IF PS5 prices are 399 and 499 as rumoured - what should or can Xbox do?

What should Xbox do if Playstation gets to $399 and $499?

Hopefully they carry on the path they are currently on: cheapest next gen console, most powerful next gen console, incredible subscription service in Game Pass, multiple new studios added to the roster, and All Access to make it as simple as possible for more people to jump in.

Seems like a good path to be on to me.

I don’t think it can be denied that if Sony decides to go very close with their PS5 DE to XSX that it’s not exactly good news for MS. The XSS was clearly priced that way to appeal to people that either don’t want/can’t spend high amounts of money and still get a damn good next gen system. But among these people are also those that see Sony’s console at (for example) 100 bucks more, that care about it being more powerful, I think they’ll opt for that.

Oh the other hand, Xbox does have game pass with EA Play. So it’s still goddamned good value. Whereas with PS5 you HAVE to at least buy a game.

I was just now talking about this with my brother and he can absolutely see Sony going with 449 for PS5 and 399 for DE. Just so that they can kind of “one up” MS after all and be the “hero” again like back in 2013. I don’t know, I have no idea if Sony can afford to do this, this time around.

1 Like

The 449 rumours are out in force - probably wishful thinking. But I will say there are a number of people who say Sony are being particularly aggressive with content/timed exclusivity deals etc this time round, so why not price? I think their argument is they want 90% of the market as increasingly moving forward it will be hard to switch ecosystems due to digital buy in, BC etc so Sony are making a play to capture the market now.

Whether internally such a business model is accepted or even viable nobody knows. But their intent is clear and I’m not sure I agree with people who say Xbox will sell much better than last gen. I think they’re in danger of being under their Xbox One numbers even with the S being cheap. The launch is miles better, but I think the Xbox brand - is weaker than it was in 2013. That’s a personal view but I can’t shake that is where we’re at. And Xbox are getting a lot right but their marketing and brand positioning I still don’t think cuts through to the mainstream in the way many on here think it does. We’ll see.

I’am really looking forward to the sony event because i still don’t know what their goal is with marketing. To me as a customer they present themself as a premium brand with PS5 marketing, the design, no compromise in the discless version, titles only moving forward and exclusive deals/content for big titles keep being their thing.

So for me there are two ways, premium brand = premium price. They have proven this gen with their quality in games, so there is a lot of market trust for things will stay that way moving forward and they will possibly underline this tomorrow. So they can ask for that price and with the sales figures for their games i think they have a large enough base that possibly will pay that on the start of the gen. On the other hand, they only moving forward to next gen with their titles. So they must sale consoles in order to sale titles. And from that perspective i can see them wanting to push as many units as possible early on, so take a price hit.

But regardless of what sony does with their price xbox still should come up with things to shine light back to them, leading to launch. Have one more big Game coming to Gamepass in November. And even it is good thing that they have so many genre’s in their portfolio, they should make a statement for AAA internal studio output that is to come, not in a niche genre, no render trailer. Gameplay, something like Helblade 2 and cancel the narrative of series s holding back with it. Bonus would be to give a glimpse of confident that halo will be all right with a beta announcement.

1 Like

I don’t understand where the $399 price comes from. Sony is the brand leader why would they in their right mind take a huge loss when a ps5de at $499 would still outsell xbox regardless of a $299 series S. I mean $399 is better for us consumers i just cant see a company taking a loss when they don’t need to. You don’t see Apple undercutting anyone with MacBook or iPhone because they don’t have to. People know what they are getting from Apple and the same applies to playstation.

Also if it is that low xbox just need to offer a series X all digital edition which really shouldn’t take long to do

They seemingly feel that engagement is their goal this gen. They are being very aggressive. I think Sony believe this is the last gen where there is something to play for hardware wise. And that after it people will be locked into ecosystems like with phones etc…not saying they are right but that’s the vibe I get.

This is what worries me the most because I don’t trust sony with backwards compatibility. So I don’t really want to buy third party games in their ecosystem.

The rumor was €399 and €499, that’s $475 and $593

In video game world dollar and euros usually translate equivalently don’t they?

I will be surprised if it isn’t $399 and $499. I could even see $449 at the top end, because nobody seems to really have the pricing down on any of this. Just one more day, and we should know.

If they really want to stick to Playstation they should offer a 6 month Game Pass subscription with the S.

I think All Access is the way to go if you want that, at least from Xbox’s perspective. They want you in on them subscriptions. If you directly buy an S, and still want 6 months of game pass that’s literally 90 dollars more, now imagine 5 million buy the S, that’s almost half a billion dollars. They ain’t doing that.

I saw on the XSX page it’s written “Estimated Retail Price” I think it gives them a way of manoeuvering if needed. Remember they said theyre agile on the price.

I think they will be fine with the Xbox Series S. They have the most powerful console at the same price and the cheapest next gen system.

PS5 Kinda have to be cheaper, it’s a less powerful system. Overdesigned SSD aside. I expect it to be $399/449, anything above that is not worth it.

You don’t buy a Skoda at a BMW price.

1 Like

Yep. “Estimated Retail Price” is vastly different from “Suggested Retail Price” or MSRP - “Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price”.

I think they their wording gives them the wiggle room for a counter maneuver or at the very least gives them the flexibility to offer a Black Friday deal this holiday.

1 Like

So a $399/$499 might actually be happening if that French retailer leak is to be believed. I honestly think that MSFT should drop prices to counter, which I hope is why they used the ERP language instead of MSRP. Not sure if they need to come off $499 for the Series X, but only $100 difference between the PS5 DE and the Series S will be a value proposition problem. If Sony is willing to take that much of a loss on the DE at $399, then MSFT needs to do the same and get Series S to $249.

1 Like

I think it will be interesting. I’m not interested by the PS5 for now, but if it’s true, the PS5 DE would be really attractive at that price. Xbox Series S could still have the edge as people still play on 1080p screens, but we’ll see.

MS probably could not do much more. They are already pushing hard with S and X.

Console warriors pushing for a $249 next gen console lol.

I would of liked an discless XSX at 399 if the PS5DE is the same, but for the casual consumers the XSS is still a very tempting product regardless.

1 Like