MS Earnings Release FY21 Q4: Gaming revenue increased by 11%; Xbox hardware revenue increased by 172%

· Revenue was $46.2 billion and increased 21%

· Operating income was $19.1 billion and increased 42%

· Net income was $16.5 billion and increased 47%

· Diluted earnings per share was $2.17 and increased 49%

Gaming revenue increased $357 million or 11% driven by growth in Xbox hardware, offset in part by a decline in Xbox content and services. Xbox hardware revenue increased 172% driven by higher price and volume of consoles sold due to the Xbox Series X|S launches. Xbox content and services revenue decreased $128 million or 4% driven by a decline in third-party titles on a strong prior year comparable that benefitted from stay-at-home scenarios, offset in part by growth in Xbox Game Pass subscriptions and first-party titles.

7 Likes

Jesus. Imagine making over $16 billion in profit in just one quarter.

In regards to Xbox another strong quarter for the division.

5 Likes

Big numbers

7 Likes

Why didn’t I buy shares during the Steve Balmer era lol.

8 Likes

300 Million… Is that enough money to make some games?

7 Likes

I’ve brought a very small number of shares recently and they’ve already made me some coin. Not enough for me to retire or anything :grinning: but I’m glad to invest in MS.

They’re doing a lot of great stuff right now, both in and out of gaming. Azure is a beast and MFS is a showcase for it.

They’re just getting started. 24 Game Studios including Bethesda.

I’ve been pretty lucky with my Microsoft stock in my IRA, but I was on a financial advisory board at my college and had convinced them to buy a good bit at around 25 /share. Just wishing I had been able to as well…

1 Like

24?

Man, Microsoft is on pace to earn eight Bethesda’s a year in net income. Its staggering to think they could buy take two with cash and then earn that back with ease in two quarters.

This just means more money fuel for gaming studios acquisition :smiley:

23?

What do I win? :grinning:

If Microsoft does not announce that game pass reach 500 million subscribers they are doomed

and they must sell the division or close it because they cant recoup the investment :rofl:

7 Likes
9 Likes

Fastest selling Xbox ever. But I thought they were doomed? :wink:

1 Like

That is a pretty staggering fact when you consider the 360 generation and the current chip shortage. They really must be making inroads in other markets too that adds up across the board.

Far as I know Xbox one outsold 360 after 8 months which is what we are dealing with in this data. 360’s were scarce for a fair old while.

Yes, we are talking across the same launch to date relative time period for all previous generations. But again when you consider the chip shortage and honestly the fact that they are only getting the first party games rolling in the second half of this year it is pretty crazy and shows that gas can be put onto this fire still going forward.

If Xbox Series X|S is seriously such a success for Microsoft then would be nice to see finally some official numbers of sold consoles and some chart comparison with Xbox 360 and Xbox One with keeping in mind that previous consoles didn’t launched worldwide like Xbox Series X|S. Eastern Europe had to wait one year for Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

They won’t do numbers of sold consoles anymore because that’s not how they judge the gaming division success anymore. Everything is about software and service revenue, and mainly monthly active users.

5 Likes