Microsoft reduces PC Windows Store cut to just 12 percent

I don’t see how trust and security issues would be an issue. They aren’t reinventing the wheel here. I suspect it will be carried out similar to what see on any of the other storefront. Providing data in this manner is not some bold new step forward.

One is proactive with manifests etc (UWP), and the other is reactive with background checks (Win32).

But it is not an issue we as consumers will see or notice. The game install experience will be smoother with the latter.

1 Like

They still need GP on Steam for Steam only gamers who dismiss out of hand the notion of even using another store.

This is good news for their pc endeavour, I think this was the major roadblock for many GP console only games: high barrier, UWP only, bad reputation since W8, etc…

Allegedly it’s one of the issues they are fixing later the year :stuck_out_tongue:

Thing is people on PC are already subbed to Game Pass which isn’t on Steam so Idk about that, if MS can actually make a good store with Game Pass, good games and a good interface I think people would come. Just look at Epic Games Store they have a ton of users mostly from the free games and timed exclusive games, MS will have a shit ton of exclusives from all their studios to actually support their own store now.

Unless Steam allows the full PC Game Pass service, it is a no go in my opinion. The service greatly diminishes without 3rd party content.

The PC market is constantly growing as evidence by Steam continually breaking records so there is enough room for Microsoft to grow Game Pass if they can make the user experience good because they will have the convenience factor with Game Pass.

1 Like

Well, according to PCGamingWiki, there are still more games on MS Store than Epic, at the end of the day, between MS first party and GP deals, this difference will only increase with time, since devs seem to be willing to make a EGS port only for cold hard cash.

@Biggzy It would be a lesser experience like EA Play on Steam is the worst version among all, but it would be tailored for Steam cultists.

This looks like an API war waiting for a winner.

Figure out the smoother way to do external integrations (like EAPlay, UPlay, etc.) and your gamestore is a winner.

Man, there sure is a tough crowd out there when it comes to Microsoft and PC gaming lol. A lot of sentiment that Microsoft has done nothing to show they are serious about PC gaming and the store changes will amount to hot air.

I agree that Microsoft has previously said they care about PC gaming back in the late 2000s that did amount to nothing, but I genuinely believe Microsoft is serious and has demonstrated that with putting all their games on PC, putting out some of the best PC versions of some games in Gears, developing PC specific games, just to name a few things. The store changes we will have to see how they play out but the notion that Microsoft has shown nothing is outright laughable in my opinion.

3 Likes

Good to hear, I predict by the end of this year, cloud gaming will have Series X server blades (vastly improving image quality, latency, and framerate) and the new MS store will have a slick new UI with great functionality.

Btw, Brad Sams made an interesting observation. The changes go into effect August 1st. This means that tbe Windows Store and Game Store behavioural changes are probably closer than we expect. They will come to the insider rings first, probably.

Yeah, WC said that insider rings would begin after Microsoft Build, with an official release in Fall, but maybe it is closer.

1 Like

Yeah I saw him mentioned that. We should be seeing some of the changes really soon because, as you say, they will be coming to the insider rings first, but they will definitely come by the end of this year in time for the big releases.

1 Like

Irrelevant for Windows app store since nobody actually ever buys apps from that. More relevant for Xbox store.

Microsoft should recognize an opportunity and create their own Steam-like client with all the community pages.

Yeah - they might be changing the entire vision and architecture of both those stores.

Is there a source for this? Because that’s my main hangup with the entire Xbox app model on PC.

I think there is an article on Windows Central on the rumoured changes coming.

Is this it? Microsoft reportedly working on new Windows store that’s open to all apps and games - The Verge

Couldn’t find anything on Windows Central.

EDIT: Ah, hold on, maybe this is the Windows Central article: Microsoft is building a new app store for Windows 10 in major revitalization effort | Windows Central

Good stuff on the “unpackaged Win32 apps” front. Hopefully that also implies free access to the files.

1 Like

Good that you found it. I was also searching frantically on the WC site. :+1:t5:

1 Like