Jim Ryan Retires, Connie Booth leaving after 34 years, Layoffs at Sony, Multiplayer games Cancelled

If I recall correctly, from the proceedings, it was made apparent by ABK and MS that the share Sony gets from CoD sales is actually about 20% higher than Xbox, so @howlingmosquito is right: when the last contract ends, if you think Sony is getting 90% again, you’re sorely mistaken. And I would bet money that the hundred million or so they spend on advertising CoD is much less than that 20% over the course of every year….

1 Like

I don’t think anyone expects things to change solely from posts here, no. That is not the point however. It’s the way you approach these things in general that matters. Why should anyone accept the media being biased af? I just don’t understand the defeatism.

As for deflection it was about the “play games” comments. It’s a common deflection from whatever issues being discussed, it’s dismissive, irrelevant and most importantly wrong in most cases. It’s a way to steer the conversation away from what is talked about.

3 Likes

:laughing: Well here’s the beautiful part of selling your PS5 and abandoning the PS5, use all that GameStop credit and buy a PC. Play all that stuff on your PC plus now you can have access to all the PC Gamepass stuff too. How’s this for optimism… I’ll play Spider-Man 2 and final fantasy when it comes to pc

4 Likes

From what I recall the standard cut for a platform holder is 30%. Microsoft were squeezed to 20% by ABK due to a lower install base and basically ABK threatening to simply pull the plug on making cod games for the Xbox.

I think it’s pretty inconceivable that Microsoft would have proposed anything other than the standard 30% revenue share deal with Sony for Sony to have signed it, if they had it would have been front and centre of the FTC case and no doubt formed significant theory of harm for the CMA and EU.

So Sony will still get the 30% cut from cod sales they always did. I’d say that’s pretty much nailed on. I don’t see their revenue dropping.

1 Like

I accept the media being biased because I know they are and that they’re not going to change. How many times does IGN need to post that The Elder Scrolls VI isn’t coming to PlayStation or that it’s exclusive to Xbox?

We all know that they’re extremely biased and favored towards Sony and PlayStation and I accept it because I know that they’re not going to change unless Sony has a massive PlayStation 3 level fuck up and even then, I put it at 50/50.

IGN and so many others know where their money comes from and until THAT changes, their bias isn’t going to change.

I also don’t care about gaming media. The sooner it all dies off, the better. I follow the people I like on Twitter and YouTube (which is basically the same list) and stick with them. Sometimes I agree and sometimes I disagree with them but none of them will change if I want to play a game or not.

Redfall was bashed by everyone. I still played and completed it. Granted, for me it’s my worst game of teh generation but at the same time, Starfield is seen by the majority as a great game but not the generation defining game it was meant to be BUT for me personally, it is my game of the year and once I complete it, will most likely be my game of the generation through 2023.

The point is why should I care about gaming media and whatnot when I KNOW how they all are towards Microsoft and Xbox? Am I supposed to cry that they’re mad or upset? LOL. And the more Microsoft acquires and as we all know, there will be more, the worse they will all get which is why I ignore them.

So that’s why I accept it and also why I ignore it all. lol

Hahaha. Nothing wrong with that. If Sony puts their exclusives day one on PC by next gen, I may even go to PC and dump both consoles next generation because there would be no reason to own them if im getting everything on PC.

Yea I have no delusions that my thread here will change these discussions but that is part of the problem I see. People aren’t even talking about this it’s just “Sony can do whatever they want cause the are Sony”.

It’s a strange circular argument that wants to stamp down any discussion on this while other platforms holders are held to the coals for even the slightest thing.

Also it seems selling more hardware means Sony is allowed to fleece it’s customers and act like assholes. Why do gamers care so much about Sales like it’s a damn sport competition?

It will be slow going but these things NEED to be talked about and only then can the narrative begin to move towards a more balanced approach which I think most of us would prefer.

4 Likes

Worse, people here are afraid to talk about it because certain users have a crusade to “prove” that there is no bias and Sony is where they are solely because of their own actions…

8 Likes

Well I’m not going to hide from this stuff, I see these things happen and see brushing under the table, excuses or just plain silence. I’m going to call out this crap when I see it.

I’m glad we have a forum where these things can be brought up.

6 Likes

4 Likes

I have said for a long time that the vast majority of gaming media is 100% biased against Microsoft and Xbox. You can see it as clear as day.

I simply believe that talking about any of this isn’t going to change anything especially when no one is talking to those in gaming media who are biased. People talking here isn’t going to change those who are biased in the gaming media. In fact, gaming media will never see this and even if they did, they would ignore it anyway.

1 Like

So just to add to this 2 more recent Sony studio layoffs I was made aware of

VA Studio

Naughty Dog https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/naughty-dog-is-making-cuts-and-laying-off-qa-contractors/ar-AA1hDmLx

Add everything I’ve mentioned in this thread and really it’s ripe for some major articles asking what is going on with Sony?

7 Likes

The media is biased for PlayStation, there are overwhelming evidence that we can see to support it, but I’ve said my piece many times and I’m just watching from the sideline and be ready to say “I told you so”.

People who haven’t put their head under the sand knows that Sony is not in a great position right now. Despite their touting of console or game sales, their profit margin is not where it needs to be especially when ABK got bought. Making their type of games are getting more expensive and they desperately needed to find other forms of revenue, and that’s the reason why they are pivoting to GAAS, PC, and Mobile. The funny thing is that Microsoft got flack on focusing on these from “hardcore” fans, but now Sony is going to the same path. The problem is that Microsoft, with the ABK merger, got all of these covered and it’s putting Sony in a tough spot.

We have to remember, Sony is not making “bangers” out of the goodness of their heart, same as Microsoft or other companies. They are doing it for profit and if the margins are getting lesser due to rising cost of game development, they either raise the price or pivot to a more profitable segment of gaming at the expense of their hardcore single player fans. Sony answers to their shareholders, not it’s fans.

https://x.com/mediamolecule/status/1716832003713274283?s=46&t=O_AGT9SEnlptKOF_2SxtqQ

2 Likes

Well NOT talking about it certainly isn’t going to help as that is pretty much how it got to this point. Ignoring the problem isn’t going to help and directly contributes to it

The media has decided to ignore everything negative with Sony and focus articles on negativity towards other platforms.

It’s bullshit and needs to stop

6 Likes

To be clear, I didn’t dump Xbox, I have Xbox Series S Series X switch and PC… ps5 is just a downer of a console for me, ps5 cant justify it’s existence after you’ve cleared its initial library… I promise I will buy a third xbox and the new switch before I would even consider buying another ps5. Ps5 collects dust and just brings down your mood everytime you look it just sitting there waiting for a game to come out so it can be useful but the games never come :joy:

2 Likes

I’m of the opposite mind and opinion. I think to stop talking about it would make it better because for the last three years, we’ve talked about gaming media being biased against Xbox and let me ask you, do you think it’s better, worse or the same as three years ago? I believe it’s worse and the more people talk about this shit, the more the gaming media will double down, triple down and continue to do what they’re doing.

I’m pretty certain that IGN’s twitter account got a shit ton of push back for that TES VI tweet being exclusive to Xbox and yet, let’s be honest, would be a shock to anyone if they posted that again this very week or perhaps after the Xbox show tomorrow?

I just don’t believe that talking about it or complaining or whatever is going to change anything in regards to how the gaming media sees, perceives and treats Microsoft and the Xbox brand. That’s all. Nothing more and nothing less. And if anything, like I have said numerous times before, it’s going to get worse as the generation progresses.

I didn’t think you got rid of your Xbox or anything. I was just saying that I may just go full PC next gen depending on if Sony puts their exclusives on PC day one.

You seem to get more down with PlayStation 5 and having to wait to play a game but be honest, if you subtract the multi-platform games, how often would you be playing new Xbox games?

If PlayStation 5 was my primary gaming console, it would be played all the time but it’s not because Xbox Series X is my primary gaming console so this gets almost all of my play time.

When I started playing Spider Man 2, I got excited because first and foremost, I know im getting a great game to play and second, im happy because I got what I want which is to have at least two console exclusives a year for PlayStation 5. I get that and im happy.

If PS5 was my main console I’d go broke from a lack of Gamepass.

Sure in theory you could buy all your games on ps5 and only subscribe to Gamepass on your xbox. But would that even make ps5 your primary console?

This depends on the individual. I love day one games on Game Pass or a game like Ishin that I was going to buy during Black Weekend but now, don’t have to but in general, I don’t stay subscribed to Game Pass. So for me, if PlayStation 5 was my primary, I would still use Game Pass on Xbox in the same way that I currently do.

So definitely depends on each individual and how they play games. Unless it’s day one on Game Pass or day one on Ubisoft+, chances are im buying the game if I really want to play it.

Well Xbox owns Activision now so most casuals would (in my hypothetical scenario of buy all games on Ps5 but also subscribe to Gamepass on Xbox ) probably have a difficult time defining which platform is their primary platform.

2 Likes

Something someone here said caught my eye.

Microsoft is a far larger company than Sony. This is absolutely 100% true, and by a large margin.

But we shouldn’t take that to mean that Sony is in any regards a small company. They’re in or near the top 100 largest companies in the world. As of 2021, they were 96th largest and Microsoft was third largest. While Microsoft absolutely deserves scrutiny for its actions, to suggest that just because Sony is only in the 2 digit billions (instead of 4 digit billions / single trillions like Microsoft) they don’t deserve the same level of scrutiny in their actions is pretty silly. They get a free pass for a lot of reasons, all of which can be argued, but it’s not like they’re tiny.

5 Likes