Jeff Grubb hints at Forza Horizon 5 coming in 2021 in the PSVG podcast

forza horizon next in 2021 makes a lot of sense to me especially if motorsport ends up 2022 , it would really bolster the line up for 2021 too and it would be weird if horizon ended up having to wait until 2023 to release considering i really do not think they would release two forza in the same year and motorsport didn’t look like it was releasing soon.

I also like the graphical improvements from installment to installment. You can see it really well how they have evolved with every game. Playground Games is super effective in producing these awesome racing games. I wouldn’t mind if they start with a crossgen FH

2 Likes

Watch the jump from FH1 to FH2 and then to FH3 I expect similar development this time again :slight_smile:

FH3 really made me drop my jaw. I was blown by the demo back then. Eventually Forza Horizon 2 remained my favourite.

I would personally love some kind of “Forza Horizon World”. Something like the Master Chief Collection where you select which festival do you want to play in: United States, Italy, Australia or UK, with the first three maps being completely revamped to run in parity with Horizon 4.

6 Likes

Playground are going to be so fun to watch on this new hardware. FH3 still looks amazing, even FH2 still looks great.

I hope they go for somewhere unexpected.

2 Likes

When it comes to ForzaTech, I’ve imagined it to deal with things like physics more so than visuals. I say this because the games have diverged visually and from a graphic engine perspective.

The needs for both games are quite different. With one having a day night cycle and an open world, it needs to do a lot of things that the Forza Motorsport games don’t need to do. Whereas the Motorsport games have to deal with advanced physics and AI at 60fps, it accomplishes things that the Horizon games don’t even need to deal with.

The other thing is I’d argue that the Horizon games look better from a technical and artistic standpoint. Their understanding of lighting and materials seems to be better. They were the ones that innovated with an HDR skybox. I don’t mean to discount the artistic talent at T10, they still make some of the best looking games out there. But I think most of us can agree that Gran Turismo, Drive Club, and Forza Horizon really nailed down lighting, colours, exposures, and materials better. My point here is to simply state that Playground Games doesn’t need to wait for Forza Tech (assuming it also dealt with visuals) to make their own necessary changes to make this game look truly next gen, leveraging things like mesh shaders, sampler feedback (for efficient memory usage), and RT (personally I think ray tracing is more impactful in AO and GI rather than reflections in racing games, but that’s another essay).

I’m okay with FH5 using physics from last gen but applying new modern graphics tech to the game.

The new Forza Motorsport is something that I imagine will fully flex the CPU of the Series consoles for some of the most advanced physics and AI we’ve ever seen. And if FH5 is destined for next year, It will likely be FH6 before that’s implemented into the Horizon series.

But being a sim-arcade game, the current physics are perfectly fine in my opinion.

I don’t know what to make of this rumour, as I have no idea if Playground went on a super hiring spree to make another team to deal with Fable. I assumed that they didn’t and that the main team was working on Fable.

The Initial D fanboy in me wants a Japan-based FH5 to premiere with a trailer with “Don’t stop the music” playing, but I’ll admit that would be one of the most cheesiest things ever.

4 Likes

They did, 2 full-blown AAA teams, in 2 locations. The RPG team hired a ton of super experienced and talented people. Probably over 100 people now and still hiring. You can see it now in the Career section of their website (it used to say “RPG Team”).

Some more detail here : Analysis: Who’s working on Fable 4? | VGC

2 Likes

i have over 200 hours in FH4 so a new one next year would be a nice suprise and very welcome. Hopefully it is in an interesting location like Japan.

If this happens next year then its cross gen on existing ForzaTech. Would be ok for me.

All of this. :ok_hand:

I think it will be a MCC style compilation. I’ve had a theory for a while that Halo/Gears/Forza/Horizon have all been given a 5 year break. Halo of course has been given even more

Hope it will be full next gen in a more exotic location.

He is just guessing here.

FH5 coming after Motorsport makes more sense.

The Forza Tech engine will be fully upgraded and ready to be used for FH5.

Upgraded rendering pipeline and car simulation will reach first in Motorsport then to FH5.

Ofcourse, this is my guess.

2 Likes

Forza Horizon 2/3/4 all saw huge success and critical acclaim, yet they still came out on a console that had a negative perception. I think MS want fo get these games out on a new console, which is respected. It’s literally a licence to print money. So I’m going with a Forza Horizon collection coming next year

Beaten to it lol

Agree with implementation of RT for AO and GI. Or maybe for shadows perhaps.

Reflections doesn’t mean much when they are being done at sub optimal resolution.

2 Likes

Asking for this since ages. Lol

1 Like

I wonder if this will be cross gen? While I must admit my initial reaction was to kinda wish we’d get the next Horizon with all the bells and whistles from the next gen engine improvements Turn 10 will be/have been working on, the downside to that would probably mean waiting another 2 or 3 years for Horizon 5!

That said, you would imagine Playground/Turn 10 will maybe have made some adjustments to the Forzatech version they’re currently using to suit their needs for FH5.

With Horizon being one of the top critical series for Xbox it’s good they’ve been given an extra bit of time to work on Horizon 5. As a brit I’m probably biased :rofl:but I loved the setting (and seasons) of FH4. If there’s one criticism I have of it, I’d like to see them alter the progression a little sometimes it felt like it almost didn’t “matter” where you finished in races.

FH2 is a crossgen game and massively improved over FH.

1 Like

I think turn 10 is gunning for the most impressive looking racer this gen. If the teaser is anything to go by it looks mighty.

It will also be the only Forza motorsport game this entire gen.

I love the idea of it being the only game for this gen.

It goes well with Gamepass plan.