Metroid Dread Reviews (88 OC/88 MC)

Yup, £59.99 each for those two specific games. I guess they knew demand was high enough to get away with it.

Saw this on Nick’s twitter feed and it’s so true. :partying_face:

This fuckin’ game is getting better and better as it goes on, like holy shit. :open_mouth: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

The real Metroid was inside you all along.

(Unrelated): I beat it a few days ago with 66% completion. It’s good, and probably the best Metroid yet. I think that game scores are broken in general and I’m not looking to start up a long conversation about this, but I don’t think this game deserves an 88. I would personally put it at a solid 75 which is an excellent score. Using the weirdly-curved scale we’re stuck with I guess that would be like…82?

It’s pretty much just Metroid. If you like Metroid (and I do) then that’s great, but I feel like it doesn’t do a ton to stand above previous entries. It can be pretty frustrating, but I appreciate how extremely generous the checkpointing is. I have too little time and too many other games to play to get 100% on this like I did the others so I don’t think I’ll be picking it up again. It’s a real shame that it has the cloud of shitty work conditions hanging above it.

1 Like

Its no way near the best Metroid. I’d probably put it at number 5 myself. The EMMI sections as well as the linearity and lack of exploration mid game hurt it from being top tier.

Thinking that the best Metroid game in your opinion is only worth 75% is really something…we are in Betroid territory levels of conspiracy theory right now but I know, I know opinions and all. :sweat_smile:

Seems like this is the forerunner to win GOTY.

there are so many games this year that are gonna be frontrunners for GOTY tbh.

1 Like

Yep! 2021 is amazing so far and there still is FH5 and Halo Infinite! such an excellent year! :partying_face:

[quote=“Ruthwik_Rao, post:67, topic:9328”]

there are so many games this year that are gonna be frontrunners for GOTY tbh.

[/quote] 100%, it's been a fantastic year for all type of genres.

I’m just talking about TGA’s. If I was a betting man, I’d go with Metroid just slightly ahead of the other games.

wow this is an interesting tidbit, showing just how damaging lack of crediting can be.

2 Likes

Eh, it’s been a while since I played Super and Fusion so I’m willing to agree with you. The EMMI sections were close to being great but fall just short and end up being frustrating most of the time. I’m kind of holding out hope that they put out a patch to rebalance it somehow so they can get there. I do agree with the exploration aspect.

Ha ha, I see how it comes off and I promise I’m not trying to start shit. I love the Metroid games and played them all to death back in the day. It’s just that the landscape of gaming has changed since then and I feel like this entry doesn’t do enough to deal with almost twenty years of evolution. My scale is very subjective but I do try to take into account my biases and not inflate a game’s score because of its pedigree or whatever hype I might feel because of my history with it. (What is Betroid? Is it like a knock-off or something?)

I don’t see how old school design or staying true to a series basic concepts is a flaw especially when Dread is designed so well and plays so good in every aspect.

I found things like the high execution barrier for basic things in controls a breath of fresh air and the upped challenge of the game (which is over exaggerated so much IMO) a positive thing, pair that with great level design, top-notch pacing with a very good feel of progression and empowerment, incredible movement/battle and some really awesome bosses and you have one hell of a Metroid/metroidvania game IMO. For me the game is up there with Hollow Knight and Ori 2 in terms of quality (from the most recent metroidvania games so I don’t count Super Metroid or SOTN) with each game offering something different and unique, all 3 are so good that it’s up to everyone’s personal preferences to choose which one is the best IMO.

I guess if you are scoring this in the mid 70 range we have completely different opinions on how important innovation or evolution is…oh well as I said opinions and all. :stuck_out_tongue: :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I didn’t say that those things were flaws and I agree that the difficulty argument is overblown and mitigated by the very generous checkpoints. My personal scale is extremely subjective and is meant to illustrate where I think where a game lands relative to all other games I’ve played. It is also based on the grading system with which I grew up and not the US one where 75 is average and anything under it is a failure or whatever it is.

Please take my word for it that 75 is a very good score on my scale. I would have been pretty happy to average 15/20 throughout my academic career :stuck_out_tongue:

Do you think that Metroid Dread deserves an 88 and deserves its place in the hall of fame here?

I can’t speak for most of these as the only games on it I’ve gotten the chance to play are Death’s Door and Psychonauts 2, and I enjoyed them much more than Metroid Dread (probably 81 and 92, respectively)

Absolutely yes and without a shadow of a doubt. Also played Death’s Door, Psychonauts 2, It Takes Two from that list and loved all of them btw, amazing games. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We had a pretty great year! I’m glad you liked Metroid so much and I hope you know I’m not trying to take it away from you :smiley:

1 Like

Well even if you wanted you can’t but yeah good to know. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also 2021 is one hell of a year, totally agree on that one! :partying_face:

1 Like

Metroid Dread is causing some people to do & say some silly things.

David Jaffe is using the game to continue his downward spiral. He got stuck because he refuses to angle his shots using the free-aim function & insists on jump-shooting, so he missed a destructible block on the ceiling in a room. Then he pissed & moaned about bad game design. Then he got into fights online with people who pointed out his fault. & he’s not letting it go, he seems willing to die on this stupid hill!

A couple of days after Dread released, Kotaku put up an article basically advising people to pirate the game, which is kinda shitty. Then they decided that wasn’t enough garbage clickbait & wrote another article complaining that Samus doesn’t have to be emotionless to be badass &, I kid you not, that she should smile more :upside_down_face::rofl:

It’s all got me thinking about how much of a struggle it can be to simply enjoy things these days, in the age of online communication. Some of us just can’t do it.

3 Likes

While I agree with your point, I have to point out that Jaffe and Kotaku are hardly bastions of rational thought or exemplars of good takes :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

89 is a great score for dread(updated score) and probably higher than it deserves slightly. 4 of the mainline games have 90+ scores and would be 5 if super metroid had reviews. Personally I’d give it a solid 8 maybe 85.

The soundtrack alone puts it down a notch. Game would have scored higher if it had even a half decent soundtrack. That’s probably the most disappointing aspect of it.