Is there a reasonable explanation about those XSS 'bottleneck' critics from devs?

Or Sony introducing a ‘4K’ console and only adding 512MB of RAM for the increased frame buffer.

2 Likes

There are going to be a lot of “dynamic” 4K games on the PS5.

1 Like

All these fake concerned journalist just have an agenda against xbox. I get more unbiased stuff from actual xbox centric gamers than this bloomberg dude:

It was all a fanboy agenda as this further tweet clearly shows:

1 Like

I don’t have problem with dynamic 4K, I would much rather a frame was rendered a little lower resolution to ensure we hit solid 60fps (although the later is going to improve with VRR support). But I am fairly confident in saying that when PS5 GPU runs close to 2.1GHz, its CPU will not be running at 3.5GHz. Will a $299 XSS have better CPU perf and more stable frame rate!

I actually think both consoles will be dynamic 4K to be honest. 4K is a high bar at the end of the day and dynamic resolution would allow the consoles flexibility when scenes are demanding.

Sounds about right

2 Likes

MS is simply shifting away from selling a console using AAA games and WOW factor to being more games focused. Next they are simply providing consoles and services for people to access those games. If you listen to Phil, you’ll notice he says nice things about Nintendo and for good reason. Nintendo is able to remove themselves from they typical console measuring contests and just put out a product that plays fun games. They are the leader and not Sony though you’d never know it from the gaming sites on the internet.

The Series S is Microsoft’s “Nintendo” console.

3 Likes

The concerns are legit! But those are concerns only. Concerned devs haven’t even developed games for the console yet.

The situation is similar to how people doubts variable frequency on PS5 and XVA on xsx. Devs are even concerned for RAM on pro hardwares as well. Infact the creators of console knows that too, that’s why they have invested in i/o streaming first hand.

VRAM bandwidth is never enough. Optimization needs to be done on every step. And it also takes time.

@sierra-117 I recommend you change that thread title if you could. We do not want to show any aggression, what-so-ever to those in the industry. Just because you don’t agree with their opinions and concerns, that doesn’t make them frauds. Joke or not, please change it.

4 Likes

Hey just got time to get back on site, sorry for miswording. I was thinking of FUD, which is not aiming at anyone neither an attack, but English is not my native language. Initially I even thought it was spelled as FRUD. Got fraud as a suggestion from google :frowning: Now I changed it to “critics”, less emotional :wink:

1 Like

As someone who works in technology (not game development) I very much understand the concern from devs. In technology, you spend a good amount of your careers trying to overcome and work around some executive person’s bright idea who forgot to consult the people who actually build and manage “the thing” before green-lighting said project and handing you a mess.

What these devs are doing is what my team and many other in tech do when someone presents the next great idea that they weren’t consulted on. Most people in the industry are skeptical of things that are done for profitability purposes when they’re not brought in the loop while decisions are being made. This isn’t a anti-Xbox thing. New paradigms will be met by skepticism. PS3 Cell was met with backlash as was the Xbox One RAM setup and devs were right both those time. Devs believe they know more than the business people because usually they do when it comes to specifics of game development. What Microsoft needs to do is communicate to 3rd party devs that developers were a big part of the process otherwise they won’t get buy-in…period. I’ll let Microsoft handle that.

I need to also emphasize that devs, like people in any industry, are different and will have different reactions. They aren’t like the Flood being controlled by Gravemind. Not all of them are negative. Just those that are most concerned will be loudest.

My personal feeling talking to a dev who makes game assets, this won’t impact game development much in the big picture. There are always potential outliers. Also game development is already hard without new variables so there’s legit backlash to needing to do more work. The entire industry has continued to work towards processes and tools to make assets scale. AAA devs are already building games with 8K assets. Series S guarantees there will be lower quality assets relative to lower resolution which will require less memory and take less of a footprint to store. Most devs were expecting to make lower quality assets for PC anyways. This just ensures they aren’t going to stop anytime this gen.

In conclusion, I believe the concern is real but the actual real world impact for innovation is a net gain due to the existence of Series S. Hastening the adoption of a baseline tech that includes exponentially faster I/O, ML capabilities and modern CPUs will speed up innovation due to allowing more investment towards those things.

Most importantly: End results for gamers won’t be any different anyhow. Devs will put in the work. If games struggle here and there, who cares? The audience playing them on a 1080p TV aren’t gonna notice or care anyhow.

1 Like

Yep end of the day, they may grumble while doing it but they’ll do it. Also optimization and compensating for multiple targets gets easier with time.

1 Like

It is false concern. Both from ignorant who haven’t the dev kits or fanboys throwing fuel and other who don’t know yet all the full features of the consoles not yet warmed to the console.

It is the same system architecture as XSX it has Sampler Feedback Streaming and Virtual Ram,Xbox Velocity Arch and other feats. It just renders at 1440p and up to 120fps that’s all. So they have to scale the components equally to reach this target. It is way better than X1X just itbdoesn’t render at 4k except 4k upscaling.

Where are all these saying 4k ks a waste and wanted 1440p and better fps now they complain?

What do you prefer a pc that renders a game in 4k but medium and 30fps or one which renders at 1440p high ultra at up to 120fps…? Ms offers choices, options and people complain and tryung to find drawbacks.

Do you really think they build the console with a short sighted view without thinking how tech will evolve in the future and call it a day

For the discussion with series s, i would guess with 15 studios having early access to the hardware they should know what they did there in terms of future proof. As multiple times being metioned, lower ram can be a pain for devs but it’s not as vital to your game features as a lame a** cpu. And to me it seems xbox align more and more to pc development with direct x12 ultimate and the next gen consoles. With modern tools and engine, scaling becomes more and more easy and we see machine learning, automatic testing will further improve these workflows.

i remember at a lan a ram module died and i had to play with 4gb of ram and was pretty shocked how low of an impact it had on fps. sure big area loads let the game freeze at times, but it was still running pretty well.

i’am still really intrested to see upscaling capabilitys, the whole set of Velocity Architecture run on a real world game or atleast tech demos. we just saw the improvements that comes from the better hardware alone or isolated examples of features. maybe they have some tech demos ready before launch, because i bet sony will fire out of every gun they have next week.

I believe the XSX dash is 4K, but maybe it’s simply a shared assumption that I’ve bought into.

Yes this is my hope as well and why I strongly suspect the XSS OS will be a bit more lightweight. 8GB of usable RAM is definitely an upgrade over the 4.5-5 GB used on the PS4 and X1.

1 Like

No worries and thank you. We just want this place to be welcoming to everyone, even devs who may not be happy with the Series S.

I might be in the minority but I’d be happy to give the devs an extra GB on the XSX and just have a 1080p dashboard again. They can use nearest neighbor scaling and while it may seem a bit jaggy, it would still look sharp. They could give owners an option for a more traditional scaling option too.

The only thing we can do is ignore it, or destroy the ones who speak these mistruths. I think ignoring them is the better idea, dont give them a voice, dont let them effect you negetively.

Lol sometimes I have a power fantasy that if I was in charge of marketing for a console I would recruit armies of people to swamp anyone who smears my platform, smear the other platform, say good things about my platform. Its amazing that the fans do this already, but I also wonder how is it so organized and focused, its not like companies have never engaged in this behaviour before, I suppose if it ever got out it would majorly backfire though. I guess companies can do it without asking journos , by getting fancy hotels, Michelin starred meals, free consoles etc

I don’t think XSX needs that. The XVA lets it leverage WAY more RAM than is physically present as is. For XSS that might be nice to help devs have less work to do though.

Devs could always use more resources. Plus it would help if it’s true that the PS5 OS footprint is smaller.

As for the XSS, I believe the dashboard is already 1080p on it. No reason to make it 4K.

1 Like