Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Sony is aware that what they have right now is only possible to keep with the status quo.

They are not Nintendo where third parties need Nintendo more than Nintendo needs them, and they are not Microsoft that can write off any expenses relatively easily.

All they have, every advantage they have holds true only with the market share advantage.

Agreed and Sony need to adapt, this generation is not same as the 90’s or 2000’s, this time Sony has competition not only from Microsoft or Nintendo, new players arrived and their are not afraid to invest or make alliances (Tencent, Embracer, ect.). The landscape of the video games industry is changing fast and everyone need to adapt or left behind. It’s theirs choice!

2 Likes

I think the difference in acquisitions is Sonys vs MS thinking.

Microsoft knows if they spend 7.5B on a company they can sell gamepass to Console, PC and billions of phones and set them up as the Netflix of games.

When Sony does their math they look at it like How many $70 games will this sell.

I think Sony needs to adapt, but the timing is very important for them. Doing it too soon and you harm the cash flow of the company, do it too late and it’ll be hard to catch up to competitors.

We have to remember that Sony relies on the cash flow provided by Playstation. They can’t absorb a hit on income like Microsoft can.

4 Likes

True, but the funny thing is there’s was a time when Sony has the opportunity to invest and develop in the areas that they are now begging (screaming and crying) to regulators saying that it’s not fair competition to them.

Exactly, as @jasheeldz mentioned earlier, this is Sony’s MO. When they have a business model that works, they have time and again been too slow to adapt to changing times. It’s a testament to what a power house they once were that they have been able to remain relevant despite all these missteps.

The past is littered with companies that like Sony had every advantage but were too slow to adapt, and then fell by the wayside. Time will tell if they’ll be able to rise again like Apple, of end up like Kodak. I very much feel that they are at the crossroads that will ultimately lead to one of those outcomes. So far they seem to be glancing down the road that Kodak and others chose, but it’s not too late to course correct.

3 Likes
21 Likes

Because they are not the ones leading that change, if they were the ones with a service as good as Xcloud and Gamepass they would be all for that change, Sony does not want an industry where they don’t get to control the narrative, they want the cake and eat it too, full priced games for 70$ (maybe even 80$ next gen) and then put those games on their own subscription service a year or 2 after release when millions have already bought it at full price, it’s not the most consumer friendly industry but it is what they want and they will be fighting hard to keep it that way, if there ever comes a time when they think being more “consumer friendly” will help them then maybe you will see them change their business practices, they took full advantage of the Xbox One debacle as anyone would’ve to be fair but that success has made them a much worse company for it and we’re already seeing it and their fans don’t even care.

Example: Raising PS5 prices even though they found ways to manufacture them cheaper, publicly announcing they will double down on 3rd party exclusives, some trust worthy insiders even saying they were specifically targeting games associated with Xbox (basically trying to kill the competition) and we know that’s true due to their actions, going after Bethesda games, a company historically associated with Xbox was probably the most aggressive move they ever made and there’s more.

They basically put Microsoft in a corner and forced them to be the way that they are currently and now they are afraid of that, it’s seriously f*cking pathetic, it wouldn’t bother me much if not for the incompetent CMA trying to make my gaming experience worse if because of their incompetence I won’t be playing COD and other ABK games on Gamepass next year.

1 Like

The point MS made about Sony increasing prices because of their market position is what I have mentioned as well. You can argue right now that the consumer is already getting hurt and that in this instance Sony actually needs more competition.

Which is why Brazil called out their BS and pretty much told them tough, compete with Microsoft. We are not here to bail you out.

1 Like

This isn’t new right, we’ve already seen a few of these things, this is just the full response instead of the few bits cut up the last few days correct?

I was hoping to see them respond to nonsense like lying about Bethesda games/their games not being on other subscription services

1 Like

12 Likes

Microsoft has built cloud infrastructure twice to stick it to Sony :joy:

So rather than moneyhattting, Sony could rent a couple of apartments and put PS5 server blades there :fire:

The one area i have been surprised by them in is VR. This is a very early market and they have dove in full force.

Well Microsoft should just wait till it’s big then when Sony buys a VR studio complain that it’s not fair and how dare they /s

On another topic, I just noticed that Geforce Now has had/has 10 million customers which is probably more than GP:U so that is worth thinking about when it comes to cloud stuff. It’s also better quality too than xCloud.

3 Likes

Absolutely. A lot of talk about this was brought up a couple months after tthe acquisition on this forum. Everyone was fairly confisent that would be apparent to regulators in their research. It appears however that we may have overestimated the ability of regulator to learn different market dynamics and assess technological similarities.

1 Like

It honestly just feels like they are looking at it like

Microsoft is big > they have cloud > their cloud is big > bad

3 Likes

Yeah this is the text of the response a few days ago

Yes. I don’t even see how thats relevant to the CMA anyway. So what if they release their games day 1? Sony stil has a game subscription service.

Perfect response friend. The only thing I’d add is that Sony of the last 30 years is a considerably more fiscally-conservative company when it comes to taking on debt - the last substantial loan that I recall them taking out was in 2006 (with a decade preceding the last instance).

6 Likes

Microsoft/Xbox thinking to future with cloud/streaming/subscriptions whilst Sony/PlayStation wanting to stick to the status quo of gaming hardware console exclusives. Software sales

Reminds me of how Sony/PlayStation saw the future in gaming on CD and using their music publishing and tech for CD’s to muscle out the old way of cartridges used by Nintendo to become no1. Ironically this actually made Nintendo lose games to Sony. I believe they nicked final fantasy because of this if I’m correct.