Personal theory: Microsoft is doing everything they can to make MLB The Show successful on Xbox so Disney forces Sony to release future Spider-Man games on Xbox

you should realize Insomniac was the one who went ahead with choosing to make Spiderman. The studio was very integral to the whole deal. Spiderman wasn’t specifically shopped around, it came about from the studio itself having such immense interest in it and it paid off by being not just the highest selling Playstation game last gen but also highest selling Spiderman game ever made, Disney isn’t stupid to stop being associated with them lmao. It’s not as simple as lol we’ll take the license away and give it to microsoft exclusively, that won’t work if any studio under xbox isn’t able or willing to work on a Spiderman game and succeed at it the same way Insomniac did. Sure, Disney can decide to let others make mainline games from xbox too, but they won’t threaten taking the license away from them, that suggestion is just not reasonable at all.

Not always, no. As I mentioned before, we have seen exclusive super hero games. Batman the brave and the bold, Superman man of Steel, Superman 64, and even recently with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. They may not be common but they have existed in the past.

Problem is none of those revenue streams are comparable to MTX. I can continuously buy cards in the Diamond Dynasty mode where a special edition would typically just be purchased once. There’s a clear reason why sports games like to feature MTX. It’s because fans of those games use them often enough.

We don’t know enough about their contract with Disney to say they’ll earn more with more sales. It could have been a single payment on the agreement or another deal on the movie side, etc. We just don’t know enough to say these things with certainty.

Of course there is. Again, we don’t know the terms of the contract. We don’t even know when the contract is set to be renewed. They could have a deal for at least a trilogy, in which Disney’s hands would be tied even if they wanted to renegotiate. The only reason why the whole MLB the Show situation is happening is because the MLB renegotiated the terms at the time of renewal. On top of that, they are also willing to publish the Xbox and Switch versions. We don’t know if Disney wants to bother with all of that.

We just don’t know any of this. It also doesn’t make sense for Disney to threaten the exclusive contract with Sony just to make another exclusive contract with Microsoft or Nintendo. If the whole goal is to be on more platforms to get a wider reach, signing more exclusive contracts would work against that purpose. There is a better chance of Disney allowing other companies to make their own Spider-Man games but even that is highly unlikely at the moment.

I think it’s best to not get caught up in what happening with MLB the Show and assume that situation can be broadly applied to other exclusive contracts. For example, IF the Indiana Jones game is exclusive on Xbox, that would completely go against any and all reasoning for Disney to renegotiate for Spider-Man to be multiplatform.

2 Likes

It could happen, theres no doubt disney is aware that multiplatform has a larger installbase, however the partnership sony and marvel have has proved fruitful for both parties. Im also pretty sure that sony getting the console exclusive rights for Spiderman was part of the deal for letting Spiderman be part of the MCU.

This article is quite interesting.

If disney were to use a different publisher and developer it would likely jeopardise Spiderman being in future marvel movies. Sony owns the Spiderman movie rights so as long as sony wants to make Spiderman games they will be exclusive.

Microsoft or other publishers are better off going after other Marvel or DC characters.

1 Like

I hope that Xbox doesn’t covet and isn’t giving as much thought to Spider-Man as some people here do. I recognize the popularity of the character and game ,but IMO another Superhero game of can be made by a 1st or 3rd party that can be just as good if that genre is deemed as a vital part or the portfolio.

1 Like

Spiderman ps4 aint even that special, the story and ganeplay is good, but the city lacks depth and mission activity can get repetitive.

Tell me again Sony isn’t forcing the movie deal to get a hold on the games when they do pull deals like this:

Their Spiderman movies are now exclusive to Netflix, so they are literally using Disney’s ip to give ammo to their biggest competitor

1 Like

Disney doesnt own the movie rights of spider-man

They don’t own the movie rights, but they own the IP which is Spiderman.

But now that Sony has Netflix willing to bank on their movies it means Sony will be in a stronger position to negotiate every time Disney wants spider in a few MCU movies. (So let’s just forget about Spiderman on Xbox, it will not happen anytime soon)

1 Like

yea like i said eariler i heard 3 games in this deal we have 2 so far if im right after spider-man 2 i imagine there would be negoatiations for an extension like MLB so we’ll see also in other spider-man movies apprently sony is looking in reviving spider-man 4 with tobey and sam raimi

I think MBL was more interested in putting the game into gamepass than MS was to be honest. There was zero Xbox players of MBL, and they want a massive spike of Xbox players getting into the game. Putting it on GP gives you nearly 20 million people that can get straight into the game. Then once people have got into the game, MBL 2022 won’t be in GP next year, as they would hope people would stick with buying it each year.

who knows honestly with the amount of money microsoft been spending

So you think Disney are going to risk losing one of the biggest characters in the MCU for a cut ( only a cut ) of any additional spider-man game sales on Xbox ? I mean you are completely free to believe what you like, but you are living in crazytown :grinning:

Remember, even the absolute dog shit spider-man movies made Sony almost a billion dollars. They are also building out their own movie universe with venom, morbius etc. They can just take Spider-man back from Marvel movies and still make a shitload of money.

More logical outcome would be for Disney to partner with MS with other characters but no real signs of that taking place yet.

Doubt it.

Yea im taking it with a grain of salt

1 Like

:roll_eyes:

I was gonna post a snarky condescending gif and thought that’s probably not a very nice way to engage.

So I’ll just say, OP please don’t hold your breath for this.

3 Likes