How Would You Rate the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase 2022?

Oh my god. Didn’t realise Hogwarts Legacy was coming to Xbox!!! I thought it was PS exclusive! Phew just sold my PS5 lol

1 Like

7/10 for me.

1 Like

C

Redfall looked genuinely bad both visually and in terms of gameplay for my tastes. Had low expectations around it but still disappointed. Starfield looked slightly rough around a few edges but blew my mind in others. Glad Kojima finally got to announce his project. FM and FH5’s DLC both looked amazing. A few really neat looking small games shown. The Japanese gaming segment was short but really strong I think.

It’s disappointing they didn’t adjust our expectations with a tweet in the days or weeks beforehand. Waiting until the show is literally underway to adjust them on the fly as Sarah did with her segment was just way too late. We should have seen more next gen looking 1P titles and they hamstrung themselves there by restricting things to just the next fiscal year. Tons of things that I would have expected to see at the Tuesday event were filler in the main event. Tons of things nearly everyone expected to see (Contraband, Avowed, Compulsion’s game, maybe inXile’s game) were entirely absent. And I understand why given how they chose to hamstring their own show timeline-wise, but they really should have telegraphed that well beforehand.

4 Likes

Ya if we knew it was just the next 12 months before the show my expectations would of been in check I thought forsure Contraband and Avowed was a lock for this show

2 Likes

As I said on our co-stream, I gave it a B+. Had I been notified of the 12 month focus I’d easily move into A territory (which is entirely on me); there was a lot to love for a lot of different types of Xbox fans at the showcase. Forza, Diablo 4, and Starfield stole my heart :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sums it all up rather nicely.

For me it would be Plagues Take, Forza Horizon DLC, As Dusk Falls, Somerville, Warhammer, Grounded, High One life, Atomic Heart, Scorn, Pentiment & that’s all before the end of 2022.

I get all that for £60 (6 months GP) or over £300 without GP.

2 Likes

Gave it a solid A, personally. (or 8/10).

Really enjoyed the show. I think out of everything shown, I’m not interested in playing 2-3 things (Ark, High on Life, and one or two others).

While I was a little taken aback at no Avowed, the ‘12 months’ aspect makes it pretty obvious that it wouldn’t be there. I do agree that they could have announced that earlier, but I don’t think this show was “bad” enough that it needed that kind of damage control. The games and announcements spoke for themselves, and by the end of it I wasn’t going “oh man, it’s only 12 months?”

I was going “Wow. I’m going to be able to play all of these games within the next year?”

5 Likes

C grade. 6.0/10.

Excluding A Plague Tale Requiem, Diablo IV, Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn and Redfall, the other 26 games shown simply aren’t for me and because of that, I was mostly bored when watching the showcase. Just didn’t do it for me. But it’s all good.

2 Likes

A grade easily. Simple start, set expectations with the 12 months ahead then just showed games.

1 Like

But that’s selling the value. I’m talking about that game that would grab the casual and say this is coming.

I was referring to the part of your comment that said you “don’t think it was a showcase in which you’d go to other casual gamers “you should look into getting an Xbox as well.””.

To me, if anything is going to convince a casual gamer to join the Xbox ecosystem it’s a $300 Series S and a subscription to Game Pass. It’s in insane value for casual gamers (and everyone else, but you get the point).

Im in the C camp too.

Starfield, A Plague Tale: Requiem and the FH5 expansion are the only things I’m seriously interested in. All was known except the setting of the FH5 expansion, so the show had nothing that made me go ooooh. I was bored at times tbh, but that is entirely subjective and so is my grade.

They should have communicated beforehand that it was a 12 month Game Pass thing and expectations could have been adjusted accordingly for me.

Awesome: Starfield.

Great: A Plague Tale: Requiem. FH5 Expansion.

Interesting: As Dusk Falls. Pentiment. Grounded.

2 Likes

My rating is a C+ (so I rounded my vote up to B in the poll). The rating would have been higher if Redfall, Starfield and Forza were 2022. The three biggest first-party games of the show were not given dates, and the second half of 2022 is not very impressive.

I do not personally rate the Kojima or Persona announcements very highly despite their importance to the Xbox and Japanese-games fanbases. I don’t care for an announcement that some creator is working on an exclusive game. People complain all of the time about CGI and no-gameplay, but having a talking head is way worse than that (imo). We didn’t even get a title or a genre for the game. I get that there is a rabid fandom for Persona, but ultimately that was just an announcement about porting a handful of old games.

With all of that negative stuff out of the way, I thought the pacing was excellent and most of the games showed very well. Both Redfall and Starfield looked fun. The indies in particular were all mostly interesting (ereban shaow legacy was my favorite). I also love that Xbox decided to keep the show to games in the next 12 months because Xbox needs to start keeping stuff in their back pocket. It was a “okay to good” show that really just meets my minimum expectations for an Xbox showcase. All future showcases should either be just as good as this one (so on a bad year) or much better (so most years).

Its a A for me. Still wish they would have told everyone that the showcase would only show games coming out in the next 12 months so people wouldn’t be expecting avowed or fable and etc… still the show was awesome and really alleviated any doubts i had about what i will be playing this year and next year. Although its a bummer no first party AAA game this year we still have alot of great games to play this year and the first half of next year will finally be full of games.

1 Like

After re-watching Starfield, it’s mostly still not for me but I have added it back to my list and will give it a chance when it releases because I have wanted a Star Citizen sci-fi type game and Starfield is the closest that im probably going to get.

Requiem looks awesome. Next Thursday is the Focus Entertainment showcase and they said the release date will finally be announced. Hoping for mid-August.

Yeah, Microsoft should have said that the showcase was focusing on games that were scheduled to release in the next 12 months and that it was mostly an Indie showcase. These two things would have made me adjust my expectations accordingly.

1 Like

I had to give it a C, I was expecting more and I think a lot of it has to deal with how there was reports about Wolfenstein, Banjo Kazooie and Quake making an appearance.

Starfield looks good, I do have a nitpick with showing the xp, but I’ll get use to it.

Redfall looks better than the hero shooter vibes I got from the CGI trailer l got before, but it still isn’t a game I want to play.

Forza HotWheels looks neat and with MS soon owning Activision Blizzard they should revive Bizarre Creations, make a game like Blur and something like HotWheels, but with Xbox characters like Master Chief or Banjo Kazooie.

High on Life looks like it will be a fun game, so that is great.

I feel horrible for giving it a C rating, but most of the games just don’t get me excited.

I’ll add this I was expecting Avowed and now I wonder if it won’t be a 2023 game.

4 Likes

I was a bit disappointed and would have to give it a C. I realise this may be a me problem but there were too many GAAS or multiplayer games. Things like OW2 (free to play…yack), Sea of Thieves, Ark 2, Elder Scrolls online, fallout 76, Redfall all left me cold.

I was hoping for one big single player game. Well I guess that was Starfield and that did look great… but what I really wanted to see was Avowed!

Some things did look great…Diablo 4 (if they keep the microtransactions and bullshit to a minimum), High on Life, Plague Tale, Pentiment, Starfield. Thinking about it I’ve probably been too harsh, if these all come out within 12 months that is pretty good.

2 Likes

The past few years I watched the Xbox showcase multiple times cause I enjoyed it, this one I haven’t and I probably won’t I was just disappointed I gave it a C .

I’m giving it a B, I think had Persona just dropped outta nowhere it would have been very big, but Persona being rumored for a long time now hurt some of that WOW factor. There was no PS or Nintendo is doomed moment, so I know some are disappointed, but I’m okay with it.

I think I liked all of the games shown. I don’t think there was anything shown where I said “nope never playing that” or “that looks terrible, boring, bad, etc…” even if I know plenty of them won’t get enough priority to crack my playlist. I think they hit the target of “something here for everyone” and I gotta assume that was part of their plan.

1 Like

C

Very disappointed in XGS presentation.