Highlights from the Dropped Frames Phil Spencer Interview

It almost sounded as if someone closed a door

@Judge One small item that could be included in the summary:

The 1P studios are always judged to a higher standard by the general audience. The enforcement of quality and adoption of the state of the art is almost organic. All the studios get to see each others work, and understand where they need to be, and how there would always be some other 1P studios who might be raising the bar. The other studios adapt and try and meet or cross the high bar. He mentions - for example, how Playground, Coalition and NInja Theory can see each others work and improve upon where they need to be.

1 Like

Thank you very much @Judge for the link and summary. Saved me scrubbing twitch to find it. My bleary-eyed aussie ass thanks you greatly.

Awesome!

Great summary, thanks!

Phil must be very happy now, this is his version of Xbox after all.

3 Likes

My only fear with Xbox right now is after Phil retires who’ll take his place?

This may take a while to happen, but still, I hope that someone just as passionate succeeds him.

Maybe Sarah Bond?

1 Like

Fantastic summary, thanks!

This part…

• Happy with the reception of Redfall. It’s a game Arkane isn’t particularly known for in the past, but they are passionate about it and want to build that type of game.

We had read it was a immersive aim after all, really has what we know and love about their games. The big difference here being you can play in co-op now. But I don’t know, this sounds quite different.

1 Like

I thought I was reading into things! This was my take too.

Yep it feels like Phil might be lining her up for the job which would be fantastic, she is amazing.

1 Like

She would fit just right indeed, let’s hope for it.

1 Like

She’s great!

1 Like

I don’t think Phil is going anywhere anytime soon, but Matt Booty is likely next in line. Having hands-on experience as a developer and running the studio side of the organization is a must in my opinion.

2 Likes

I’m not too worried. He is right in saying it’s a game they are not known for. They are not known for making 4 player co-op games. They are known for making single player ones. It is somewhat of a departure for them.

Not quite a departure as big as, say, Bleeding Edge, Minecraft Dungeons or even Grounded which shares a ton of Obsidian’s DNA, but probably something like TLOU for Naughty Dog or AC Syndicate for Ubisoft.

2 Likes

Depending on how long Phil stays, I’m wondering of someone from the Bethesda side may be next in line?

2 Likes

thanks @judge for the great summary!