Layoffs at Microsoft hit 343 industries and Bethesda Games Studios

Over the years Xbox biggest hurdle was Microsoft itself. Corporations are fickle, and change strategy all the time.

2 Likes

Sad stuff.

Hopefully all of these talented folks at Meta, Amazon, MS etc etc land on their feet asap.

2 Likes

Why would the? In 2004 it was bigger than GTA. Now its just another 50 million seller along with Forza, CoD, Warcraft, Sea of Thieves, Minecraft, Candy Crush, Diablo, Elder Scrolls, Fallout etc.

Dont be ridiculous.

Everything in general. It’s just an unfortunate phase that businesses tend to enter. The company had 220,000, the most it has been recorded. Now, like many other big tech company, it has gone through a layoff phase. It’s not just gaming, it’s other departments like HoloLens. It wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a narrative of Xbox ending or whatever they can make them look bad. It’s already bad enough with layoff; it honestly has no need for unwarranted extra narrative.

1 Like

Just asking. Maybe Multiplayer + Tatanka is actual 343’s priority. Staten was the writer and director of Endless.

1 Like

Although it sucks, at the very least Staten has moved to Xbox Publishing.

Also, I wouldn’t write off Halo Infinite as it seems that a large chunk of layoffs have been those working on the SP side. And we know that they have become all hands-on deck on the MP side. Regardless, this is still awful.

Also, it has been heavily rumored that plans for any single-player DLCS were scrapped months ago. So, it does not surprise me as much that these devs were laid off. Regardless, I am trying to make sense of something that is awful and should not have happened in the first place.

3 Likes

Was infinite a huge seller. Genuine question?. Was the sales reported. Gamepass kinda negates sales now.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1615793682615083011?t=k606D58l0p64lUHohsDBuQ&s=19

4 Likes

I imagine Holo Lens the most since the army don’t use it anymore it seems

1 Like

The fact that the single player team seems to have been gutted so badly would suggest it wasn’t

Like you said with GP it’s harder to guess these things but I doubt it was bringing that many new players in

That’s what I’m talking about adding in extra narrative. How are we even know the state of a game or service? Assumption can be its greatest enemy, especially when they stick to it. I can forgive if it’s a knee jerk reaction, but first should be upset at the layoff and whatever the product is later. It’s like the recent loss of a wrestler. Don’t think about who’s going to fill in as the other’s partner, the man has lost his life and his kids no longer have a dad. One focus at a time.

1 Like

Yeah Hololens was already on the chopping block when that contract was done. They also had a lot of management issues I think with the department head being a massive fuckhead.

Edit: https://www.geekwire.com/2022/hololens-leader-alex-kipman-to-leave-microsoft-in-reorg-of-mixed-reality-group-after-report-on-toxic-behavior/

Yeah Hololens was definitely ripe for the chopping block.

20 million in 3 weeks. Bigger then Forza which took about 3.5 months. It rates more players then Sea of Thieves.

Its Halo. It isnt going anywhere.

1 Like

Think he’s talking about sales. FH5 sold more and is currently bigger than Infinite.

3 Likes

Microsoft’s handling of the gaming division continues to be a absolute mess.

1 Like

How so?

4 Likes

It’s not just the gaming division, but the entire Microsoft corporation having layoffs.

343 is an isolated incident, not the norm.

2 Likes

Oh boi, it’s about to go nuclear :radioactive:.

2 Likes

Some will certainly go to Bungie

https://twitter.com/NoBettaFeta/status/1615794389825261569?t=6wFPFF-HROiNHKcuwEcr_g&s=19

2 Likes