If Xbox Series S is successful, why would developers bother with Xbox Series X?

Devs build their games with the highest quality assets and then downscale them to lesser hardware if need be. XSS and XSX share the same architecture and everything, the S just has specs that cater to 1440p60.

There’s always going to be a market for high end consoles and PC’s.

1 Like

One thing is for sure man, MS really made a well thought out decision here and I definitely can see XSS becoming a big success.

1 Like

I was considering going PC so having something like this in the living room for more social stuff would be nice. Would also be a good secondary console for people who want to play some xbox games but primary console is Switch or PS.

ooh how did you make your comment green?

I am a moderator. I have privileges.

1 Like

you mean the S just has specs that cater to 1440p120 :stuck_out_tongue:

damnit. should’ve known. never liked colors anyway

jelly. :doge:

They will bother with it because they are developing games for the PS5 too. Plus developers always want to put out a great product visually, and there is not better place to achieve that on console than the Series X.

Seems like a very reductionist point you are making as it sounds like you want top end performance for low end price so it won’t offer any value to you.

So clearly the XSS isn’t aimed at your demographic (want a top end xbox but don’t value it enough to pay the asking price) it’s aimed at the countless people who want an entry point to next gen but can’t afford to be in at the top end and no this isn’t people being cheap it’s kids, low income families, people with other commitments etc.

I’d value them having an in far above some nebulous concern that XSS will limit the potential of XSX.

Jason Ronald just confirmed that the Series S also has hardware accelerated ray tracing. Thats cool, isn’t it?

1 Like

This is now confirmed false. SS has the same rt cores as SX. The difference will likely be just on the target RT resolution too (which is decoupled from the game output resolution)

3 Likes

Sounds like MS knew what they were doing and making sure porting games over should be smooth sailing. Should mean that us XSX buyers won’t have anything to be concerned about, which makes me very happy.

1 Like

Yeah they designed the consoles together so the resolution is the only thing that needs to be scaled.

This is different than Xbone to X where Xbone was underpowered for the performance target and they had to give a huge boost (almost 5x the tflops for a 4x resolution increase). They are at 3x less flops target resolutions from 2.25-4 times lower.

2 Likes

Welp, here you go, confirmed hardware accelerated DirectX Ray Tracing:

Not sure why people would have told you different.

For the same reason they bothered with PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.