If Xbox Series S is successful, why would developers bother with Xbox Series X?

I’m not sure your premise is valid. If anything it was xbone that started to suffer with X by having significant framerate issues.

X pretty much across the board offers a huge resolution boost, with higher settings and better framerate.

The difference is that Series S won’t be as weak compared to SX as xbone was to X so we will hopefully see similar settings and framerate with the differences being only in resolution.

From everything that’s been leaked so far, it’s the same machine, essentially. One renders in 1080p and the other in 4K.

No game is downgraded or upgraded for either machine EXCEPT in resolution.

And that’s why you want 2 machines. Some won’t upgrade their TVs soon and will be fine with next gen features (SSD, ray tracing, 120fps etc…all at 1080p.)

2 Likes

Don’t the series s and x Dev tools sort of make this sort of a baseless concern?

I don’t think that will happen honestly, considering PC and PS5 are also part of the equation. Stuff will be made for the high end and scaled down for Series S. I could see some indie games though looking very similar on both but running at super high frame rates on Series X, but big 3rd party devs will first focus on Series X for sure (or PC) and then scale the resolution/ textures/raytracing down to the 4Tflops Series S runs at.

The better the Series S does, the better chance you’ll get more Series X games, not less. Series S will be running Series X games. Just at a lower res with lower quality lighting.

3 Likes

Because if Microsoft has done their job right, it should be trivial to develop for both of them.

1 Like

But that’s it? Shouldn’t it be a given that XSX will provide a much bigger difference than just that? XSX is higher resolution, better quality lighting, much better framerate but in terms of visual fidelity i shouldn’t expect signicant differences?

@Stathis

Trying to answer the OP question as short as possible:

Devs want present the game in the best settings and visual state as they can. You saw the effect with the One X. Game presentations shifted from the former most powerful console (the PS4) to the Xbox One X for that very reason.

Devs actually derive some pride from this.

1 Like

I think that’s correct. The premise of OP’s question borders on the trite “lazy developers” rhetoric.

1 Like

This isn’t going to be a problem.

For one reason, the S appears to have no hardware ray tracing capability. It says “Direct X ray tracing”. It’s a severely castrated Xbox from a performance perspective. IE it is for the cheap gaming crowd.

Not true in the slightest way!

They say the same for the Series X. It is hw-accelerated Raytracing. Look at the Hotchips presentation. Exact same wording for Series X.

3 Likes

Have you really looked at the cost? If you add an extra drive to it, and you will have to with a 512 drive, it will cost the same as the Series X. I’m excited the X is going to be at $500, and hope that the S doesn’t severely castrate development for it

For the same reason why devs add features to graphics cards that less than 10% of all Steam players have, to make their games look and run as best as possible to show them off.

1 Like

The cost reduction in total is due to a much smaller chip, reduced cooling requirements because the GPU also clocks lower, half the flash memory and 60% less main memory. An extra effect will also be better yields due to the smaller chips and the lower clocks.

That said, actually I was responding to your ray tracing claim, which I think is not correct.

If the Nvidia 3070 is successful, what does that say of the 3090?

Point is this argument holds no water.

DXR is hardware accelerated there guy, no idea where you heard differently.

We will see. Not what I am hearing. It doesn’t matter, because it is the baseline for development going forward. I personally am interested to see what people think at the end of the generation in a few years. May look great now, but long term? Especially if there is a mid-generation refresh with a 20TB option.

Lot’s of questions, and nothing is certain. MS is certainly going after the cheap crowd, and it could be a decent option as a secondary console for PS5 players without a PC. The lack of a drive means that it won’t even play blu ray movies …

This is where your point completely falls apart. Outside of some random low budget titles with limited resources, just about every game has a X1X enhancement. The current gen dev kits has different profile modes for one s and one x models. Next gen dev kits are exactly the same.

Developers prefer fast tools that allow quick iterative time so they can get prototypes and earlier builds up faster. Scale down resolution, effects, textures, and you have the Series S version.

2 Likes

I am not sure if people like to be called “the cheap crowd”. Or do you talk about casual gamers?