Microsoft backtracks Xbox Live Gold price hike, also ends membership requirement for Free-to-Play Games [2021-01-22]

Yep

Do you guys think the 12 for $60 option will always be there? I don’t know whether I should stack 2 more years ontop of the 1 I have now or just to wait and see what happens. $60 for half a year is too expensive

You can still get 12 month digital codes from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Live-Gold-Membership-Digital/dp/B002VBWIP6/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=12+month+xbox+live+digital+code&qid=1611300090&sprefix=12+month+x&sr=8-3

Just buy two more years and convert to Ultimate. A friend of mine literally bought 3 years for $180 earlier today. Then subscribed to Gamepass Ultimate for $1. All three years got converted to Ultimate and he actually got 2 extra months free for joining Ultimate. He’s set until March on 2024

1 Like

Huh?

Wait so someone posts a pic of a 6 month code and everyone just believes it straight away? how do people know if this is legit and not some bs like the vape smoke. Is there a picture of the back or just the front?

The hilarious thing would be this is a ploy to get people to panic buy gold before it goes up then MS announces it’s going away.

This feels like the wrong move. Short sighted. Right now, if I’m a parent buying my kid a console because they want to play Fortnite, Apex or CoD, it costs me $120 a year on Xbox. Nothing on Playstation. Those Fortnite customers are potential Game Pass customers in the future.

For most enthusiasts who have Game Pass, it’s irrelevant. Most of us who understand the system already have Ultimate. Problem is this will leave a bad taste in the mouth for everyone else. Wrong way to push people towards GPU.

1 Like

My GPU lasts until November this year. Can I do the “trick” again then or can I actually extend now?

ttps://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/01/22/update-on-xbox-live-gold-pricing/

Update on Xbox Live Gold Pricing

Since we launched Xbox Live (18 years ago!), we’ve been working to make it the most advanced multiplayer network available, for the greatest community of gamers — and there are a lot of you. Millions of people come together on Xbox to play with friends and discover great games. We invest in our community by strengthening the digital safety of our players, enabling new ways to share, communicate and play with your friends, and delivering industry leading reliability across our network.

Periodically, we assess the value and pricing of our services to reflect changes in regional marketplaces and to continue to invest in the Xbox community; we’ll be making price adjustments for Xbox Live Gold in select markets. In many markets, the price of Xbox Live Gold has not changed for years and in some markets, it hasn’t changed for over 10 years

• If you’re an existing online 12-month or 6-month Xbox Live Gold member, there’s no price change. If you choose to renew your membership, it will renew at the current price.
  • The price of a 1-month Gold membership is increasing $1 USD and the price of a 3-month membership is increasing $5 USD or the equivalent amount in your local market.
  • If you’d like to upgrade your Gold membership to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate your remaining Gold time will also convert directly to Ultimate (up to 36 months). For example, if you have 11 months of Xbox Live Gold now, and you upgrade to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, those 11 months convert to 11 months of Ultimate at no additional cost.

Click to shrink…

Members have already been notified in some regions. If you’re in a region where prices are being adjusted, you will receive an email and a message center notification over the next month letting you know what the new pricing is for your membership. Going forward, new pricing will be 1-month for $10.99, 3-months for $29.99, and 6-months for $59.99, or your local market equivalent. You can always visit your account to manage your membership, and prices won’t adjust until at least 45 days after you receive the messages.

2 Likes

So their reasoning… “safety” and… inflation?

Oh MS. Not like this.

Price of the brick goin up - YouTube

A reference to The Wire?

1 Like

I’ve found the recent conversation around Gold becoming free quite amusing to watch. No company is going to walk away from a reoccurring subscription charge they already have millions of people tied into.

These changes today seem very intentionally designed to push people towards subscribing to Game Pass Ultimate. It’s clearly the best value.

They need to also announce F2P games will no longer need the gold paywall because its ridiculous to increase the price and still charge for that when other platforms have it free.

This is a very bad move, and I think it might steer some away from getting into ecosystem since some may not be interested in gamepass. I think best way to solve this is create a xbox gold lite or call it silver and charge a cheap price like $30/year for online MP

1 Like

They already had / have ? Xbox Live Silver.

They’ve very clearly made their decision here, and they have no intention of offering people a cheaper option. They must have data that suggests to them this isn’t a big issue for most people.

yeah xbox live silver were accounts that were not gold, but yeah prob bad to bring back that name. I think it will be best to call it xbox live gold lite and make it $30/year for online play and possibly a choice of 1 free game that is in gold

Do we know which regions this is in? It says “select” markets.

I don’t see Game with gold making it through this year, tbh. It kind of goes against what they want to do with GamePass.

What MS did is pretty smart. Scummy as hell, but smart. They Leapfrogged GPU in price to make it the more attractive proposition. But I know a ton of people who have 0 interest in GamePass that will be really pissed off about this.

Mind you, I guess if you have a gold subscription, you’ll be autorenewed at the original price?

Still, you have to keep in mind a ton of people play one or two games a year, all year. COD, Fortnite, etc. This could really suck for them.

they just added more games for next month and also having Gears 5, I feel like this might be a common thing so I can’t see GwG leaving.

They’re not going to increase the price of Gold and then take away the games with gold. They’ll probably continue to offer the mediocre selection of games they’ve been doing for a while now.