Jason Schreier: more game delays

I don’t think there’s a chance that COD will miss fall since they get bulk of their sales during the holiday. However I could see Battlefield being delayed

Lol man you never know.

Back in 2018 or so I was convinced it would release early 2020(also expected series x for that time). We had already seen the engine trailer. That would have been 4 1/2 years of dev time. Which is much longer than any halo game has had and 343 was big.

Then I was convinced it would be out in November. 343 said no delay in July.

Then I was convinced it would be out early to mid 2021 because the game was content complete in summer/fall 2020 and they where just working to polish the graphics.

Point is a game can always be delayed right up until it releases.

-edit. If I had to guess I would say horizon 2, and god of war 2. I’m hoping battlefield mostly though.

So you doubt halo will release?

Halo Infinite ain’t getting delayed.

No I don’t doubt it, in fact I think it one of the most secure games of 2021. But I would have said the same thing a year ago about it releasing in 2020.

The big difference is it seems like Halo was only delayed for graphics, most games that get delayed are usually behind on all aspects or more than just the graphics. The reason for the 12 months is because why not give them time and then more so, no one can really buy a Series X|S right now they are all sold out. This gives them a chance to do the graphic touch up without the massive stress of it releasing soon and maybe put things back in off the cut room floor. Maybe MS knew that this year would be tough for all their other games so they wanted to slot this in for a backup title.

This just goes to show that the COVID effect is real and is slowing down dev’s progress, people can’t say it has no effect on all these teams or that they’re just using it as an excuse (which I always found dumb).

3 Likes

Well, look at that, another delay:

Yep more are coming

Riders Republic was all but delayed in confirmation. 0 news regarding the game since announcement and I was supposed to believe it was dropping next month?

I think so

Think it was originally 25th of Feb 2021

So that’s every 2021 ubisoft game delayed then. At this point it’s probably safe to add six months to any previously announced release date. It’s probably the reason we haven’t seen any release windows for Xbox games. You can’t delay something if you don’t announce the date. I don’t really expect to see any Microsoft exclusives except the medium in q1. Nintendo have decided to shorten the window between announcements and release dates which is sensible in the current climate.

For Sony it looks like returnal will be the only q1 game with everything else slipping by a few months.

Ironically I think Halo is probably has one of the safest release dates. By delaying for a full year they probably gave them more time than they actually need. The next ten months will be nothing but polish.

I would not be surprised if both horison forbidden west and gow Ragnarok dont make 2021.

2 Likes

God of War is far more likely to not make 2021 than Horizon purely based on the fact it has only been 3 years since the last God of War while it has been 4 years for Horizon.