Phil Spencer shares intent to honour all previous agreements and desire to keep Call of Duty on PlayStation

“I desire to release future CoD titles on PS”… In exchange for Marvel titles.

1 Like

Id expect everything but Warzone to be exclusive cause CoD is the literal game changer for xbox. You can’t give it away.

It assures you of such a potential userbase shifting to your console that publishers will have to think 3 times before not posting a game on xbox.

9 Likes

I dont know it just reads different then last time for me.

But this could also be a good sign.

This could mean they have something so powerful they don’t need COD as an exclusive. Remember he has seen the upcoming pipeline and was very excited.

Or its just plain and simple too much money to leave on the table

It being in Game Pass is a game changer for the service though, regardless of whether it’s exclusive or not.

1 Like

Ideally you want people buying an xbox and playing it over here vs on PS. You lock somebody to a console and you get everything else that comes with it.

3 Likes

If a first party Version of GamePass lands on PlayStation, I would probably change my main console TBH.

2 Likes

Agreed you gain another potential subscriber as well.

But IF they decide to keep it multi because the money is too big to give up, the deal is still nice

Is it though? 70 + 60 is a better deal for cod only’s than 180. If Microsoft intends to not make cod exclusive they better leverage marketing and exclusive content for the game.

That is actually brilliant. The same gameplay and studios with a namebrand refresh.

Yeah, I feel if that is a move then I feel i would move over to playstation if the gamepass games run natively. I would be sad to leave the hundreds of games I have on BC, but I would def move playstation to main console if that were to happen

They’ll try the service and many will stay. Toss it a 3M Game Pass sub with COD purchase or something.

I genuinely DO NOT believe that Phil wants gamepass on PS, regardless what he says. I think he’s bluffing knowing that Sony wouldn’t allow it. Because how does that help Xbox ? Sure they might gain a few million subs but not only will they pay Sony a decent cut for every subscriber/sold copy this will also make the Xbox console irrelevant and the Xbox Store still generates the most money. That store gives them a large chunk of money. No way would they cut into that. That makes zero business sense to me.

Then he shouldn’t be allowed to say ‘‘desire to keep COD on PS’’ since they don’t own it yet. But he DID. Phil knows what he can and cannot say. Better than any of us.

1 Like

Absolutely, it would sting. I bought digital content for approximately 20k, but it just wouldn’t make a lot of sense to stay in that ecosystem.

1 Like

Native Game Pass on PS5 is a silly idea, it’s streaming only or it doesn’t happen.

3 Likes

For me it wouldn’t make any sense either, but you never know. Microsoft would basically kill their own ecosystem and lose it’s share on digital buys for games, DLC, and microtransactions. A step like this can only occur if your competitor does the same.

4 Likes

Good point. Halo has no PS5 Version. They either release a differet version of Game Pass or make it streaming

You wanna keep cod? Give me Nioh.

They have a gamepass equivalent which came out before gamepass. PsNow.

Day 1 first party on a service is something Sony will not do anytime soon.

No, I mean literally a first party Version of GamePass. So the Xbox games natively on PlayStation.

Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, but I have to be honest and say that I think Phil was more definitive on the existing contract situations with the Zenimax deal than this one.

1 Like