High on Life: 25 Minutes of Gameplay | gamescom 2022

Get a look at 25 minutes of murderous goo, sad aliens, and a lot of filthy language, as we dive into one of High on Life’s early missions.

6 Likes

Looking forward to this a lot. Jez mentioned lots of humor, which is to be expected but also Bulletstorm, and that’s really cool to hear. I have only watched very brief parts of footage of this game because I rather just go in fresh, same as with Plague Tale Requiem.

Does this look like it has an overworld structure to anyone else?

Holy shit, the language in this game!!! Looks like a blast to play!!

1 Like

This looked great! The comedy style really works for me. Visual style seems really great too.

4 Likes

So I originally asked this but now it turns out not only does it have an overworld structure, it’s a straight up metroidvania! From an interview with Justin Roiland:

Although I’m still “meh” about the brand of humor, I’ll always give any 3D metroidvania a shot. So, NICE!

2 Likes

The game looks to be 10-12 hours in length.

“Obviously, it depends on how much of a completionist you are as a player, but our average for just the ‘main story’ of the game is between 10-12 hours of gameplay. But with all the collectibles and side content you can easily spend between 20-25 hours playing.”

5 Likes

Sounds perfect to me, I get the feeling this will be worth playing far more for the writing than the gameplay - it’s probably better suited to a shorter experience.

2 Likes

Very excited for that game and I’m staying away from any new footage. 10-12 hours sounds great!

2 Likes

Below is the full interview. It’s well worth a read for anyone looking forward to this game. The “warp-base” feature intrigues me.

(On a separate note, I find it odd and unnecessary that we can’t have more than two consecutive replies. I tried to post the above in the other thread and it wouldn’t let me.)

1 Like

@Predrag

2 Likes

@Astrakan

OK, five is enough? Members can always edit their previous posts and add content, which will bump topics on the home page. We increased the number of consecutive replies to five, but if we notice abuse of the feature, we will revert it :judge: .

2 Likes

True Achievements have an interview up with Squanch:

A couple of things I like the sound of:

It sounds as though High On Life is happy for us to take matters into our own hands when it comes to gameplay. “High On Life also gives licence to the player to decide much of their own path,” Halpern explains. “As the silent protagonist, you’ll play as an intergalactic bounty hunter navigating the galaxy hunting various alien enemies. Depending on which bounties you choose to hunt in which order, you’ll unlock different technology to use throughout the game. Not only that, if you revisit each world after earning new weapons and skills, you’ll be able to unlock additional content.”

“While there are definitely the standard, expected achievements that will guide players through major in-game accomplishments, we’re Squanch Games, so of course you can expect a ton of bizarre and humour-driven achievements to pop up on the roster,” Halpern says.

1 Like

Not only that, if you revisit each world after earning new weapons and skills, you’ll be able to unlock additional content.”

Yep, my metroidvania sense are tingling :eyes:

1 Like

Sounds really cool! I can’t wait to play this game.

There was a tweet last week that said the game has a ton of content.

I really want to play this.

https://screenrant.com/high-on-life-hands-on-game-preview/?utm_content=buffera58f6&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=SR-TW&utm_campaign=SR-TW

“Metroid Prime is the overall theme we were going for,” Spano tells Digital Trends. “We had the limitation of a smaller team, so we thought we couldn’t do this huge interconnected world. So we kind of fell into doing more of a structure like Metroid Prime 2: Echoes where you have a hub — which in that one is your ship and in our game is the house. So from there, you can go to different planets that are all connected through the house, but they’re not connected to each other.”

While the humor seems like it’ll be a polarizing point for players, what Squanch is doing with its core gameplay philosophy should be a bit more universally appealing. The slice I played showed off a well-built first-person adventure game with strong gunplay that can go as deep or casual as you want. Its Metroid Prime, Doom Eternal, and Sunset Overdrive (two key team members worked on the latter) influences all mesh together in ways that might surprise the skeptics.

5 Likes

That sounds great. I have a feeling this one is going to be a big pleasant surprise.

What an amazing combination of games!

2 Likes