Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread (Part 1)

So a question here: Is the CMA going to request any documentation from Sony? Like will Sony have to reveal some of their dealings assuming MS will claim that Sony has their own exclusive deals that harm Xbox?

Buying it since itā€™s MW2.

They likely already have and if not will as part of phase 2. Most of these regs ask around for opinions or insight on potential impacts (such as what Brazil did, they just did it out in the open). We will likely never see documents they filed though as they are private. Its not like an open lawsuit like apple v epic (and even that had leaked documentation)

they could go to phase 3. Share mrs.sonyā€™s exclusives contract. I am going to take a stab and say they will cower like baby fawn hearing a footstep.

Not buying, probably also not playing if it hits GP. Modern CoD just doesnā€™t do anything for me. Iā€™ll be looking for BO2 though.

Not trying to be disrespectful at all. I see the ā€œmore of the same commentsā€ quite regularly, surly theres only so much you can do with a fps especially when its in the modern warfare universe. What would you do to change it up? Ill definitely buy it just to get owned in the multiplayer haha

Infinite or advanced warfare 2 would be great

I will buying Day 1.

2 Likes
7 Likes

Starting to feel worried the acquisition might fall through.

Do we think if MS is forced as a concession to sell off all the call of duty developers and its IP, they would still want to acquire ABK for the same piece?

That concession would never ever ever happen. The regulatory body would need to prep a great court case because thatā€™s where that would be heading.

Where we are in the process right now is on track. A deep dive of concerns that regulatory bodies have or had competitors bring up was expected.

If anything, the concerns brought up so far have led to little concern for Microsoft in my opinion. The concerns that Sony brought up were weak arguments easily dismissed with data and examples. The cloud concerns are the biggest issue for Xbox to navigate at this point.

4 Likes

This your first large acquisition?

15 Likes

This is a big deal. Itā€™s supposed to be heavily scrutinized by the FTC, CMA, FCA and so on. They are supposed to ask all these hard (and sometimes obnoxious) questions because spoiler alert, itā€™s there job. Just because it went to phase 2 doesnā€™t mean a thing, there was always going to be a second look by the larger markets.

Now the concession you said is not realistic because owning COD and itā€™s developers is not the issue, and never has been. Itā€™s always been about the exclusivity. They are going to push MS hard on this end all the way until the very last hour. They can even extend the phase 2, 24 week period by another 8 weeks if the two sides have still not reached a consensus. So I would get comfortable lol, we got a long way to go.

3 Likes

who could they sell COD and the studio to?

Because, if you sell COD studio (and support COD studio), that only let you Blizzard & King, and it would probably be a price near the Take2 acquisitions on Zinga so a 10-15B max

Who could you sell the COD ? ā€“>The employe could never have this cash flow. ā†’ Big competitor like T2 or EA do not have enough too ā†’ Sony not enough cash and competition issue ā†’ Google or Amazon = Same position problem than Microsoft ā†’ Apple = never like war licence so not interested

So it only let use Tencent or Netease.

Tencent is already the bigest in gaming industry, and the number one one E-sport (they own RIOT games). So with COD ligue they would nearly own the esport market (except fighting games)

Only left is Netease (I donā€™t know if they got the cash or not, but let suposse they got it)

So if they do something like that, the only company that could buy the biggest gaming franchise US is a Chinese company.

ā€œOf course, any acquisition of this size will go through scrutiny, but we feel very, very confident that weā€™ll come out,ā€ he said in an interview with Bloomberg Television.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1572946779011977217?t=VuSDwwjnLeOpkP0C92v-xQ&s=19

20 Likes

This CEO is doing all kind of great moves.

5 Likes

Nadella sent his regards

8 Likes

Nadella just leveled up with that kill streak.

aggressive guitar sounds

4 Likes

Of course they are confident. They wagered 3 billion that it will complete.

5 Likes

Itā€™s the first time for MS to formally mention sony as rival in recent years. In the old days, both Phil and Satya regarded Amazon态Apple态Google as competitors only, until now. Good luck Sony, for every thing you did

1 Like