Looks like Apple are entering the gaming arena

I don’t think Google will to be honest, they don’t even care about Stadia and I can see Sony and maybe Nintendo teaming up with a tech giant, Nintendo and Microsoft probably could work something out.

1 Like

Apple taking gaming seriously was always going to happen.

Let’s see if they make it easier for developers to access compute shaders via Apple APIs - this is the main reason why developers like Frontier stopped supporting games like Elite Dangerous on Apple hardware.

As for MS, I think they’re in a good spot right now, with all the bases covered, incoming powerful hardware and options galore for gamers to play games where they want and how they want. Apple may have the money but they have a lot of work to get to where Xbox (or for that matter, Playstation) are now.

2 Likes

Battle of trillion dollar corporations begins.

1 Like

Cloud gamming is a good base load for edge computing. During the late night / early morning and the middle of the day, those xbox’s in the sky are going to be sold as cloud compute for pure profit.

Been saying this for weeks some people acted like this isnt big deal for Microsoft, just wait when one of the other three land a Zenimax like deal, it will be a sickening feeling.

1 Like

Sony along with Nintendo still have some of the most popular IPs in gaming. They will be fine and long term they will be very desirable acquisition target for Apple, Google and Amazon especially when including their other entertainment portfolio.

1 Like

Yep, next five years are going to be interesting.

1 Like

Nintendo going third party has been a meme for so long but if the industry consolidates around cloud gaming in the next decade I do not see them continuing to be a platform holder. Sony could be in trouble as well. They seem to be doubling down on their tried and true console business rather than building up PSNow for the future.

3 Likes

Really wished they would of been able to acquire WB games could you imagine that Haymaker along with the other Haymaker Zenimax.

1 Like

Never say never. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This is the same song and dance we’ve heard for years.

I’ll believe it when I see it.

2 Likes

Yes, its goong to be interesting to see what direction sony will go, if take2, EA, WB etc get gobbled up by google/amazon/Microsoft. I think they will continue with there current strategy, but it will be sort of a contradiction, if the sony + azure deal goes ahead I dont see PS5s going into azure data centres, PS5 games will work on azure PC’s and maybe quite ironically on XsX hardware, otherwise sonys cloud gaming offerings will be not much different to what it is now. Sonys not going to invest millions on PS5s in data centres.

1 Like