How does Xbox shutdown the Call of Duty factory?

I have long thought the approach they should take to COD ever since 2010 should be as follows:

• Replace the Campaign with Special Ops scenarios
  • Continue with the MP aspects

This allows for the more interesting aspects of single or coop player gaming without the time-sinks of creating a huge campaign storyline.

I think there are developers that can make a Call of Duty campaign starting today and releasing holiday 2024. We all assume that’s what Remedy did with the Crossfire X campaign. Does anyone here think Remedy has been laboring on that game for longer than 2-3 years? It can be done. Just get a company like Remedy to make something like that and brand it call of duty firestorm or some crap. One thing I wouldn’t do is ever stop the CoD yearly releases, that’s madness. It doesn’t need to be brilliant it just needs to have the Call of Duty name attached to it.

There is no “COD killer” within less than 5 years at minimum (and even after that, lol, I remember the countless “Halo killers”), being it a new IP or a revival, even if COD takes so much flak from hardcores, its production values are top of the line AAA, you need a 1st in class fps team to at least be credible and Sony does not have one since PS3 days.

1 Like

hahahahahahahahaha

i’m in tears

1 Like

The way I would handle it is 4 or 5 studios on call off duty. The main 3 working in the main line games releasing every 2 years giving them 6 years between games. A 4th studio in charge of warzone. I don’t know if they have a studio that is purely support if they are and can’t make games leave them as a support studio and let them bounce around between the studios.

I would also try to grow those studios to be multiple teams so if they want to work in something else they have that outlet. Even if it is something like support for another studio making a different game. Like the dev that wanted to make a map for doom. Things like that.

Would also have The studios support their game longer releasing maps and modes longer even pushing a year to offset the off year. Giving the games longer life.

You don’t stop the machine like that you try to clean it up and hopefully smooth the rough edges.

1. Asking the studios about the games the teams want to make
  2. Keep at minimum 2 teams on CoD. One for Warzone. One or more for CoD mainline games.
  3. Give the remaining CoD teams more time to compensate for the lessened manpower.
  4. Hire, hire and hire for all teams.

They don’t. They move the support studios onto their own projects, and let the main studios have the time they need to finish their own games.

The current setup existed because ABK was forcing each COD dev to put out a game every 3 years in a time when games of that size take 4-5 years or more.

1 Like

If I was them I would move teams off to do other things. Those that decide to work on COD will make games in the call of duty universe and make them exclusive.

Example: a call of duty zombies game, zombie warfare. Maybe zombie Hitler/nazis trying to take over the world. Another COD game fighting invading aliens. Do spin off series like that and throw in the traditions COD every 3 years or so

MS: Buys Activision

Xbox Era: let’s plan to shutdown COD

The existence of this thread is hilarious

2 Likes

Nah fr

“Yo xbox owns the biggest casual IP in gaming what do we do with”

“Yo shut that shit down and downsize to 1 dev”

This thread is more about shutting down the CoD factory which consumes all of Activisions studios. And thats not an easy task, you have to make new CoD games, support Warzone and support your new CoD games with content. Even with CoD only releasing every two years this will be involving 3 or 4 studios because these games are so big in content and user base.

1 Like

It’s a poor choice of phrasing to say “shutdown the COD factory”, more like Xbox is gonna streamline the development cycle to be less insane and strenuous than what Activision is currently doing since COD was the lifeblood of the publisher. Developing these games annually on top of Warzone was already getting unsustainable and Phil Spencer has said in interviews the Xbox team is gonna talk to Activision’s developers about making other games from the huge vault of IPs Microsoft is going to inherit.

My prediction is we’ll see the series take it’s first year off in 2024 after the Sony contract is completed to come back stronger in 2025, Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer and Treyarch will remain the main developers and the series will switch to a biennial release cycle. Developers like Beenox, Toys for Bob, High Moon Studios and potentially Raven Software could go work on their own projects to diversify Activision’s output. Any year where there’s no new COD would allow Microsoft to shine the spotlight on another shooter releasing that season like Gears or Quake. There’s also the potential for one of the main three COD studios to develop their own games in the future like Respawn Entertainment.