JRPGs |OT| The Grind to Level 99 is Paved With Good Intentions

Ys X initial impressions:

I’ve reached chapter 4 out of 9, at about 15 hours played. So this isn’t gonna be a terribly long game. Figured I’d write a little bit about how I’m feeling about it so far.

The gameplay formula has finally been changed up from how it was in the past many Ys games. There are now only 2 playable characters, with a much bigger focus on how they play, rather than large character parties. You also get a “real” jump now, not that “jump dash” thing from the last games, which I think makes for more fun exploration. Other exploration tools such as a grappling hook and a hoverboard become available as you progress too.

The “pacing” of the combat is now quite a bit different. It’s a bit slower, heavier. Still has a fast pace, but you’ll notice a difference from Ys VIII or IX. The systems of getting invincibility for perfect guards and dodges are also gone. Now, enemies can have blue “speed” attacks, that you can evade by dashing and follow up with a counterstrike, or red “power” attacks, that can be perfectly guarded and followed up with either a cinematic attack or with a strike from your “revenge gauge”. A gauge that builds up a damage multiplier for your skills as you block attacks.

An early boss fight there, I was still getting used to how the game played. I’m playing on Nightmare from the get-go, it’s pretty difficult, but I’m managing!

Boss fights with this new system are awesome, maybe some of the best Ys boss fights ever. I’m hearing that they get really incredible in the later half of the game, so I’m looking forward to that.

As you may know, new to this game is ship sailing. The game has still not really let me use this too much though. The ship battling so far is kind of… eh… The only thing that does any real damage is the X button super attack. Just line up with the enemy ship and fire. The ship exploration has also been extremely railroaded so far. Ys has always been a very railroaded experience, but I’m a little surprised that the game hasn’t yet let me see if there’s at least any optional islands or something.

The story is enjoyable so far. I won’t go too into it, but some stuff goes down, Adol is now bound to a new heroine named Karja by a “Mana Cord”, there’s some villains called “Greagers” causing havoc, and all of your allies are scattered around the various islands, waiting for you to get out there and explore to save them. It’s pretty typical Ys, which I like. The “adventurous” feeling is very much there, which was lacking in Ys IX.

The game’s visuals, I’m mixed on. It looks “cheap” in some areas, and I mean cheap for Falcom, when you compare to how Kuro no Kiseki looked (which I’ve heavily praised it’s visuals in this thread before). I guess this was to get it to run as best it can on Switch, which I can say it -mostly- looks and runs very well! It’s mostly locked 30FPS (apparently so on PS4 as well, only PS5 runs it at 60), though the intro section and a small few sections dropped it pretty bad. The visuals -can- look good while exploring a town or in certain dungeons though. A complaint I’ve been seeing is that very much of the game is just grassy hills. That doesn’t bother me too much personally, it’s what comes to mind when I think “Ys adventure”, but I understand the complaint.

So far, the gameplay changes have been very positive. I really look forward to every boss fight. Still need to see the “ship gameplay” open up though. Visuals, I’m a little shaky on. The soundtrack hasn’t been anything that noteworthy so far unfortunately. The great gameplay is making up for other shortcomings however, I am enjoying the game a lot!

2 Likes

Continuing my Ys X playthrough. Falcom has become so good at animation… :face_holding_back_tears:

Anyway, the ship gameplay opened up. Unfortunately it’s not the most exciting thing. Much prefer ground gameplay. When you reach a new open water area, the map already highlights all points of interest, so in a way there isn’t much for exploration on the sea, but that’s fine to me because I wouldn’t want to aimlessly wander around looking for secrets.

There is a degree of nonlinearity with the exploration though, a bunch of smaller islands you can check out as you arrive to a new area before heading to the next main objective. There’s also outposts you can find and liberate which usually have new people in them to save to recruit to your ship and reveal more points of interest on the map.

The chapters are getting longer, but I am checking out all the NPC dialogue and doing all the side quests and stuff.

The graphics are starting to grow on me a little bit. It can look pretty good like in the clip above. It’s not stunning me like Kuro no Kiseki did though.

I’m really accustomed to the gameplay now and it’s definitely one of the best gameplay styles of Ys. More difficult than previous party Ys games and everything feels so satisfying.

Now, I’ll leave you with this animation masterpiece (this was prob on purpose :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

Tales of Arise - Beyond the Dawn DLC will have 11 new achievements.

Still a surprise that 2 years after the release Namco release a story DLC. Maybe the DLC will be the bridge for a sequel.

I still need to play eventually Tales of Arise, which I bought on sale a while back. I know it’s from the same studio as Scarlet Nexus which I REALLY enjoyed.

To any who have played both, how similar is it from a gameplay perspective?

The way you use your party in combat is kinda similar, chosing one and then activating some of their skill. The difference is that we can change to any of then in Tales.

And as far as I can remember, the biggest difference is where the combat happens, since Tales you start a battle and you’ll be transported to an arena while Scarlet Nexus we fight directly on the map we’re in.

1 Like

Finished Ys X!

Full 100% playthrough on Nightmare difficulty, all “trophies” (they built an achievement system into the game, so you can still get “achievements” on Switch lol). Every bit of side content done, and all NPC dialogue exhausted (the Falcom experience! :sweat_smile:)

Right then, let’s get into my thoughts about the game:

The new combat gameplay is a fantastic step forward. I’ve already talked about it in above posts, but the new focus on blocking/parrying and dodging is like playing an ultra-(ULTRA)-lite From or Team Ninja game. Of all the “3D” Ys games, this one by far has the best boss fights too. The final boss fight is one of Falcom’s best ever… Finally, a Ys game where it’s just a showdown, not vs a typical JRPG monstrous being, especially awesome that it’s a 2v2, and Red vs Red and Blue vs Blue :smile:

The same cannot be said about the ship gameplay though. It’s just not good. After upgrading your ship a little bit it quickly becomes smashing all the buttons to fire all your special ammo and just disintegrate everything. The ship is also very slow at the beginning of the game, thankfully all points of interest are marked after completing outposts, so you won’t be aimless. I really doubt ship gameplay returns in the next game, so I’m not gonna worry about how it can be refined.

The story is a usual Falcom fare, trying not to spoil too much, but it was interesting enough to keep me wondering what would happen next, even if I guessed a lot of it like that he Old Man in Adol’s “dreams” was Rolo from the Runestones you find. It’s carried by the characters, which Karja, the only ally alongside Adol this time, is intensely more interesting and developed out compared to any of Adol’s old party members in previous games (besides good ol’ Dogi of course! (who is here but sadly not playable!) :stuck_out_tongue:). That said there’s usual dumb stuff like typical Falcom “forced to fight your allies!” moments and Adol being given a curse that will kill him in 3 months, this really doesn’t even come up much and ends up just being used as a tool to let him know when one of the 3 Generals are nearby, it’s pointless.

There’s several tunes from the soundtrack I really like, I mean it doesn’t live up to the Falcom of old, as usual, but I think this game has a decent soundtrack for new Falcom. Surprisingly it’s mostly the “calm” tunes I liked, like the town of Karnac’s or the sailing tunes. There’s many great field and boss songs though, and this was the first time Falcom’s newest composer, Koguchi, was able to compose the final boss theme… and he hit a home friggin run on it!

As I played on Switch, you can tell this is finally a port done by Falcom and not outsourced like Ys VIII and IX (especially bad). It (mostly) runs very well and the resolution is great. As I’ve been saying in previous posts though, the graphics can feel like some of Falcom’s cheapest yet. I thought it was kind of embarrassing really, that they pointed the camera at this:

But I mean, the character models can look pretty good, and there is some OUTSTANDING animations in some cutscenes and boss fights:

This may have been sacrificial to get the game running as best they could on Switch. Their Kuro no Kiseki games look visually WAY better, though they are now coming to Switch next year, with Kuro 3 looking to be day 1, though there is some hints that Falcom may know something about the Switch 2… So hopefully when they transition to there they don’t need to nerf the graphics as much.

I’m somewhere between an 8.5 and a 9 on what to give this game, maybe I’ll give it the infamous “8.8”! But overall, really fantastic game, great new start to a new type of Ys gameplay style and I can’t wait to see how they take it from here!

(Note: I looked at the clips I posted here, they are MUCH more choppy than how the game actually runs for some reason! I think something might be up with my Switch’s capture feature?)

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/gematsu/status/1724865429120639026?t=FqhrR6dNE2sQowE1FoPesA&s=19

Please Xbox as well. Need this for nostalgia.

Edit: nvm. I thought it’s the HD Collection, but it’s probably the old PS1/2 port.

It’s part of PS Premium.

I know and I already own it on Switch, but I would love playing it on Xbox.

The smoothing on the Switch version looks so bad.

Unfortunately if Xbox got Grandia it’d probably be that version. This PS version looks like the original emulated which is better.

Even that version isn’t great though, with some textures that are way mis-aligned. Sucks that Saturn is still the best version, which is what I played for the first time in 2020.

I did buy the Switch release for Grandia 2 though, I think that’s more or less on par with Dreamcast… Haven’t actually played it yet though lol.

1 Like

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen is on sale on gog for $4.79. I’m tempted, how is the game?

Combat is still amazing. It’s especially fun when playing the Dark Arisen DLC because it’s challenging.

No one plays it for graphics or story, but the story is actually interesting when you learn the plot.

For $4,79 it’s a steal and I would give it a try if you love action RPGs.

2 Likes

Id rather have so2 and valkyrie profile 1. Grandia isnt all that great imo

That’s true, but Grandia was part of my childhood and nostalgia will sometimes win over quality.

Newest acquisitions! I was really, really trying to wait on SO for a little while… But I just had to grab it when getting Mario RPG :sob:! Everyone’s saying this remake is amazing. I haven’t played either of these (besides like an hour of SMRPG in 2010 or so) so I’m looking forward to both. SMRPG first because it is short and sweet.

With that I felt like doing an update to this post… Let’s see how far I’ve come since last year

Decent new chunk of games since! Also the only new digital addition since then was “Labyrinth of Refrain”. I don’t have Ring Fit Adventure anymore, gave it away to my younger brother lol. Also I forgot FE Engage somehow, so here it is just to show it lol:

2 Likes

Just started with Persona 5 Tactica and clearly only Joker and Morgana went to Piccolo’s school for dodging.

Edit: nevermind.

1 Like

After playing and liking the demo, I bought the digital ultimate edition for Tales of Arise: Beyond the Dawn which includes the base game, expansion and a bunch of costumes and bonuses . Not sure when I will start this but im looking forward to it.

I also bought Star Ocean: The Divine Force for $20 from Amazon and received it today. Don’t know when im starting this either. And I just bought Star Ocean: The Second Story Remake from Amazon for PlayStation 5 which I should get on Monday.

Finally, the game that got me to look into these games and JRPG’s in general is the upcoming PC/PS4/PS5 JRPG Granblue Fantasy Relink. Looks awesome, combat looks great and im day one for it and then with FF7 Rebirth as well, I decided to start looking into JRPG’s for this generation. They can be cross-gen but must have real time combat and voice acting for at the very least, the main story because that’s simply what I prefer.

I will be playing Star Ocean: The Second Story Remake first followed by Tales of Arise and the Star Ocean: The Divine Force. Should be starting Second Story next Wednesday.

1 Like

Definitely enjoying Táctica, but man doing a 8 turn for the bonuses mission and doing it in just 3 turns felt very long.

40 minute gameplay video from a recent hands on preview event for Granblue Fantasy Relink. While it’s as of now not coming to Xbox, it does look awesome and combat seems really good as well. 22+ minutes in and thus far, all fully voiced which makes me so happy. Hopefully, damage numbers can be turned off because barring this game being a dud, it’s day one for me on PlayStation 5.

1 Like

Anyone recommend Soul Hackers 2 ? Looking to clear GP games before they leaving.

Going through a Atlus marathon of P4G, P3P and Soul Hackers 2 if it’s worth it.

Have others JRPGs in my backlog like Nier Replicant, Crisis Core, ToA DLC and Star Ocean Divine Force.

1 Like