[IGN Japan] Kamiya would like a second chance at Scalebound

I’m not sure if Microsoft would double down on a failed project, but it sounds like Kamiya is super passionate about it. I’d be happy to see them give it another shot based on that maybe with some more realistic goals (aka: can the co-op). IF it were to happen it might be wise to just not announce shit till it’s damn near finished though, it’s never gonna look good to announce and cancel it TWICE.

How about this…

Instead of Scalebound…

Phantom Dust

AAA GaaS Card-Game Action RPG?

Eh? Eh?

I’ll be honest, I think Platinum could be a great addition. Like others have said, their problems seem to stem from taking on too much at a time. I would love to see what they could do with all of their focus on one title.

7 Likes

I kind of have high-hopes for Bayo 3 just because it’s been in the oven so long and it seemed to have been their main focus.

I mean they make great games. So I disagree. But things have to be different.

The game would have to go through a lot of changes. Depending on where the project was they’d have to work out how to make a finished product.

MS don’t lose anything throwing some extra cash now to get this game done purely because the Story and revival of Scalebound would be a great story by itself. You wouldn’t need huge marketing for this game if it came out because so many people would know about it already and would want to check it out. And if it comes out and ends up being really good MS win at the end of the day.

Platinum Games are one of the most talented devs, but they’re stuck making low budget Switch games because they don’t have the funding for bigger games.

MS last gen clearly didn’t think this game was worth it. With them needing better JPN support and the game probably still there in pieces…MS might consider it.

Personally I would rather MS try and get Bayonetta off Nintendo exclusivity and put them on Gamepass.

I had High hopes until I saw it. Theres only so much you can do with the Switch hardware. I’ll still get it. Bayo 2 is a masterpiece. But something feels off about this game

And with the next gen hardware. We saw glimpses with Nier. Phenomenal game.

MS should buy them give them a big budget maybe another studio and tell them to make amazing action games. Because they do.

1 Like

More insights

2 Likes

kamiya has wanted to make this game since 2006. its his magnum opus, its the one that keeps him up at night. thats why he took big ms money and then kept feature creeping

post monster hunter world i say go for it. make sure theres new game + opr other features so co op players can continue to play as a light service game

Apparantly Scalebound is something of a dream game for Kamiya, something he’s wanted to make for a very long time, I hope he does get to make it, he’s a legend in the industry

1 Like

Just buy Platinum Games Phil and get Scalebound done. Its unfinished business.

Looking over Platinum Games, out of 14 main games ending with Astral Chain, they have 7 games 80+ and 7 games at 79 or lower. It depends on which Platinum Games Microsoft would be getting. For me personally, I would prefer to see Microsoft stay away.

If anything, Nintendo should acquire Platinum Games since they seem to work with them the most and if not them, Square Enix. Besides, I don’t think Microsoft would acquire them anyway. I think Platinum Games is probably for another payday they can take advantage of and I do believe that there’s more to why Microsoft/Spencer cancelled Scalebound and if I was them, I would simply stay far far away.

But to each their own. I just see Platinum Games as either overrated or very hit or miss.

I hope Phil and the team at least have a talk with Platinum games about bringing it back

Nintendo acquiring anyone would be terrible. Unless its mobile devs.

Also your logic doesn’t make sense. Some of those 80+ games are absolutely terrific. And on restricted hardware nonetheless. You will lose an argument if you’re trying say PG aren’t that good. Theyre a top tier dev team. Just look at the 360 era.

You’re making too many assumptions about PG and the Scalebound deal. It was probably too ambitious and MS didn’t have the budget for it. If Scalebound had come out it would have been the biggest game PG game have ever made.

Also its been 5 years. Thats a long time in gaming circles. Better tech now and tools.

2 Likes

Platinum has always been hit or miss, but when they hit, they hit right on the money. For many people, Nier Automata was a GOTG type affair. 2017 was a while ago now, but Astral Chain got very good reviews and is well liked (2019). I’m pretty confident Bayo 3 will be well received when it comes out, too.

Xbox can certainly afford to take a risk on a project like this - although I’m not personally invested in whether Scalebound lives or dies. And if they start funding it tomorrow, it’ll be 4-6 years before it comes out, because none of the teams are currently free and games take 5ever to make these days due to a variety of factors. Really hard to care about 2027 games at this point.

If Spencer was feeling hungry for studios in Japan, may I recommend Platinum games as a pairing with Square Enix.

Your pairing point is interesting - because they’d actually go well alongside multiple publishers if Microsoft went in that direction in the future. Square Enix (who they’ve worked with on multiple projects including Nier Automata and now Babylon’s Fall), Sega (who holds multiple of their original IP’s including Bayonetta and Vanquish) AND Capcom (who holds their pre-Platinum IP’s). If Microsoft had any ambition to own any of these publishers they might gain additional benefit with Platinum under their wing.

Ive expressed my distaste for platinum (Aside from Nier Automata) a few times in the past but thinking about it, honestly i wouldnt mind them getting a second chance. With more support and oversight and proper resources that probably werent available during the games development the first time, i could see it going much better. They are a talented studio, just they are bad with project management if left to their own devices for too long. Wouldnt balk at a potential acquisition of them either, however unlikely that is, because it would afford them even more resources to do what they do best, withiout having to worry about funding again.

1 Like

I think PG was great up until 2014 with Bayonetta 2. Since then, they’re 50/50 at best. Nier Automata was great, Astral Chain I personally don’t think was that great and wasted $60 on it. Few other games have been meh. Babylon’s Fall will have great combat but that’s it. I see the game being in the high 60’s/low 70’s. I simply think PG’s time has passed.

If the primary motivation is to own the entire history of Shinji Mikami, then you grab Capcom (where he started work), Platinum (which he co-founded), Bethesda (arleady got em! his current workplace) and M-Two (a studio named as such because Minami expected Mikami to join him there in the future to work on RE4 Remake together, before those plans changed. M-Two = Minami + Mikami).

1 Like

Maybe this is how they plan their acquisitions - they just arrange big combos of studio ownership. I mean look at Fallout between Bethesda, Obsidian and inXile they basically have the whole set.

1 Like

Best case scenario for me would be to have Kamiya and Mikami under one roof. Hell if Hideaki Itsuno ever decides to leave Capcom snap him up too!