Opinion: So Far Xbox Series X or PS5 Has Not Shown True Next Gen Game or Gameplay

@HazzadorGamin Please refrain from making multiple replies in different posts… You can reply to everyone in one post. Just click reply for each post (it works like quote from other forum software) and it will quote each post.

2 Likes

This is something I noticed too that almost nobody else seems to have picked up on. Glad I wasn’t the only one! The transition regions were also chained together with on rails segments back to back. Seems to me they are bringing in these intermediate sections with a lot less assets while also bringing in the larger level area ya end up at down the line and loading that in gradually behind the intermediate areas. They did a great job of making it seem like every area was fully explorable but if ya watch the gameplay it very clearly is not the case. Like ya mentioned too, even the moment to moment warps are just translating the player around the nearby environment too.

MrZ, what do you think about the BC solution on PS5? It seems like there’s no layer of abstraction on Sony’s side and are instead having to resort to running things natively which is why they’re having to do it on a game by game basis due to the difference in IPC thanks to the new CPU family. Would you agree with that? I mention this because Mark Cerny himself admitted that AMD made BC possible on the GPU side which seems to indicate that BC on PS5 is purely hardware based. There was also an article a while back that indicated that devs themselves are responsible for PS4 games running on PS5 after July, so it seems to once again indicate that Sony never created any sort of solution to facilitate this on their side.

HzD 2 ratchet looked like ps4 game…even Spiderman is actually running on same engine of ps4 Spiderman lol.

Hellblade shouldn’t be counted yet since we ain’t seen gameplay of it. Flight Sim is an ideal contender, but we should wait to see how it looks on XSX upon being announced/revealed for it.

Playstations BC is definitely more based on hw than what MS is doing, but BC has always a software and a hardware component, otherwise it won’t work. For sure MS has an advantage here as they sport a Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) since the launch of Xbox One. This benefits BC for this new generation of consoles because all games had to run on such a HAL and are now ready to go. Give the HAL more resources and you can take advantage of the new available resources without changing the code base at all.

Though it was still a surprise for me they managed it BC games get full access to all resources (CUs, memory, frequencies). Still thought there would have been constraints due to older SDKs used. Seems MS found a way to get rid of them - you remember, they are still there when we talk about Xbox One games run on Xbox One X.

But back to Sony: If Sony wants not to stick to certain hardware designs (# of CUs, frequencies) in the future they have to work asap on some kind of HAL too because otherwise they will run in serious limitation for future consoles. While there will be another node shrinks the smaller the chip the better the cost.

1 Like

Cool. Thanks MrZ, I appreciate your insight.

I think that’s true. Sony at least showed 2 games that looked next-gen at their showcase compared to 0 for XBox.

I stand by that I believe “next gen” needs to be defined by something other than better and better graphics. The real main hooks of this new gen (meme’d or otherwise) of a way better CPU, and SSDs are things that have a hard time being shown or marketed in a fancy demo or are easy to go under-appreciated, but are nevertheless great. In addition “pro” models jumped the gun on 4K, for enthusiasts who got those the jump in graphics is far less and there’s no real wowing with 4k again even “real 4k”. I also think “looking” or “feeling” next gen is such a vague phrasing often just used to either generate hype/put down competitors and if it’s a really a thing you’ll only just know it when you finally play a game on a new system.

1 Like

I’d wager forza motorsport looks way better then fm7. There is a reason they are taking along time to make this game and part of it is recreating all the assets. Unlike gt7 which is reusing gt sport assets.

The substantial change will be on the physics side and AI. One thing forza has always lacked is realistic simulation. Always felt more on the simcade side of things. Another thing has always been lighting for forza hopefully with raytracing we can get more realistic lighting

1 Like

I don’t really see a reason to redo all assets in forza. Why? Since FM5 all cars have way higher fidelity than needed in-game. I also don’t really need photogrammetry on trees when i drive by them at 200 km/h, shrug. Hopefully they don’t launch FM content starved with only 15 tracks or something.

People are always so quick to decide what is nextgen from 30 seconds trailers.

What defines next gen? There is no common criteria that I know of:

• Has ist to be better graphics?
  • Has it to be no loading times?
  • Is there a requirement to use ray tracing?
  • Is it next gen if it is 60 fps or even 120 fps?
  • Should it have full spatial sound or even better?

Depending on what you want to focus on select on of the above points and you have seen plenty of next gen games. On Xbox and on Playstation.

1 Like

I loved Ryse. To me it was a stunning looking game and still is. The gameplay was really good if you played at the higher difficulty levels…it made it more strategic than a button masher. It had it’s issues such as way too many repetitive looking enemies…but overall it was a fantastic game and looked incredible.

The issue I have so far with both new consoles is that we really have not seen much that makes the case for the new hardware. Yes, R&C showed what can be done with the SSD and MS showing Gears 5, but nothing really impressive. i am sure it will come, but with all things these days Covid-19 has caused some issues with this type of stuff.

1 Like

HZD 2 and R&C looked nothing like PS4 games. Come on, get real.

The reason I’m hyped for the next gen has more to do about QoL changes than the games. Near-instant loading, quick resuming up to 5 games and automatic enhancements to backwards compatible games are amazing changes.

Plus, a higher and more stable framerate and / or proper Ray Tracing wouldn’t hurt.

Well they have remade the assets at the start of a gen before. These assets were created with 1080p in mind not 4K. I would imagine they have playground horizon team helping with the tracks while they focus on the driving physics and cars. The 2 studios work hand and hand with each other