MS Account: For some reason I can't log in, but my brother CAN

It’s hard to describe this issue in the title, but I did my best. Basically the issue is this.

Me and my brother use game sharing, we share GPU too. He is the primary account, only he can use certain things such as game trials from EA. So to play them I log into his account when he’s not using his.

Last week he wasn’t able to log in, and neither was I. He was told he had to change his password, and so he did. He can log in again, all good. He gave me the new password, however it’s not working for me. He is 100% sure he gave me the right one, he just logged into Xbox and Outlook and no issues. I type in the password on Xbox to log into his account and it says in red “Use the password for your Microsoft account.”

When I try to log in via Hotmail/outlook it says the account or password is incorrect. This is the first time in my life I get something like this. It does not make any sense. Does anyone have any advice?

It’s not the end of the world I can’t play the NFS trial now, but if I ever need to log into his account for something truly important, I can’t. Wtf?

Remove all variables like the consoles from the equation. Try this purely on PC with web browser in Incognito mode to those sites. That should prevent cookies from prior logins being used. If you can not login to HIS Account then try logging into YOUR Account. If you can login on the website using a web browser to your account but not his, then the password you have to his account is wrong.

2 Likes

I tried it on my phone too, in hotmail and Outlook and I’ve never logged into his account on my phone before. But I have a laptop somehere here, need to look for it and I’ll do it exactly as you say.

This is so weird.

Is there any two-factor authentication involved?

He didn’t have this before. I was always able to log into his account on Xbox and there was no authentication thing needed.

It’s possible that his account got hacked because he told me he wasn’t able to use his account for a week, not sure what he’s tried to get his password back but it doesn’t sound good. It’s good now though, he can use it again, just wish I could too.

Tomorrow I’m going to try what BRiT said.

You can check your login activity.

1 Like

Just heard he IS using two step verification, has been since day one.

So he’d have to “approve” the login request if he’s using the MS Authenticator. If he was using different authenticator process you would be asked for a code to enter. Most are 6 digits but some auth programs can use more.