JRPGs |OT| The Grind to Level 99 is Paved With Good Intentions

Would love for some more Ys games to make it to Xbox. Such a great series of games. Still haven’t bought Monstrum Nox, but Lacrimosa of Dana was terrific so I have high expectations for it and hope it makes it way to Xbox.

The trails games would be the greatest get though. I would instantly re-purchase every title in the franchise to have them all on one system instead of the current mess across multiple systems.

1 Like

Ys IX is not as good as Ys VIII IMO. The setting is a lot duller and the “open world city” is quite ugly looking, maybe was too ambitious for Falcom. However the gameplay is still on point, the fun of uncovering the map is still there, and the exploration is still fun and rewarding. The superpowers they introduced are cool too, I like them.

As for Trails, to be fair, every entry is available on PC (even Hajimari and Kuro are there now, just not in English), there is no “mess” there. I always thought it would be smart for MS to work with XSeed and NISA to make Xbox the only -console- with every Trails game available. It would also be the first time Trails in the Sky 3rd releases on console in English as it is PC exclusive in the West (with Sky and Sky SC only being on PC and PSP in the West).

The only problem there is a lot of newcomers want to start with Cold Steel instead, because of the aged graphics of everything before it :smiling_face_with_tear:. Maybe that’s why Persona 5 is coming before Persona 3 and 4.

2 Likes

Waffling until the last minute but I think I’m going to hold off on Soul Hackers for now. I just bought Saints Row and I already have a big JRPG backlog going with Tales of Arise, Scarlet Nexus, and Eiyuden Chronicles Rising among others. Maybe I’ll allow myself to buy SH2 when I knock off at least one of those. :slight_smile:

Woah! You can actually drive cars in Kuro no Kiseki 2

Free sticker ! Don’t know if it’s a good incentive, but whatever. :doge:

1 Like

You can play Basketball in Kuro no Kiseki 2 :sob: :joy:!

And fishing will once again return! And since they added a drivable car you can be sure there will be races :laughing:

The Kuro series of Trails games really do feel like Yakuza games :rofl: (And did you know, Kiryu Kazuma’s voice actor, Takaya Kuroda, voices a character in this series?)

3 Likes

I got the CE of akiba strip on switch a month ago and hadnt played it…eh…i love the art style and characters and how goofy it is. But god damn gameplay is horrible.

Trying not to read too much about this series because I don’t have the time to go through them and would rather play them on Xbox (pipe dream) but still hearing all the right things like

On-topic: A thing I like to do in JRPGs is save up all the stat-boosting items (Seeds, incenses, golden apples, etc) until a big plot beat happens near the end. This is nice because by that point I’ve got a good handle on the mechanics/characters I like and wouldn’t feel like I’m allocating them wrong.

Also, there’s probably enough of them to make a noticeable difference, and I like the idea of a character getting stronger because they resolved their personal arc or received a final bit of wisdom or the crew is aligned and clear-eyed in their common goal so they get a boost from it.

I don’t use them at all. :doge: Save them up for a potential upgrade to use the boosting item as an ingredient, but in the end it just rot in the inventory.

1 Like

LMAO, that’s quite the strategy!

For me, with those kinds of items, I often pump the majority of them into the protagonist. They’re highly likely to be the one in the party the most, and well, the protagonist should be the strongest. They’re the leader :smile:!

I was that same way in some of the games too. End up finishing things with so much spare and unused gear.

It’s not quite as bad in other games, where you can at least scrap the items and recover some or all of the material. I’m thinking of the ones with Sockets and Gems mechanics.

1 Like

I think there’s a bit about this in the first season of The Hero Yoshihiko! I like to wait in case the mage character gets a magic burst move or something and could use the extra MP. If the hero is going to be spamming a move that uses Strength, there might not be much point in boosting Intelligence and so on.

Just backed Armed Fantasia/Penny Blood for the digital combo pack.

The campaign is a bit confusing with about a thousand different configurations of pledge options and add-ons. :confounded:

1 Like

The games reached their initial funding goal.

Second, I saw this posted somewhere, and I think PC is gonna be the place to play Penny Blood… Sounds like they want to push some explicit limits. I can see Sony turning down some stuff, maybe Xbox. But they say here that one platform turning down certain content doesn’t mean it’ll be outright removed from the game.

Shadow hearts should have been revived years ago

2 Likes

I only ever played Covenant but I absolutely loved it. Sold the other two still in the shrinkwrap for quite a bit of cash. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Loved SH Covenant! Awesome game and interesting take on RPG combat!

1 Like

unique theme and art style too

Armed Fantasia & Penny Blood Kickstarter campaign got an update on their stretch goals.

5e878a0a7157479f63470b4cc35a63b5_original

Only $50k left so Xbox version is almost confirmed.