MS Earnings Release FY21 Q4: Gaming revenue increased by 11%; Xbox hardware revenue increased by 172%

Why would they do that when they don’t measure success based on individual units sold?

11 Likes

Update from Daniel Ahmad! We have some numbers. Yay! :tada:

VGChartz is lowering the numbers for Xbox again.

2 Likes

Not only is that not the major metric for their charted success as others have said, but it just isn’t useful to provide fodder for console warrior idiots to measure against PlayStation units sold as if that means Xbox isn’t having great success in their business.

1 Like

Estimate btw not hard numbers but they would seem about right, Xbox is already at a much better this gen and it hasn’t even started really.

3 Likes

Yeah, imagine the numbers when the big hitters like Forza, Halo and Starfield start to drop.

3 Likes

These numbers would be particularly impressive seeing they are selling everything they produce, supply chains are restricted, and a part of the chips were taken for the Cloud.

3 Likes
5 Likes

VGChartz has never been a good for estimates.

11 Likes

@Boosted_Gear, @Proven, I know and I understand that their strategy with public numbers and approach to the business is completely different in compare to the platform holders competition and others third-party publishers too. But I’m sure that internally sales metric for consoles is also important for Microsoft. In some way for games sales as well, but I guess not as much as consoles.

Another thing is that Xbox is now in completely different place than it was in Xbox 360 (their first huge and successful shot for consoles market after Xbox) and Xbox One (we know what happened in 2013 and a few years later (~2017) before changing management and structures). Xbox Series X|S launched much, much better than Xbox One. They already over 23 first-party studios with many teams and we already have at least a few much anticipated games to release: Forza Horizon 5 which will surpass latest entry for sure, Halo Infinite which looks so promising, Starfield from Bethesda Game Studios and their games are always sold well and it could very solid system-seller for Xbox Series X|S too. That’s why I wouldn’t mind if Microsoft would give us some numbers for these big games too next to the Xbox Game Pass subscribers updates, number of players and other specific in-games statistics.

But these are just my thoughts :slightly_smiling_face:

@Daniel, Ahmad’s data are always accurate. Especially when we would think about these things that he teased/leaked, which additionally confirming that he has a very good insight information.

2 Likes

Another thing is that they had to keep some units for making upgrade of blades in data centres for Xbox Cloud Gaming running on customized Xbox Series X for better framerates, faster loading times.

Now they’re partially behind this stage and they could keep focus more on selling more consoles and delivering new units to stores as soon as possible.

Consoles sell out instantly. The numbers can’t really get any better. It does serve to make owners happy with their purchase and keeps people turning on their Xbox.

Sure Sony got their PS5 sale from me already but that thing is about to become a serious dust collector. I don’t expect to turn on my PlayStation for any other reason than to claim my monthly PS plus games. Skipping E3 was frustrating and I’ve never been so ‘meh’ about a video game console.

No need to turn that on, you can do that from the web site.

3 Likes

I wonder how this compares to the PS4.

:laughing: That’s true I guess I could put it in storage until 2022 or 2023.

If it’s Daniel Ahmad you can take the numbers as pretty much official. As of June 30, I think we are looking at 6.5 Xbox and 9.5 PS5 or around that. Sony should share some numbers on their earnings call too.

1 Like