I'm New, and Old. I Need Gaming Friends

I’d be interested in that, but I’m guessing you’re in the US somewhere. I’m in Australia, so the time zones would probably screw me over. I’m in my mid 50s but still game most nights. I’ve wanted to try sea of thieves, but it looks a bit tricky to play solo.

1 Like

I’m in Western Canada, MST. When I was brainstorming this I was thinking that it would be fairly open-ended so people on the west coast of North America would jump on as people on the east coast would be jumping off.

The I suppose the weekend would be better for including people in Europe as well as Australia. I imagine it’s easier to coordinate between Australia and the West Coast than with Europe.

1 Like

I’d be down for this. I wouldn’t want to limit it to ONLY game pass titles though. I get that it would be accessible to everyone, but there are some great games out there that aren’t in the service, unfortunately.

2 Likes

I certainly don’t feel like i’m in my 40’s. Which is why it’s such a shock to the system when I’m around kids and they’re talking and I’m thinking “I don’t understand a single word they’re saying.” :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I wish someone would tell my body. I turned 40 in April. I put together a trampoline for my boys over the weekend and every part of me aches.

I’d be interested in a game night(s). I’m in Atlantic Canada though, so it doesn’t help the TZ issue (ADT).

1 Like

I’d like to join in. I think we just set a time and folks can drop in and out.

I’m trying to think of an easy way to organize something, and the only thing I can think of is by utilizing the Clubs feature in the Xbox dashboard.

Do they even really do clubs anymore? I used to play around with them for a while, but nobody ever really seemed to give a shit about them. It was just one of those things that Xbox never really did anything with after they implemented them. I don’t think they’ve evolved or had any new features added since.

I can take a look when I get home from work today and see about setting one up. It won’t do much good for games outside of Xbox, but at least we could put notices up there.

1 Like

Agreed. I just turned 56 last week. Old is a state of mind. :smile:

3 Likes

I did a little poking around on my laptop and it looks as if Microsoft is silently sweeping Clubs under the rug and pretending like it never existed. Not sure if it’s the way to go.

Are any of y’all on the Xboxera discord? Maybe we could coordinate through there?

I was hoping to not have to bring yet another app/service into the fold… but it does kinda seem like Xbox is slowly moving toward Discord anyway…

I created a Discord server called XBRA Game Night and will see about getting it set up properly.

For the record, I have no ****ing clue what I’m doing.

2 Likes

No need to create your own when the public Xbox Era Discord exists at the following location:

Initial announcement thread @ The Xbox Era Community Discord Server is live

1 Like

We’ll just do that then.

2 Likes

Hello fellow Western Canada MST friend.

1 Like

Are there any bots on the server that might help facilitate scheduling the events?

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I’m also a member of the `Club of 40’s and also looking for friends to play with. The good thing being at this age (or above) is that we’ve seen the evolution of games. This makes us exceptional in my opinion.

2 Likes

Yep, my first game console was an odyssey pong console in 1977 my mom got me to keep me occupied. Been a gamer even since and have seen everything in the Games industry, I lived through the 83 game crash and was a very active gamers when it happened

2 Likes

I was just checking the discord and I didn’t find the group that was mentioned. Were people using the looking for group portion?

I was thinking of something like a “community play day” like say that Tuesday of every week where people could jump on together and try various game pass titles that work well in online multiplayer.

And if it’s popular enough it can grow to multiple play days for different games.

I’m not much of a discord guy because I’m trying to cut down the various social media networks I’m in to help me focus but for this I’ll definitely make an effort to check it more often.

2 Likes

So on the discord I created a poll asking which days were best (multiple answers allowed) So feel free to answer if you haven’t already:

It looks like Thursday and Saturday were the clear winners so we can even try something tonight (I apologize for the short notice, that’s on me).

With time zones being the other major consideration I put up a poll just now. From there we can also discuss games to play but I think we start with games that are pretty much on installed on most of our Xboxes that would be good start and then we can decide on particular Game Pass games that may require an installation prior to the session.

Here is the poll for time zones:

I’m trying to make myself available for 8:00 p.m. MST tonight and I can start a party. Add me “nrXic” if you’re interested for tonight but hopefully going forward we can rely on the Xbox Era club.

It looks like the official Xbox Era club on the Xbox is “TheXboxEra” so search for that and send a request. Might be a few days before the request is answered because I didn’t give the powers that be a heads up.

Again, tonight is such short notice that nothing may happen but going forward I think we can get something regular on Thursdays.

3 Likes

I’ve done a couple polls in the Discord and I figure I should do them here as well. If you have already voted in the discord then don’t vote here. I also realize that I won’t get a lot of responses for this but I thought I’d give it a shot anyways.

What is your preferred day to play? (Can vote more than once)

• Sunday
  • Monday
  • Tuesday
  • Wednesday
  • Thursday
  • Friday
  • Saturday
0 voters

And what is your time zone?

• -10/-9
  • -8/-7
  • -6/-5
  • -4/-3
  • 0/+1
  • +2/+3
  • +4/+5
  • +6/+7
  • +8/+9
  • +10/+11
  • +12
  • Other
0 voters

I’ll tally the results with the Discord one.

As it stands Thursday is the leading result and the time zone is pretty much split between Eastern North America and Western Europe. So it may have to be a rolling entry and exit for most players starting in the UK and then ending up on the west coast of North America.

So the tentative plan is to have people join “TheXboxEra” Xbox club on the Xbox. Request a join if you haven’t already. From there anyone can start a Club Party Chat. And from there anyone can join the Club Party Chat. So someone in the UK could start and have others join and as a night progresses people from North America will start joining. And some of the earlier players could drop out.

This is all very tentative and I figure we’ll have everything ironed out in a month or so but I figure giving this a shot and seeing how it goes and adapting to learn to mistakes and failures every week.

Initially we’ll start with games that most people have installed. Later on we can explore more gamepass titles and lesser played titles.

1 Like