Microsoft and GameStop partnership for Xbox

Plus cloud and surface devices!

6 Likes

Another big client for Azure !

3 Likes

Microsoft is going to extremely aggressive

5 Likes

Interesting. Seems like these stores could easily be converted in MS stores if GameStop ever goes out business…

EDIT: scratch that, looks like MS has gotten out of that business

1 Like

Smart strategic decision. MS being hungry and agressive to expand their reach and brand awareness. Good, good.

2 Likes

Additionally, GS doesn’t own its stores. So that’s unlikely.

From someone not familiar with Gamestop (not present in my country), how big of deal is this?

It means the biggest videogame specific retailer in the US will be pushing All Access and GamePass. It’s a positive in that respect.

6 Likes

Now that I think about it, this might be the first step of MS acquiring GameStop and convert them to Xbox Stores.

The biggest selling proposition that MS stores had was gaming. Kids would go there to simply game on console and PC as it was a free arcade.

They could sell gaming PCs, consoles, games, and services in store. They don’t need full blown MS stores that sell Samsung phones, accessories, and Surface products.

Specially because this gen their push for ps4 was very strong.

In multiple stores I got in looking for Xbox accessories and games and had their employees trying to sell me a ps4.

I stopped going to GameStop back in 2012ish because every time I went in they would try to get me to pre-order everything or would tell me things about games that I knew were absurdly false. It got so bad that one time I said “No!” really loud and just walked out. Never went back. That place sucks.

1 Like

Accelerating Game Pass subscription = More Studio or Publisher aquistions smart move Microsoft.

1 Like

Awesome…I have over $700 in trade in credit, hoping I can get some discounts on Xbox digital purchases and stuff. LOL. Wonder if the long rumored trading in digital games becomes a thing now.

Isn’t this just about backend infrastructure?

1 Like
2 Likes

The article mentions All Access and Gamepass. I suspect it is both. The backend infrastructure has no impact on gaming directly.

1 Like

MSFT has gotten very aggressive and I really like the investment in gaming. I have a lot pf confidence in xbox this upcoming gen.

2 Likes

Wonder if this had anything to do with Reggie haha, isn’t he on the board there or something.

1 Like

Good. I like this. Mostly for Game Stop employees. Worried that a bunch were going to be job searching in this crappy market. A lot of people like to pile on Game Stop but over the years I’ve met quite a few good people working there. Would be nice to see them add some incentive for us digital gamers to want to stop in.

3 Likes

My wife and I were just saying the same earlier, Gamestop shuddered a lot of store this year because of COVID and regardless of how anyone feels about Gamestop as a whole, this is just so wonderful that jobs are going to be saved as a result of this deal. Right now, especially with millions in the US still unemployed, any chance to save and potentially create more jobs is a welcome sight. I’m also with you in regards to the employees, as I’ve had such great conversations with some of them over the years and I like to think that most of them genuinely love helping people with their favorite hobby.

Fun fact: I also have a sentimentality for Gamestop as it’s where I became friends with Lowell Cunningham (creator of Men In Black). Great dude who always wears a Speed Racer shirt every time I’ve hung out with him and generally has awful taste in video games lol.

5 Likes