Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread (Part 1)

MoH is dead, and you can’t have a monopoly on a game genre.

TBF before CoD Xbox was already the WRPG and FPS machine.

All they need is CDPR and Bioware and they have the bulk of the big WRPG titles.

Not according to the Internet Lawyers on Twitters and other forums! :phil_lmao:

Probably not going to get Bioware so they should get CDPR and Humanoid.

1 Like

CDPR and Rebel Wolves. Kind of have a Bethesda Obsidian situation there. I think it would be good for internal competition.

Except Rebel Wolves produced nothing yet.

Technically neither have most of the XGS or Bethesda studios.

FH5 is the first game from the acquistions that have been fully released by an XGS post-acquisition.

• Bleeding Edge was already being made.
  • TOW was already being made
  • Wasteland 3 was also previously announced as a Kickstarter
  • Grounded is not “Fully Release 1.0” yet.
  • Deathloop and Tokyo GhostWire haven’t released on Xbox yet.

You could maybe make an argument for DF and Psycho 2 since Psycho 2 was greatly improved upon by Microsoft funding, but it was previously announced as a Kickstarter prior to the acquisition :person_shrugging:

What? All the acquired studios - The Initiative aside - has the history of producing games. What are you talking about?

1 Like

Oh you meant like produced produced, never mind misunderstood.

I mean RW has a history of making games, just under a different studio.

It’s the talent not the name.

Whatever, never mind.

As talented as CDPR are I’m not sure if it’s worthwhile.

CDPR don’t own the Witcher IP. Plus most of their value comes from GOG.com which MS may have to spin-off as they would be buying a competing storefront.

Rebel Wolves (new studio) may be a better opportunity.

Just because you create a studio, doesn’t mean you will produce anything. The fundamental problem with all these new studios is that they will have to grow. The only thing Microsoft might be interested in is - like Sony - make some third party deal.

Microsoft doesn’t acquire random stuff without some strategy.

I would take that bet. This isn’t just a chump crew that was assembled. You have 10+ year veterans of CD project working their with skill sets in being

Creative Director

Quest Director

Narrative Director

Animation Director

Art Director

A lot of them have been working together for years already, and have built a chemistry working on most of the Witcher games and Cyberpunk

I would personally not. At best I would make a deal like Sony does with all these other studios.

Microsoft is very strategic with their acquisitions. Acquisitions of 2017-2018 are quite interesting though and I suspect Microsoft went around asking all the possible studios regarding who wants to be acquired.

Now the market has changed.

Battle. Net is a competing storefront but I doubt they’ll be forced to sell it. GOG would probably be similar. I’m not too worried about The Witcher, they could always leverage Xbox’s existing IP or just straight up also buy The Witcher IP off the owner.

It is, however GOG is much bigger IMO. It’s up there with Epic & Green Man.

I was leading on the assumption the Battle.Net will go through too, however if MS start buying up all the PC storefronts it will be frowned upon.

Bethesda use to have its own one too!

Is it though?

GoG is a money-loser isn’t it?

Like didn’t they start cutting back on GoG because it’s not doing that great?

2 Likes

They’ve seen massive growth in the past few years.

They have over 4,000 games available whereas Battle.net has under 20?

I was more thinking about MAU, rather than the amount of games .

1 Like

When he says they will work to close the gap it seems to me he is hedging rather self-servingly. It also is interesting wrt the 30% cut since iirc they moved away from that on PC but not console, which is…awkward given their stance to say the least, lol.

The guidelines still would be used even if they didn’t get into law until after the deal closed since FTC would rely on the draft legislation in the interim to avoid having issues post-closing if they opted to sue later on. This is the biggest reason I am personally so confident that the deal will sail through FTC scrutiny (read his follow ups as well in the tweet thread as well):

https://twitter.com/RepKenBuck/status/1483564026919596032

2 Likes