Microsoft in talks with Discord over $10 billion+ acquisition

Discord fits, absolutely. :+1: Amazing to think that they have been in talks for months here.

Btw, Pinterest was strange.

PS - I still think they will go back in for Tiktok, if Tiktok is open to selling.

2 Likes

hehe.

Especially when Facebook has Instagram, Whatsapp and FB. And, Google has the entire internet.

Hold on, I just noticed we have less than 100 posts left for this OT. Looks like we’re gonna need an Acquisition OT2!

1 Like

Let’s make that happen people.

This thread should be second to no other thread.

Nobody will pay 7 billion for a name with 0 ip’s.

1 Like

All the US journos must have not slept it seems. Jez mentions an article being ready.

If microsoft fails to get discord like with tik tok,maybe we get another surprise publisher.

2 Likes

Has the acquisition train come to a halt? Is it over?

I would wager not…

2 Likes

Seems like if they want discord they will increasing their focus on gaming in their services offerings.

I think we’ll hear about more acquisitions of independent game developers in June.

1 Like
5 Likes

MS acquiring Discord would be an absolute massive win, if this happens expect Xbox to be closely integrated into it and possibly even removing the current Xbox chat/parties system and migrating exclusively to Discord for all communications.

1 Like

It all depends on how greedy the investors of discord are. Going public can be a big risk. A sale to MS can be a quick cash out.

Why do you say ‘greedy’?

Every investment firm needs an exit. They invest in unknowns with the hope that one of their 50 investments work out. That is the reason you see startup funding. For every successful exit/return, they have 30-40 investments that won’t return anything.

Going public is not a risk for Discord right now. An IPO or a sale are both valid exits, and depends on the vision of the founder.

If they do buy Discord, expect it everywhere – even on Playstation and Nintendo.

1 Like

It won’t be on either.

Playstation and Nintendo are closed systems. It will remain on mobile/pc and have a deep Xbox integration if they do acquire it. Lots gamers on PS and Nintendo use Discord and if Xbox is another entry point in which they can access their groups, then it becomes another value prop to jump into the Xbox ecosystem.

1 Like

Creating a thread in record time.

Good show mods. @Predrag

1 Like

I’m trying to find the podcast episode where I mentioned Discord. Need the receipts…