Is Microsoft (Xbox) done with acquisitions for 2020?

Doesn’t mean they can’t be acquired, obsidian were developing outer worlds and did

1 Like

Is Mistwalker (Sakaguchi) or Valhalla Studio (Itagaki) possible? If so, they could really fit in as the First Party Japanese studios getting big budgets to bring back Lost Odyssey and Ninja Gaiden.

3 Likes

IIRC, they were on the tail-end of development of The Outer Worlds when Microsoft acquired them. This studio is just starting the development process. Still, you are right. They can still be purchased by Microsoft.

But then again, if they were I think they wouldn’t be making this announcement until Microsoft announced the acquisition, I think.

Asobo makes a lot of sense. For one, they are radically reinvigorating interest in Flight Sim due to how they’ve implemented really incredible tech in the game. Beyond that though, their experience with so much machine learning tech could really pay dividends for XGS tech sharing initiatives. Also, their work on single player third person story-driven games could be really welcomed by XGS to compete with Sony’s first party offerings in mindshare.

The other major candidates I can see are Bloober Team and Remedy. Remedy is in the thick of multiplatform stuff now so they aren’t likely, but both teams could be ideal for offering episodic themed content for Game Pass, which is story driven and again third person cinematic aesthetic. If I were Phil, I’d fork over tons of cash for Remedy and put em to work on Alan Wake 2 (and an Alan Wake remaster in AW 2’s game engine).

I could see Supermassive Games fitting in nicely too. Their smaller horror anthology stuff is solid and with more funding could be really great and fit in nicely with XGS and Game Pass too. At some point though, I suppose too many thriller/horror styled games might become an issue. Or maybe not.

Forget Bungie…I wanna see Marty come back to score Halo and other XGS games. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi folks! First Post here in the safe space.

I’ve long hoped for Asobo. Up there with Ninja Theory in terms of making the most of a production budget. Good opportunity for growth as well.

I thought MS would be on a spree but over the summer I’ve changed my mind. I can’t see more than 1 addition before the launch of next gen.

They still need another one or two AAA developers. Not just teams delivering smaller experiences.

2 Likes

MS want to support FS 2020 for 10 years. So they better do something with Asobo and other partners for this project.

I would also like if MS expanded more in Eastern Europe. There are a lot of inexpensive opportunities there.

2 Likes

Asobo makes a lot of sense.

More interesting are the comments from Phil Spencer about the interest of an asian-based studio. I honestly hope it would be NIS. Why ?

1. They have a lot of games which can boost Gamepass.
  2. Publishing arm in japan.
  3. If I’m not mistaken they have financial problems

I would love 4A Games (Metro series) and GSC Game World (STALKER 2). Both are Ukrainian developpers.

Metro and STALKER 2 games are on the Gamepass and fit quite well the Xbox / PC audience. Metro 2033 was a Xbox console exclusive and STALKER 2 is a Xbox console timed-exclusive.

Playtonic also said they "would love to work with the bear and bird again" but I feel they would need to sell on Switch too to be a viable acquisition. A Banjo-Kazooie deal would probably be better than an acquisition.

MS definitely needs more studios. Support studios also. I don’t know if it makes sense to buy support studios however (maybe parternships are fine regarding support studios) but 4J Studios would be a good fit.

But at the end, it depends if studios prefer to stay independent or not, and we don’t know that.

1 Like

NIS would be great.

My dream acquisition from japan would be NIS and/or Nihon Falcom. So many good IPs.

I think they are not done. With services like gamepass, unique content is king. And 3rd parties might make there own sub service one day.

I am not expecting any more acquisitions announcements for the rest of the year, and honestly next year as well. I think resources and the focused energy of the Xbox team is being poured into supporting the studios they now have.

I think the existing list is impressive, and I am excited to see what they all start to produce as we start to step into the next generation.

If Game Pass is the future, then they certainly need to add more studios\development teams. If the start of this Gen has shown anything (if rumors are to be believed) it is that trying to rely on 3P developers to fill out your content offering is a tenuous strategy at best

IMO to keep game pass flowing\interest I think a strategy of 1st party AAA content being released every other month is an obtainable goal, but to do that they need 25 to 30 AAA development teams. 4yr development cycle, with some room for games that need more time.

24 teams in a 4yr development cycle, plus 2-5 others developing content in case more time is needed\avoid crunch.

How many do they have now?

Rare, Obsidian, Playground have two AAA teams

Coalition, Double Fine, Ninja Theory & InXile could have 2 teams

343i, Compulsion, Undead Labs, Initiative, Turn 10, Mojang, Wold’s Edge seem to be focused on one AAA game at a time

How many is that? 17-21 max, they certainly need more

I agree with the sentiment here: Asobo, Bloober, People Can Fly & Remedy would make the most sense

People Can Fly & Remedy are a little more intriguing b/c of the IP that would come with them

I would like to see what Asobo could do on a AAA budget

A few others I haven’t seemed mentioned: Farm 51 - been rumored Relic Games

Also, wasn’t there some rumors about Xbox starting a Japanese studio from the ground up, like the initiative?

One reason WB games would be intriguing, is for the studios that would come along with it. Well run studios, with established teams & some IP ( Mortal Combat, Fear, Asherons Call, Midway IP) that would probably come along with it.

At minimum you would be getting six AAA studios, to add into your ecosystem. Even if the New Batman, suicide squad, Lego Skywalker & HP Games are multi platform, The fact that they would go into Game Pass on day one release could be of immense value to Xbox and blunt all the timed exclusive talk by Sony.

Also Monolith is supposedly working on some new IP, utilizing their nemesis system

If WB really is not selling, wouldn’t it be an interesting turn of events if that rumoured big publisher deal for Game Pass was with Warner Bros? :thinking:

Hmm I mean Arkham games been on gamepass for a while

I would love to see Asobo, Remedy and Bloober Team.

3 Likes

Asobo will not joining the XGS, they’re already working for Focus Home Interactive on The Plague Tale’s sequel (2022).

I think something is going on with ms and bungie @Jez was hinting something about it a while back. Just not sure if its acquisition or just global publishing.

I think if Bloober team were to happen we would know about it since they are publicly traded company.

Asobo is a must at this point. Dont even understand why this hasn’t happened

Think Dontnod is a great fit for Microsoft and game pass but they are also a public company.

Remedy is not happening unless they get burned on multiplatform publishers like how bungie learned the hard way with Activision

Iron galaxy I could see so they can work on KI and what ever else they want to work on

4A games would be huge locking in the metro franchise as well

1 Like

You mean Destiny 3? If so, what’s the point of the acquisition?

Yes

#15by2020