Nadella - we don't need to make any concessions to gain regulatory approval

Based on what I’ve read MS didn’t think any of this through and already told politicians they weren’t making call of duty exclusive

8 Likes

Of all the takes iv seen regarding this acquisition, that was definitely up there with the dumbest

5 Likes

The thought of politicians caring whatsoever whether CoD is exclusive to a plastic box is so funny and ridiculous :risi:

3 Likes

Rare indeed, which is a shame but cool to see that you don’t have to be evil to run a big company.

I don’t know that a few million dollar donation is enough to make up for income inequality but of the CEOs out there, Satya strikes me as amongst the more genuine ones with a humble and holistic take to running a massive conglomerate.

I will say that anyone that has a special needs family member and acknowledges how they’ve inspired empathy and changes to their world view are pretty inspiring to me. I have a special needs sister and truly believe we need more people like that in positions of power. Being an advocate for traditionally underserved populations is what I want every company to aspire to. I’m glad Microsoft has taken up that torch. Hopefully it’s a genuine sentiment throughout the company.

7 Likes

I think that American Authorities Will prefer to see MS instead a chinese Company in the First Place, or not?

That’s one of the perks of his. I’ll bet him and Phil are like best of friends, both in business and in general.

There is no way any regulations will stop MS from owning gaming because if they don’t then Tencent will.

Next up will be Warner Bros or EA (if they are for sale)

Remember when TimDog on twitter thought he knew more than MS on if this deal would happen.

3 Likes

I see more of former than latter. I think EA is fine with where they’re at for now. WB looks like it is a Bethesda’s situation, financial problem and such.

yeah, the one thing about major acquisitions people don’t realize is that the other party needs to be willing to sell. The only candidates I see up for sale is WB Games since AT&T has been trying to offload it for a while and Sega (winding down their operations and looking like a candidate for a buyout). Activision was up for sale because they took a massive hit on public perception otherwise they would have been chugging along fine. Bungie only sold if they had total autonomy.

Take Two is still growing aggressively and acquiring companies while EA owns sports gaming

Yall missing out on all the M&A lawyers over in Resetera. Its great.

7 Likes

Listen, it’s pretty clear he’s wrong here

I mean sure, he’s stating actual facts about the market and where MS would be positoned after the acquisition but some people might not be able to play some games on their playstation anymore so I think we can all agree that makes it a monopoly

2 Likes

Dislcaimer: The deal will almost certainly sail through as it stands now.

That said, I don’t think his argument wrt being #3 is very compelling tbh. For one, MS has to convince regulators that ‘market’ only refers to the space of game publishers. Also, that argument that ‘we are #3 behind Sony, so competition is still strong and vibrant!’ contradicts the framing of their other explanations for the move, which is that ‘we are competing with Apple/Google/Amazon…not Sony!’.

And we know they conceded something wrt title availability and accessibility already, as per what MS was telling Congress (which is worth more than what is said in an interview for public consumption). I would not expect them to have to concede anything else beyond CoD staying multiplat tho.

1 Like

People are really mad about this today

3 Likes

CoD staying multiplat… yes, Warframe. Not mainline CoD.

1 Like

They’re mad at any good news for Xbox. It could be Phil found a penny and they will bash it.

6 Likes

There is no way COD will stay multiplayer past 2024. The goal is to get 75 million game pass subscribers and then MS will be confident it can grow any franchise to the level they want.

If Game Pass becomes ubiquitous enough like Netflix is, then I can even see Minecraft only being available on Game Pass.

5 Likes

I guess I was speaking in terms that “if” the government wanted concessions, Microsoft could pitch Warframe as a permanent multi. I just don’t see any concessions needed because of the fact MS is still 3rd in gaming revenue.

This is gonna be a long 12 months haha.