Paul Tassi: PS5 - How Xbox Series X Is Winning Me Over

All in all Phil’s strategy to fix the platform, the hardware and leave 1st party for least is paying off tremendously well.

They nailed the first 2 points so greatly that even before their 1st party games hit their ecosystem is the best place to be. And knowing what’s coming on the 1st party front makes all more exciting

3 Likes

A good 40% of the PS4 playerbase are X360 owners who felt screwed over by Microsoft in 2013. A good portion of those people are winnable back with the Series S and Game Pass.

2 Likes

Unfortunately the 1st party is going to take the longest to fix, it’s baking and baking takes a while. Nobody wants a runny center.

1 Like

Let’s go xbox!

Just glad xbox is much more competitive this gen.

3 Likes

Just watched this, it makes a change that people are starting to call Sony out and its nice that Microsoft are getting props for everything that there doing.

2 Likes

I think it’s safe to say that for the first time in a long time PS fans are genuinely angry at Sony. They feel as though MS is dunking on them on a daily basis while Sony just sits there doing nothing.

Poll outcome was a bit surprising but it shows that slowly but surely MS are changing the narrative and are starting to win people over.

4 Likes

Agree with everything Tassi said. I like the 4K/HDR on the PS5 dashboard/UI but Sony should have kept it the same as PS4/PS4 Pro. Tassi mentions that copying phase and yeah, I had that with Miles Morales on PS5. I hate that shit as it takes forever sometimes. On Xbox Series X, games/updates download and that’s it…done…ready to play.

Extremely happy and satisfied with Xbox Series X as my primary gaming console while PlayStation 5 will be just for exclusives and that’s it.

7 Likes

It’s more important that they deliver than the time it will take for them to.

Though I think they already started delivering last year, even if they didn’t have the big AAA that would be Halo Infinite, and that a good part of their lineup wasn’t exclusive due previous arragements.

2 Likes

Yep, the Series X provides a pretty damn impressive user experience.

1 Like

I mean Sony got away with a lot last gen because Xbox had to spend pretty much that entire gen putting out fires, the overblown kinect controversies,the belief that you couldnt play second hand games on the machine.

To having to combat the 900p vs 1080p conversations and having their games overscruntised by a gaming press who valued resolution over gameplay.

The PS4 was also the default machine for many. It also having the ‘best’ versions of third party games at the time pretty much sealed the deal.

MS spending the rest of that gen prepping for this one has been one of the most important moves it’s ever made. They got their users used to the big changes they were implementing. Remember how many xbox fans were angry when they started day and date Xbox and PC releases.

Now it seems almost archaric to think of it any other way. Open that walled garden and have more players and places to play.

The canny thing is third party is always the key to capture a certain type of gamer. Pushing these big third party games day one on gamepass is to a casual gamer catnip. And it seems MS have more on the way.

Even from glancing at my gaming friends on social media who all mostly jumped from Xbox 360 to PS4 last gen its being noticed that Xbox is looking a much more attractive proposition.

The danger for Sony is that many of those kind of gamers haven’t brought a next gen machine yet and they are very fickle and price sensitive

8 Likes

It is sad that Xbox has nearly every advantage now and people really have to struggle to move on from Sony just due to brand loyalty.

Shows alot of Sony fans aren’t really gamers they are just Sony fans and Sony happens to make a game console.

Xbox has to fight an up hill battle just to over come blind fan of brand loyalty

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s really that. It’s just for many people PlayStation is the default. It’s what they think of re gaming console. That needle has been shifted hugely by Xbox since their introduction to the market but still the PlayStation brand globally is orders of magnitude stronger.

It has little to do with people giving anything a fair shake and just reflects the wider market and the reach of brands.

1 Like

I would say - ignore these loyalists. Work for new gamers- like me, Gamepass is the reason i am playing video games. Otherwise, i couldn’t have.

7 Likes

2 Likes

Yea it’s that, Xbox has the power advantage, now a lot more dev studios and a huge library of HOF gaming IP’s like Elder Scrolls, doom, Quake, Xbox has without a doubt the best gaming service in gaming with Game Pass, Xbox is making huge deal to add value to GP and Xbox as a whole.

AND STILL we have videos like this where after all these advantages for Xbox people STILL have to think really hard and make some life altering decision to play primarily on Xbox.

If you’re PS only seeing what’s going on with Xbox right now, it is kind of scary, you have to admit. And the most scary thing for Sony side is losing mindshare and population.

They will be fine. They’re just not accustomed to the feeling of being dethroned.

4 Likes

It is good to see that MS is building positive momentum.

Many are starting to see that Gamepass is here to stay.

It is also good that people hold Sony accountable for their doublespeak and a PR playbook that frankly is getting tired.

3 Likes

Yep. Everyone benefits from a strong Xbox. Hopefully it compels Sony to raise their game.

1 Like

That applies to many products. The market leader dominates often with an inferior product or offering in many ways. The stronger brand dominates. You see it in all circles of life especially consumer electronics. You can buy way way better cars for way less money if you ignore the brand. But more still opt for the badge over the better spec and cheaper vehicle.

Respectfully, there can be more to the decision than brand loyalty. The biggest factors are without a doubt where your friends are and how invested into the ecosystem you are. When I started seriously looking into going from PlayStation to Xbox, those were the two biggest considerations.

In the end, I decided that it was worth it. I don’t really play with my friends much, though I doubt that that’s a typical experience. The annoying part was rebuilding my digital library. I haven’t been able to fully recreate it yet because of exclusives, but I’m pretty close and MS Rewards and Bing Rebates have been a big help in that regard. I’m much more pleased with the Xbox side since it’s a great fit for me. I’m glad I made the switch but I think it’s not charitable to just handwave the hurdles of changing ecosystems as just brand loyalty.

For someone who doesn’t care about their past purchases (or who doesn’t have any), I’d strongly recommend Xbox over PlayStation. Doubly so if they don’t care about if their friends are on another platform. Maybe crossplay will become the norm and that won’t be an issue in the future :smiley:

Edit: I haven’t had a chance to watch the video yet, so sorry if these points were already addressed!

2 Likes