Head of Product Marketing for Xbox; @martyhess If you think announcing a next-gen console in the middle of the night due to leaks is wild, just imagine what else we have cooking… 😉

IMO it’ll depend on, if they are really so bold as to get rid of Gold.

If so, this thing is going to do bonkers with the casual crowd.

I’m trying not to read too much into what he said, but… damn I can’t help it. :smile:

3 Likes

They’re giving every Xbox user with 100k Gamer Score a free Xbox Series X /s

2 Likes

While I appreciate him teasing, I really wish they would show more and speak less. What’s exciting to them could be rather middling, like their July showcase.

5 Likes

You are 100% right but at the moment everyone are so hype it’s infectious. Getting teased by something like this will raise the hype level even more. Let’s just ride with it and getting disappointed when we expected it the most … at the next Xbox event :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Nah. The problem is people take innocuous or standard marketing tweets and build them into some massive news…it’s just the head of Product Marketing - probably just talking about their hardware reveal event. But it gets built up so people expect megatons because of a winking smilie,

2 Likes

Why shoot all your bullets when you’ve already got people hyped, they will wait till it dies down again then show what they have.

I’d imagine they’ll have a thing or two gamewise plus the gamepass, xcloud stuff and lockhart demonstrations for the event/video whatever next week.

1 Like

Was middle of the night for the ppl who leaked it and the team @ Xbox who had to react to the leaks.

1 Like

No it doesn’t simply because it is available for preorder now - at a crappy price. A lot of gamers would be pissed if they preordered, and then it shows on GP day one. Same goes for CP

:risi:

If I’m at 300k does that mean I get three of them!? :grin:

2 Likes

Game Pass Ultimate members get access to Phil Spencer’s OnlyFans.

5 Likes

While this tweet is innocent enough, their marketing department has had a history of tweets this year building up to things that ultimately disappointed. So while I appreciate his enthusiasm, it would have been better to just let the current excitement ride until they have something else to show or announce.

They don’t really have the luxury of time to wait and that’s part of the problem. They will probably open up pre-orders in the next couple weeks but have shown people very little of their launch lineup or plans.

I reckon Brad Sam’s is off Marty’s Christmas card list this year

I hear you, but again a marketing department will talk up an event - whether you find that event personally exciting or not their job is to make it sound exciting. To be honest I sometimes think Xbox marketing are blamed for stuff that isn’t really their issue. Like the May event - they did, via Greenburg try to set expectations. But the event being just ok - was more down the content within it - and the marketing team didn’t decide that. It isn’t their fault Halo Infinite had such a mixed reaction and was then delayed. It isn’t their fault that Xbox hasn’t bought some exclusivity on major titles. They have to work with what they’ve got and promote it. I’ve worked with a lot of marketing and PR people and ultimately no matter how much they personally might think something isn’t great their whole job is to create a buzz around it. They gotta work with what they’ve got.

Secondly, I do think a lot of the hoopla isn’t really Xbox marketing problem. It is that people build up slight things into massive threads and then insiders chip in, raising expectations. I’m pretty sure some of this is deliberate to make whatever Xbox has seem less than the hype…I just see a few twitter accounts that do this, they build up the event with loads of ‘wow Xbox has megaton after megaton’ then after the event tell everyone it was what was expected…then that translates into forums…

Short of the Xbox marketing saying ‘hey guys we’ve got an event tomorrow, its going to reveal a few small games and not show much - its a bit meh really - you can just get the highlights if you want’…I do think they are blamed for stuff when the reality is they are doing their jobs.

They have a very leaky ship. The best thing that could be done is for them to sure up some of those leaks. My assumption would be that there are going to be some changes to Game Pass. Anything that is in addition like adding to the first party studios is a bonus.