone does now. There was no need to mention CoD at all and give the market that impression.
  • I don’t believe it’s word smithing to dance around regulators. It doesn’t work like that. How Microsoft proceeds with this impacts future acquisitions…and the government is allowed to revisit acquisitions that have passed and re-scrutinize them. Some of that is happening with other tech giants today. Microsoft is in great standings with the US government and Nadella isn’t fucking with that…not even for Activision.
  • Either way they’re honoring contracts. I believe PlayStation’s contract for CoD goes through 2024 so that adds a layer of complication as the opportunity to pull CoD will come at the midpoint of the generation.
  • Xbox is going to be the lead platform for CoD’s social network. Between Game Pass, a $250 Series S (which will drop in price in a couple years), Series S being available for next gen only before other consoles from the chip shortage, and eventually winning back the marketing, the player base for CoD will be notably bigger on Xbox.
  • …and this is where it gets interesting…because unlike Bethesda games, CoD being a social platform acts as a Trojan Horse. Especially if Phil’s desire includes caveats that eliminate cross-play fees and they are allowed to streamline the friends’ network across platforms.

So that’s where I end at for today barring new info. I think CoD mainline will still come to PlayStation consoles with caveats regarding the social experience being streamlined and made better across platforms. I think Microsoft wants to protect the value of CoD because CoD’s value is worth so much more than a console war. It has significant value on PC and mobile as well. They want to keep the existing social network intact and expand on it. Microsoft doesn’t need Game Pass locally on PlayStation to bring Game Pass to PlayStation gamers. The Game Pass awareness that’s about to happen with CoD advertising being intermingled with the subscription is going to drive awareness and peer influence. Warzone gamers on PlayStation can take their Dual Sense controllers to their PC or a TV app and stream the campaign for a $1 on Game Pass. Microsoft will get the full 100% of the revenue from GP as those subs renew.

It’s chess, not checkers. In the end, there will be lots of Xbox exclusives. Activision has 10,000 employees. There are other big IPs that will stack onto CoD being Day 1 on Game Pass. Personally, as a primarily Xbox gamer who wants to see Game Pass reach it’s full potential, I can see this being the best for the entire ecosystem.

7 Likes

Very good post man.

So eventually MS will make CoD mainline exclusive to Game Pass, that’s what your saying, right? PS gamers can just hook up their controller to a PC or TV app and it’s go time, like you said. That’s what’s great about Xbox offering all these options.

But what’s your stance on CoD being a bargaining chip? I would find it baffling if Xbox did not use it as one during that phonecall with Sony. This IP is so important for Sony that this gives Xbox a lot of power to tell them to do some stuff. Something big in return, a big IP or IP’s by Sony come over to Xbox and/or they cease their timed deals and we also get FF back. Xbox can do a lot here, but if it’s just merely a deal to keep it there because Xbox values Sony so much and what not…please. But that can’t be the case.

1 Like

Yep, Sony isn’t playing nice so make them. Stop the moneyhats and let KI be in the FGC/Evo for starters if they want CoD that badly, as you said MS now has a very strong bargaining chip to stop the BS Sony has done since the start of this generation.

1 Like

Actually no…I don’t think they pull mainline CoD. This is where I differ from most on staff. I think the fact that people will be playing with other people across ecosystems who will have gotten this $70 game for “free” is going to lead a lot of PlayStation gamers to try Game Pass. I predict even with mainline CoD being a $70 option on PlayStation, in 5 years 75% of the mainline CoD users will be on Xbox or playing it through Game Pass in some way.

I think they should use the CoD bargaining chip to get rid of crossplay fees and also streamline the social experience across the two platforms.

I edited my post to be clearer. Thanks for noting that I wasn’t. :slight_smile:

4 Likes