OLED or QLED For next gen

Professional calibrator that I follow posted this.

At first glance it almost sounded like the perfect tech, and of course this doesn’t mean you will get this ghosting too. But seriously, OLED and ghosting? Man I was damn glad to be rid of that after I went from QLED to OLED.

1 Like

This is where I’m at too.

I wouldn’t call it a deciding factor per se, but it’s nice to have the option especially if your spending 4 figures on a TV you’d like to last at least 5-10 years.

For the record I own the 2020/1 TCL 6 Series TV that has it, and we obviously use DV whenever I stream shit on my Apple TV that supports it.

1 Like

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/samsung-4k-s95b-qd-oled-owners-thread-no-price-talk.3240720/page-268#post-61634485

And I was someone who loved the colors on the Q9FN until I played RDR2, i did not like how overly colorful it looked on it. When I then moved to C9 I noticed it, how much more realistic and accurate I guess the picture was with that game.

All those colors will be great for Fortnite and other games that shine with vibrant colors though.

1 Like

Keep it Classy has his review up.

This guy was super excited about it, but he’s also being honest and that’s a good thing, always. Beautifully flawed he says.

2 Likes

Honestly, it’s a good thing so many reviewers are taking Samsung Electronics to task for this. Hopefully, with enough noise, they can be persuaded to get out of their own way (especially from Samsung Display, for effectively neutralizing some of the benefits of their technology). I don’t imagine that the further complaints about the lack of Dolby Vision will sway them to also license the technology, but hopefully the lack of adoption of HDR10+ in the face of mass adoption of DV will.

I’ve been thoroughly impressed with my LG OLEDs over the last year+, and less so with Vizio (though that was strictly due to the firmware) and Sony (for which failed to produce the promised capabilities in my time of ownership), so it would be great for Samsung to get their heads out of their asses to give LG some competition. Furthermore, while I don’t need another TV any time soon, it would be great to see the QD-OLED panel technology utilized properly to eliminate/mitigate some of my few complaints about LG’s OLED panels.

1 Like

For those not watching the video :

Gaming:

He makes it clear that for most people this TV is the best TV ever made hands down. Same input lag as LG, very bright, very high APL, colours are very pure and bright. Gaming really showcases what this TV does. Game mode can’t be made to be perfectly accurate, but he says he hasn’t heard of anyone that cares about that with gaming.

SDR brighter than LG too. Even with BFI enabled.

Issues / downsides

• Issue/bug where the TV loses a input. For example he shows he has the PS5 on, goes to another source and then tries to go back but the TV can’t find the PS5 as source. Instead, his Shield has become the PS5.

• The TV will decide at any point that it doesn’t like you’ve changed to certain settings and it will change it back to normal. It doesn’t reset the whole picture mode, just picks random settings and changes them.

• Shadow detail. It’s either gonna be crushed, it’s crushed out of the box. Can be addressed by changing some settings. You can either have a little bit of crushing still, or make it a little overly bright. There’s not really an easy way to get it perfect or as close as you can with a Sony or LG.

• He himself hasn’t noticed it this much but some others have complained that in long, very dark scenes a sort of dimming can be triggered. Says the LGs are affected by this unless you go to the service menu. There doesn’t seem to be a option for this on the Samsung.

• Another issue but impossible to show on camera is what looks to be ghosting. There are scenes where it looks like it has ghost trails. Not in gaming, but in TV movie content. Hard for most to tell probably, but only motion purists. Also some bits where it looked like a motion flow option was on, purists will notice this.

• Biggest bug and issue that doesn’t only affect this one, but affect all the current Samsungs of the past couple few years is that the auto color Gamut is broken. The TV is switching gamuts to whatever it wants, whenever. Whether it’s changing the actual setting or not. It can be in the correct Gamut for one bit of content and changes to something that makes the colors under saturated that shouldn’t be. You then have to change the picture mode and cycle through them and come back and it should be right. Most won’t notice, but those that do…it’s very annoying.

3 Likes

Yeah, the thing is: aside from the bugs (which LG and Samsung both are usually great about resolving), the panel itself should be the best available, but for people who care about color accuracy Samsung has stepped on their toes a bit. Other things like enabling HDMI 2.1 on all ports instead of just one, like in years past, show Samsung is indeed learning and willing to adapt to some standards… it’s just odd they took such a sharp detour from color accuracy and image representation when that’s one of the reasons they became a top provider in the first place.

1 Like

HDTVTest LG G2 review:

2 Likes

Rundown of the 42" sets, LG C2 vs AlienWare QD-Oled

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/MEk0neyb_1k

Professional calibrator loves the tech of the Sammy, it’s just not implemented well.

1 Like

I didn’t read through all the AV Forum owners thread, but someone at B3D said a lot are talking about build quality on top of not being accurate and buggy. That’s not a good thing.

Build quality, so like things breaking?

I also saw this video. It’s always good to look at pros and cons.

That was my take, it might just be about the stand and trim. I hope its not the coating or screen cleaning. There were some saying how they see weird sparkles when the set is off after cleaning the screen with their distilled water solution etc. I’ll probably go back through that thread and see exactly what the chatter is.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what Keep it Classy Tech said as well in his review about weird sparkles.

i ordered a 65 inch qn95a. Hope i get a good panel. :grin: :crossed_fingers: #nooledforme

1 Like
1 Like

I just upgraded my OLED65C9 to a C1 (not to the C2 because of the issues I heard about). I think until there is a new HDMI Standard this will be my TV. Btw I don’t have any fear about burn-in because the TV is only used for gaming and streaming and doesn’t run all day anyway.

2 Likes

HDTVTest’s review of the Samsung QD-Oled

1 Like