Larian have made massive strides in optimising the Series S version of BG3

Sven from Larian showed a graph where they have improved the VRAM usage by 34%, and the RAM usage by 10%. He claims that these optimisations can be used on other platforms to help them as well.

No mention of how it was achieved, or if it was Microsofts ATG that helped with it.

https://x.com/LarAtLarian/status/1722138531634577426?s=20

9 Likes

Nice to see the work they’re doing for Series S pushing benefits out to Series X and the PC players too!

9 Likes

Remedy disliked this

4 Likes

So what was the statement they made before about the S? Was it co-op not being feasible? How about now?

It was split-screen coop specifically not being feasible. While this looks like a great optimisation, I would not expect it to change much in that regard, only that the game should run a lot smoother now than on their previous build.

1 Like

I understand that at that time they were focused on delivering the PC and ps5 game and based on looking at the sheet fact of Xbox Series S, they feared they could not make it.

It is also possible they got help from MS, you have to understand that they are a small company and multi-platform is always taxing.

Good they managed to do it in the end. Some twitter posts were - maybe - too much reposted on the internet as console war weapons.

Great. Now give us the game already

1 Like

So relatable. When I’m killing myself working on multiple things at once, the prospect of even looking at another thing I know is going to be difficult is downright appalling. I’m glad that they’re putting in the work now that they have the bandwidth, and it’s a pleasant surprise that it seems like it might benefit beefier hardware, like BRiT said.

I admit that all the praise for BG3 was making me a bit bitter since I couldn’t play it, but I really appreciate how open and positive they’ve been about this entire situation. The occasional updates and tamping down of console war rhetoric have been genuinely nice to see. I’m sure it was extremely vexing to them that a project they’ve been so passionate about had its reach limited this way.

I’m definitely excited to play this, and I wish them all the best.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me if this happens during TGA.

“Thank you for GOTY! I know Xbox fans want to play, so we have an announcement. It’s ready and it’s available now!”

2 Likes

That would be really cool. Maybe it can tide me over during the wait for Dragon Age. :dragon: