Microsoft: Considering buying more Xbox Game Studios; More investment into Game Pass to come; Bethesda will run semi-independently

“You can’t wake up one day and say, ‘Let me build a game studio,’” Nadella said in an interview after the company announced its $7.5 billion cash purchase of ZeniMax Media, which owns several industry-leading game developers, including Bethesda Softworks and Id Software. “The idea of having content is so we can reach larger communities.”

That’s why Microsoft will consider buying even more video game companies in the future, he said, and why it continues to invest in its Xbox Game Pass subscription service.

Spencer also said Bethesda will run semi-independently, in an effort to keep the company building the games that brought it success in the first place. “It is about the culture of those teams,” he said. “They’re not about becoming us.”

It’s also why game companies will continue to be on Microsoft’s radar. “We’ll always look for places where there is that commonality of purpose, mission and culture,” Nadella said, noting that the Xbox team has worked with ZeniMax companies including Bethesda since the first Xbox was released in 2001. “We will always look to grow inorganically where it makes sense.”

TLDR: The Warchest is still open.

10 Likes

Oh shit. Also, confirmation of Bethesda’s semi-independence is nice. It’s good they are liberated from the board and given more autonomy.

3 Likes

God damn :exploding_head:! What did Phil Spencer do to Sataya :sweat_smile:. He is all in on gaming.

Just as I thought. For one they are too big to integrate completely into Xbox Games Studios, but this is the new Microsoft : A more hands-off approach and just let the creators create.

2 Likes

Bethesda definitely needs some lead. There is a good article from Jeff Grubb about it.

https://venturebeat.com/2020/09/22/xboxs-bethesda-acquisition-is-evidence-of-blockbuster-gamings-volatility/amp/

3 Likes

Nothing Stops This Train

1 Like

Microsoft:

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I think Bethesda’s biggest problem has always been the board and the industry. The board is mostly comprised of non-gamers and forces games out unpolished to meet deadlines, harming the end result. And the industry itself, while supportive of Bethesda’s RPG efforts, tends to skew away from sales success for more niche titles like Evil Within and Dishonored. Those titles are fantastic and fit perfectly into the Game Pass strategy of giving people a reason to stay subscribed rather than buy, but not so well into the $60 (now $70) rat race of too many options and not enough money.

4 Likes

is there confirmation that the board goes out cuz of this deal or will they continue as is just under microsoft now?

I had read that the studios would individually report to Booty and Spencer, but may be wrong. Either way, the buck does stop at those two and the board no longer has to worry about firm quarterly deadlines to the extent they did. Cash on hand is no longer a problem.

1 Like
4 Likes

Semi-independence just means they won’t stifle creative freedom just like with every other XGS, MS won’t force any changes to projects

Still wonder what this is going to mean for publishing. Bethesda said they’d self publish current projects so Deathloop and Ghostwire will be under Bethesda for the PS5.

The real mystery is Starfield and TES6 and if they’ll be under the XGS logo?

I think they will both will be, especially if they are exclusive. My guess is “Xbox Game Studios and Bethesda Softworks presents a Bethesda Game Studios production.”

D6YpwGE

Techland, Fromsotfware, CDPR, Asobo, Capcom, anyone lol

2 Likes

I hope they integrate these studios individually to a greater extent though. They should not become a “block” within Xbox Game Studios.

3 Likes

If Xbox decides to keep Starfield exclusive to Xbox and PC, imagine the headlines once the game gets properly revealed and with a release date. That will be fantastic for Xbox, for a change. And don’t underestimate true BGS fans, they will either get a Xbox or subscribe to Game Pass. On Youtube I saw multiple people saying they were considering getting a Xbox over PS5 because of Bethesda.

PS5 gets Deathloop and Ghostwire next year, while Xbox Series and PC get Starfield during the holidays. That would be something.

2 Likes

not a fan of buying up more publishers tbh, hope that shit is fucking done for. It seems like Zenimax was stalling so it might have made sense, but yeah that should be it. Individual studios, small to medium size are fine (asobo, dontnod, etc), but hopefully this doesn’t set a bad precedent.

1 Like

the only way they should buy another publisher is if Sony going for them but ya i agree

the thing is Sony literally cannot afford that. It’s an open field for MS and MS alone at the moment, even though companies like Google and Amazon and Facebook are tryna get into the industry rn, they are still super far away to establish any mainstream presence, and that freedom MS have at the moment can run rampant.

It is a lesser evil, otherwise, Amazon, Google, Apple would jump on these studios and ruin them. Better stay under MS umbrella

3 Likes

Sony can afford one but i dont think its smart for them and I just dont want someone to get Capcom cause of RE and i wanna play them on mine xbox

1 Like