Interview: XSX/XSS Enhancements for Fortnite

" Q: What excites you most about developing and bringing Fortnite to life on next-generation hardware?

A: The new generation of hardware brings huge improvements in CPU, GPU and I/O performance."

" Q: Which enhancement were you most excited about to explore leveraging for Fortnite on Xbox Series X?

A: We were particularly excited about the Velocity Architecture and making the most of the additional I/O bandwidth on Xbox Series X and S to reduce loading times and improve level streaming performance."

3 Likes

I don’t play the game…but after reading the full article, that looks like one heck of an upgrade! They didn’t just increase the resolution and call it a day.

1 Like

Is this out now? I noticed fortnite did not have the optimized for S/X badge yesterday when i installed it.

Mine does

Yeah i just checked and in “my games” the x/s badge is showing, maybe it was just the store icon?

1 Like

I hadn’t played in awhile but I played a few matches today on my X and I was impressed by how good it looked and played.

Played the new update on XSX and it looks really good! The fps is smooooth and looks 4k all the time. LOD and effects are greatly better than the 1X and love the new smoke and fire effects. Next year when they go to UE5 they’re adding more graphical upgrades hopefully RT

1 Like

From the article:

We’re also using GPU compute power to simulate physics fields. This allows us to generate shockwaves from grenade and rocket explosions, adding realistic motion to nearby grass and foliage and enhancing the gameplay.

This is the sort of stuff I’m hoping to see consistently in the next generation and it’s great to see it implemented on a title at launch.

1 Like