Microsoft in talks with Discord over $10 billion+ acquisition

Very nice, thanks!

I don’t think this replaces or substitutes the Tiktok conversation.

200m users here versus 600m on a popular chat platform like Tiktok.

I’m saying it more as they missed out on TikTok and a large community, Discord wouldn’t be a bad 2nd attempt to snatch a platform like it. They really want a social media / community platform, they went after Pinterest too. Discord fits them better imo in almost every way.

Does not matter. They have made great games based on this material so they have great value in being purchased based on the talent there.

“Wouldnt not Microsoft buying it be considered a legit monopoly?”

My new favourite tag line whenever MS is considering buying something, I’m voting that for the new OT title.

2 Likes

Except it does matter. MS flat out stated that they want IP. CDPR offers none and would cost as much as Bethesda. It would be an abject waste of money. You don’t buy something just for “talent” when that talent is free to walk out the door.

5 Likes

Microsoft could buy a fast food chain and Sony fans would say it’s a monopoly

7 Likes

Microsoft buys energy drink company Monster, fans worry if Red Bull will be ok and say this will give Microsoft a monopoly in the energy drink sector, how could we let this happen.

1 Like

Discord fits, absolutely. :+1: Amazing to think that they have been in talks for months here.

Btw, Pinterest was strange.

PS - I still think they will go back in for Tiktok, if Tiktok is open to selling.

2 Likes

hehe.

Especially when Facebook has Instagram, Whatsapp and FB. And, Google has the entire internet.

Hold on, I just noticed we have less than 100 posts left for this OT. Looks like we’re gonna need an Acquisition OT2!

1 Like

Let’s make that happen people.

This thread should be second to no other thread.

Nobody will pay 7 billion for a name with 0 ip’s.

1 Like

All the US journos must have not slept it seems. Jez mentions an article being ready.

If microsoft fails to get discord like with tik tok,maybe we get another surprise publisher.

2 Likes

Has the acquisition train come to a halt? Is it over?

I would wager not…

2 Likes

Seems like if they want discord they will increasing their focus on gaming in their services offerings.

I think we’ll hear about more acquisitions of independent game developers in June.

1 Like
5 Likes