New Final Fantasy game timed exclusive to PS5

No I get that, I’m just saying that buying the company likely isn’t as simple as writing a check and snapping your fingers, and that the people in charge at MS and Xbox probably aren’t looking at this forum post and grinding their teeth. They’re paid a lot of money to determine the best way to extend their reach and make their platform more attractive and haven’t come to the conclusion that buying SE is possible or worth it. Or they have and we’ll find out at E3 :laughing:

I have to admit, I’m pretty ambivalent about acquisitions. It’s easy to look at what’s in it for me but I am interested in the aspects beyond that and they aren’t necessarily good.

Not surprised by this and if anything, it’s expected. Luckily for me, I own both Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 so no restrictions or limitations for me. Of course, I don’t care about Final Fantasy so it would have to be a game that gets me very interested and hyped to want to play it.

I’m more interested in that Eidos game that’s in development. Please be the sequel to Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Thank you. :slight_smile:

WRPGs probably have much more appeal worldwide, although having all of them on PC doesn’t necessarily help them sell consoles although it will definitely sell Gamepass subscriptions. But with PC gaming getting ridiculously expensive (even prior to the pandemic situation) and next gen only games coming out shortly with most likely much higher minimum requirements, I wonder if that will make people start gravitating back to consoles.

I’ll say though that it’s bullshit for Sony to not even moneyhat the big FF releases, but now even the smaller one to a point where FF doesn’t even exist on Xbox anymore. I know quite a lot of people who owned FF15 on Xbox and I’m pretty sure it did well enough for Square. Hopefully we at least get another Tomb Raider money hat from MS in the near future, as far as I know Tomb Raider was home on PS in the PS1 days, MS should make its new home on Xbox to counter the FF initiative on Sony’s side. If Square is willing to make deals for a franchise they definitely are willing to do it for another one.

1 Like

In this specific case I fear that buying the company is the only real solution, japanese partners are historically unreliable, SE in particular. As I said before, I’d be curious to know what MS thinks about this FF drought, it is like turning back the clock by 20 years.

1 Like

Just let it go.

Sony obviously has a deal(s) going on with SE, no sense in complaining about it. Remember Sony used to own part of SE so they obviously still have some connection there.

People really need chill on this exclusivity thing. Buy the console, make a friend that has the other console, or play something else. Heck right now you can probably buy a PS5 or XSX play some games and sell the used console for a profit. Later you’ll be able to buy a console used and sell it when done for practically no loss of money.

1 Like

Like I said, I don’t have any special insight into the inner workings of MS so it’s entirely possible that you’re right and that only buying Square Enix outright would prevent them from making PS exclusives. What I was trying to say is that maybe the upper management at MS have looked at the situation and decided that it isn’t a problem that is worthy of that solution. Like, the effect of these exclusivity deals costs $x, buying SE would cost $50x, but spending $50x in a different way could get them $25x so they’d rather go with that option.

Yeah, this is where I am. Might just be my age but I just don’t have the energy to get all wound up over it. I’d really prefer having access to all the games I like on my favorite box for the sake of convenience but that’s just never going to happen.

I personally don’t care, I bought 3-4 FFs in the past and I found them mediocre at best, I’ll never buy a PS5 for a FF, even less if I’d have to shell 80€ each, lmao. The annoying thing is that SE is not Sony owned, the games are not Sony funded, these are scummy tactics only to prevent Xbox ports and I think MS will counter-attack, like they did with Bethesda.

Yeah, I also think that SE is not worth it, I’d buy SEGA or Capcom and let FF rot.

4 Likes

Final Fa-

tenor

4 Likes

FFS. Sony are buying something their customers would be able to play anyway regardless. They are paying for a game not to appear on other consoles. That’s not creating anything, building a partnership or adding a single thing to the video games industry.

We all know its business and whatever but nobody, absolutely nobody gets any tangible benefit from this as a consumer on any side of any coin. Stop celebrating this sort of nonsense and behaving like social media console warriors.

Its business it is what it is but it absolutely does nothing for anyone and creates nothing at all.

4 Likes

I have so many games to play on Game Pass I don’t mind getting Final Fantasy stuff a year later. Especially if they then come to Game Pass day one.

If Sony want to waste hundreds of millions on timed exclusives over actually buying and locking down studios, that’s their prerogative.

1 Like

Well, I agree that Sega or Capcom would be a better purchase. I just think that using acquisitions as a blunt retaliatory instrument is a little odd, you know? ← This is coming off really smug but I can’t think of a way to rephrase it. Please believe that I’m being sincere!

Yeah, I agree with this point. I think it’s telling that Sony are much more interested in “quick fixes” as it were to make their platform more attractive. As a consumer, looking at the value proposition and user experience, Xbox blows PlayStation out of the water. I’m guessing that they’re working on shoring up some of those differences and are taking advantage of comparatively cheap deals to keep excitement up for their platform is all.

Our own admin Special Ed confirmed that Zenimax acquisition was partially a counterattack in order to teach Sony a lesson, big companies are often petty, very petty. Anyway, if MS care about the most famous jrpg series, they should act in some shape or form, because the situation is dire.

Yawn ZZZZZZZ Wrote off that franchise long ago, Sony will just cut checks for whatever they want when it comes to Square.

You all should be prepared for no Final Fantasy on the Xbox this generation. Sony is making sure that FF is a Sony brand, and everything FF is at least timed exclusive

Ah, that’s news to me, thanks for the information! I’ll have to look into that. I know that companies can be petty, but my point was that it’s a bad idea to let that drive your financial decisions!

MS earns the equivalent of 2 Square Enix per quarter (pure profit, not revenue), it would be a very low risk for them.

We live in a world where we might be getting the next Dragon Quest game on Xbox but not the next Final Fantasy. Lol!

5 Likes

It sounds like you know a lot more about the financials here than I do, so I defer to your knowledge :smiley:

It’s all timed exclusives, anyway.

1 Like

Usually. Then it shows up on Gamepass and Xbox becomes the biggest platform.

3 Likes