Myst uses AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution for highest graphics setting on Xbox Series X|S

Myst was rebuilt from the ground up to look stunning and perform amazingly on a variety of gaming systems. One of the technical features we’ve used to achieve this is AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution. This allows us to crank the graphics quality much higher than we typically would be able to. Thanks to FSR, Myst can run in 4K at a smooth 60fps on Xbox Series X with the highest graphics setting across the board, and at 1440p at 60fps on Xbox Series S!

With FSR, we effectively decrease the screen percentage of the game down in the background, then allow the super sampling process to sharpen the image. There are some minor differences to how the game looks at native 4K resolution without screen percentage adjustments, but overall, FSR provides a nearly 75% increase in performance on Xbox Series X|S on a 4K display, without sacrificing much visual fidelity at all.

The visual changes are subtle; but that’s how they’re supposed to be!

The bottom line for you? Instead of having to balance between performance and graphics we can offer a crisp, clean, fast, and great-looking experience on all Xbox platforms. Cyan is proud to be one of the first developers to take advantage of this tech for Xbox Series X|S!

source: Xbox Wire

6 Likes

This sounds damn good!

This, I really like cause I’m really fed up with the compromises having to pick between Quality or Performance mode. Hope it will apply to multiple games, going forward.

2 Likes

Agreed.

I had this with Tales of Arise demo today. I would really like to go for graphics mode because especially with this close distance from the TV I notice things like foliage looking less high quality, but the framedrops are noticeable here and there and just not the 100% smooth ride that is performance mode.

1 Like

I might as well drop the trailer here:

4 Likes

Weird that the pictures labeled FSR on are much sharper than off.

Are they comparing against the original native resolution prior upscaling, or from a native 4k image and that’s an effect of the FSR sharpening pass?

From the wording I understood that they were comparing it to the original, but it’s not very explicit or clear.

1 Like

I’ll be really interested to see videos comparing Native 4K to FSR on this one. If it’s “close enough” I’ll be more than happy with that if it means a 70% boost to performance.

1 Like