Microsoft backtracks Xbox Live Gold price hike, also ends membership requirement for Free-to-Play Games [2021-01-22]

“INSIDERS”

:rofl:

they’ll keep GWG, but they need to drop paywall for F2P games. I think best thing to do is offer a cheaper price for online play only like $25-$40/years is prob a price many will pay just for online play

What an idiotic decision and one quite frankly I’m shocked they’re making.

The optics on this is horrible and I totally get why…

1 Like

Scummy as hell. At least make F2P games really free without mandatory Gold.

1 Like

They deserve all the shit that will get thrown at them today.

I bought a full year of PSN for $32 DOLLARS.

1 Like

Huge Xbox fan…this is the most short sighted move I have seen from them in a long time. Just, wow!

2 Likes

They did it on a Friday so it wouldn’t get bad press all week too lol

2 Likes

Typically bad news is delivered on Fridays on the business world.

3 Likes

Well with all this extra money maybe they can go buy Ubi, EA, Take Two…

For a long time I didn’t mind paying for Gold, but as Xbox’s strategy has evolved so too should the services it offers. As someone who has joined Game Pass Ultimate this doesn’t affect me, but it certainly affects a lot of others. It is absurd given everything else they’re doing to double the yearly cost for people who want to play games online, even moreso when you factor in there being no offered benefits. You cannot pivot to a play anywhere structure and penalize the people who invest the most directly into your ecosystem by playing and buying games on your console. You can’t talk about how hard 2020 has been on people when offering different console models and follow that up with this news. Xbox is going to get a lot of flack for this, and it is all deserved.

EDIT: Didn’t see the GWG post for February when I posted this - that doesn’t warrant the price increase. Drop the multiplayer paywall, a huge reason people pay for Gold, and turn Gold into GWG where you get additional deals and games. It isn’t even really a discussion.

3 Likes

So 12months is going to be $120? Or are they phasing that out?

I think everyone here needs to stop and realize Microsoft has all the data behind the scenes on this. We don’t.

Also, don’t forget this change doesn’t affect anyone who already has their credit card auto renewing for $60 a year.

They have likely seen a large percentage of their Gold customers move over to Game Pass Ultimate. This new policy only affects new customers, so it’s clearly a push to try and get everyone into Game Pass Ultimate, which there will still be deals to find cheaper, as we’ve seen for a long time now.

This was probably their plan for a while, probably the reason why Series X is the same price as the PS5 despite having more expensive specs.

This makes sense , because there goal is to shift people to game pass ultimate. For me as a customer it does not effect me to much as i subscribe to GPU, and i like the gpu model and its only going to get better so this is not a problem for me.

1 Like

Sorry @XboxP3 this is the first really big thing Xbox has got wrong in ages. You talk about bringing gaming to people, and increasing the accessibility and making Xbox the equivalent of a good PC type experience yet are charging people more and more to play online or be in a party chat all things that your PC gamers can do for free whilst playing Microsoft games (or any other games). This is not a good look. You are trying to justify a fee to play online - when that service is in effect already paid for by people’s broadband provider charges. Its not good, not democratising gaming and instead is a negative.

Sure for me and many other gamers who have GPU its irrelevant - but not everyone does or can subscribe to that. I’ve long since thought charging people to play a game online (where they have to pay for the privilege of playing the game and using ITS servers and PAY their ISP for their outgoing and incoming data) was immoral. And I’m afraid that’s where its at now. This is not good. There is no value in what you are offering and the reality is that PC gamers in this instance are being treated like royalty whereas gaming on console has a very heavy price to pay for what is free elsewhere.

Shame. A real shame.

6 Likes

This is still better then charging $70/£70 for all there new games.

1 Like

You need to remember Xbox is a busniess, yes Phil has said those things but this sort of thing is out of his control most likely but it doesn’t mean he suddenly doesn’t want that anymore.

Stop defending this

2 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better myself…really disappointed by this to be honest.

Well I guess it comes with the Xbox territory, it all went too well so I guess they just had to fuck this up somehow.

1 Like

Im not, Xbox still offer the best value in gaming.