Microsoft needs a comprehensive Japan strategy. Now is the time to strike. Suggest your strategies

These are good moves.

I’d also add better support for localization across different countries. Even Kamiya himself has said the Xbox UI isn’t Japanese friendly.

A Korean Twitter user was upset Chinese came up on his Xbox console.

They need to support these countries. They can’t just focus on NA if they plan to grow Game Pass globally.

Capcom didn’t just one day have its games renown around the world, they worked at it for years and eventually their IP became classics and adored every where.

Grow Tango, let them make the games they want. That way more Japanese talent comes on board.

Acquire Platinum give them the creative freedom they want. It’s clear that when they make the games they want to make they tend to knock it out of the park unlike when they do shill third party stuff like the Legend of Korra games.

Let these devs even make games on Switch. They let Activision remain multi plat do the same for Japanese devs that way they can see their hard work flourish even if it isn’t under Xbox. That too would make the workspace viable for talent looking to make games not just on Xbox.

This could lead to a potential Sega acquisition and Atlus could feel content making Xbox games if they could also support Switch or PS.

Lastly acquire Ark System Works. Their fighting games make for a stark difference to the western offering of KI and MK. As far as talent goes, I actually think these guys are among the best in the Country. That would ensure that at least in the fighting game genera MS is not left behind like they currently are.

2 Likes

Seems Good.

In addition to that.

Add people for language support in Microsoft in Asia.

I am french, and I now that the text on the Xbox menu are Bot translated. as an insider, we are able to tell, if it’s ok or not. (Even if we don’t know if the answer go to French People or directly to US, so I put my return in English). But It’s won’t be as easy for language with a different kind of letter. Japonese, Chinese, Korean is way to hard for US IA to translate in a correct way, They need human for that (And they need to use that, to improve the Translator IA as well).

1 Like

This seems like a small boost to their renewed efforts in Japan. I hope we see a lot more localization in the region.

8 Likes

This is a good sign of things to come. Xbox Wire JP is going to need Japanese content to appeal to readers.

1 Like

After about 12 hours in Elden Ring I say they need to make a deal with FromSoft, fund their next game, not saying to moneyhat anything but maybe a new IP like they did with Sony, also I know this is likely not possible but I wonder if they could make a portable Series S? A la Switch but with Series S specs? I think that would be popular in Japan.

This will answer your Portable Xbox questions

1 Like

Thanks!

Yeah I feel the same about Platinum & Cyberconnect2, they would be great gets for Xbox given that they’re JP developers that can use the backing of Microsoft to make the games they want to make without having to juggle multiple projects to stay afloat. They are very similar when you look into their history.

Having Coalition work with Platinum to continue the Scalebound project in Unreal Engine would be ideal if they can convert the assets to the current build of Unreal Engine. I don’t think Platinum has used Unreal Engine in a while so it would likely take a longer time since they would have to get up to speed with it again but it could work.

I also wonder if they can rebuild Scalebound faster and better with Platinum’s current in house engine provided it has all of the capabilities they need to make the game.

2 Likes

I have to imagine that the better hardware of the Series consoles would also help, I remember the game looked very ambitious at the time for an Xbox One game and by far Platinum’s best looking game yet, I hope they collaborate again some time.

Yeah they have a much better set of circumstances now to be able to make the game they’ve always wanted to make given their added experience with online coop, better hardware, and better versions of UE & their own engine that they can utilize.

With all that in mind it makes me more interested to see them rework the game with an Xbox budget.

1 Like

[quote=“Cayde4Ever, post:169, topic:5693”]

I hear Sakaguchi is going to retire though, would you still want them if that happened?

[/quote] that depends. If retirement means from making games but still like head of company then yes. Im sure he has groomed guys. If he can be in like a todd howard role im down

According to TheGameSpoof, Xbox Japan are collaborating with “top class developers” on “truly groundbreaking product”, from tweets by senior producer Matt Smith and job listings:

3 Likes

It’s all coming together now. Might be some news at TGS this year.

Give it time. I know patience is a virtue but it does come atogether eventually.

The Kojima Game is one of those games

Xbox sold just a tiny bit over half what PS5 did this week in Japan.

With this recent news I’d say we’re due for Japan getting some good Xbox stock.

PlayStation 5 – 11.259 (1.550.666)

Xbox Series X|S – 5.742 (178.509)

1 Like

They sell relatively solid amount of consoles there. I am curious if they could reach PS numbers of they sold more though, but I think by the end of the gen they might reach 500k. PC Game Pass and Mobile are their main vectors there.

IMHO Xbox’s first move should be to buy Platinum. That will get them a solid foothold along with Tango. They should Shrink Platinum to two teams to start with, but once they launch Scalebound invest and grow them to a 3 team studio along with Tango being a 2 or 3 team studio. The last genre they would be lacking in is JRPG’s I would personally think Level 5 or a similar studio that has sort of fallen short of it’s past glory to rebuild. Sega would also be a good JRPG candidate. I would say Mistwalker, but I am not sure what state they are in or if they have the desire or ability to scale back up and take on the Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey franchises right now, but they could be built back up. Microsoft could probably buy them and Platinum with the change found in the executive parking lot and in the break room sofa.

1 Like

In order to attract talent I think they need to allow Japanese games to be made for both Xbox and Nintendo. Because most people in Japan grow up playing either PS or Nintendo devices they more than likely want to make games for those devices especially to get other people in Japan to notice and play their games.