Microsoft-Activision-Blizzard Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Sorry if someone has already commented on this article. But this was by far one of the worst things I’ve read on this site.

15 Likes

Yeah, I love some of the guys there but this was an uneducated, parroting of talking points that take a super narrow focus of the gaming industry. Still viewing the industry like it’s a console wars sport.

19 Likes

Absolutely there will be a new Warcraft game. And you know who will make it? Mark my words, Creative Assembly

3 Likes

i hard disagree i see more positives than negatives this is essentially activision-blizzard’s last chance at redemption and microsoft was the best option

2 Likes

This man said Halo and Forza are a redundant franchise and compared them to COD

11 Likes

Like I get it, I’m not too thrilled about this purchase and I’m not going to act like COD is suddenly a great franchise like some others are doing, now that MS bought them but this monopoly narrative is hilarious, one simple google search will tell you MS is not even close to being one. “In the gaming sphere atleast”

4 Likes

Imagine an Age of Empires crossover with Starcraft.

Call it Age of Starcraft… Boom instantly printed money right there, See this gaming malarkey is ez

2 Likes

Wow this is a horrible take. Idk what his evidence is that there’s very few big boys in the industry left. I mean this industry has so many big boys its wild. Let’s list them out:

• Warner/Discovery (WB Games)
  • Electronic Arts
  • Take Two
  • Focus Home
  • Ubisoft
  • Nexon
  • Paradox
  • NIS
  • Konami
  • Koei Tecmo
  • Capcom
  • Sega
  • Square Enix
  • Bandai Namco
  • Sony
  • Nintendo
  • Google (Stadia)
  • Amazon (Luna)

Then there are lots that are on the cusp of breaking into this space, Bungie, CDPR, Devolver etc.

8 Likes

Yeah, I dislike COD too but the good thing is that COD is the franchise with the most potential to increase the Xbox userbase and with that reduce the number of PS money hat games.

1 Like

Also Tencent, Embracer Group, Steam/PC, the entire mobile space (iOS and Android).

7 Likes

:green_heart: Its a very competitive space.

1 Like

It’s also never been easier to get into the space. Even without mega publishers, games are coming out at an absurd pace from smaller independent devs.

2 Likes

Keep in mind regulation here doesn’t stop just because one company isn’t presently seen as ‘dominant’. They are just as eager to scrutinize potentially anti-competitive actions by small companies as they are large companies (and of course, MS and this deal are not exactly small anyhow, heh).

That said, yeah I dunno how big a revenue slice would need to be for them to take issue with it in the context I’ve been discussing. It is clear that Sony investors felt it was significant enough to take $20bil off the stock value on the news though, so there’s that. But hard to know where to draw the line there especially from the outside. I do know MS had to offer specific assurances to a congressman about game exclusivity, which (combined with what Phil, Sony, Activision/MS have said) leads me to find it more and more likely CoD isn’t exclusive going forward.

tom henderson seems to disagree with you tavish hill man this discussion is getting tiresome very fast ugh

Tom Henderson doesn’t know anything unique here. This isn’t a matter of rumor mongering or leaks. It’s a matter of accounting for what MS/Activision/Sony/Phil all said as well as what the congressman said. /shrugs

yea like i said this discussion is annoying already lol

Yikes that article is cringey. 0.0

1 Like

I don’t know why people keep looking at this from the “console” markets point of view. Gaming overall is HUGE.

Screw Sony and what they stand to make or loose on MS acquiring Activision.

Fact is that when this gets “scrutinized” they will see that even with this purchase MS’s overall share of the overall video game industry will still be around 10%. Maybe less.

People crying antitrust and monopoly are Sony fanboys who are emotionally invested in their favorite plastic box.

There’s no antitrust here. No monopoly. The “scrutiny” of this deal will actually make the deal go thru pretty smoothly.

6 Likes

The gaming market is far from being consolidated. The rest is nonsense.

5 Likes

It’s also naive to think the industry will not be consolidated anyway. It happens to every industry you can think and gaming will be no different.

4 Likes