Halo |OT2| Forging Ahead

also with this update, forge is pretty much out in the wild now.

1 Like

that thread titleā€¦ yes, they did

4 Likes

What was it?

That f***ing siteā€¦

4 Likes

I agree with that. The casual/social aspect of Infinite is severely lacking compared to the old games, at least at the moment :

• no pre/post-game lobbies (with chat, service records and visible profiles)
  • no Custom Game Browser
  • Custom Games are lacking
  • no Forge
  • no Infection, no Griffball, no Racesā€¦
  • no Firefight
  • the PvPvE mode from Halo 5 is no more and BTB feels like a sweaty 12v12 Arena at times (+ maps donā€™t favor vehicles)
  • no Co-op
  • no Falcon
  • the UI looks cold and sterile imo (compare it with the menu of Reach or MCC)

I wish 343 didnā€™t focus so much on e-Sport, pros and competitiveness for launch. The way Infinite launched was not a great experience to retain the casual audience long-term honestly. Hopefully this will change soon.

4 Likes

I love comp Halo but I agree I think 343 undervalues social playlists and casual gameplay

3 Likes

100% agree and coincidentally I was just thinking about this because Iā€™m playing Infinite right now to catch up on challenges and remembered that Saturday nights from 2017 to 2019 was all about hanging out with close friends in Fortnite. We used to go for coffee/bubble tea but that was replaced by Fortnite. We got into the game over time but we will actually didnā€™t think it was that great, we just loved the social experience.

And theyā€™ve come over for my Halo LAN parties so theyā€™re Halo MP fans as well. We dreamed about the possibilities of a Halo BR with warthogs and banshees.

For all the reasons you mentioned I know they would be disinterested pretty quickly and convincing them to buy an Xbox again wouldnā€™t be worth it at this stage.

Interestingly one of the folks at Certain Affinity that used to be with Bungie understands how SBMM negatively affects the social experience. Iā€™m hoping Halo BR nails all the social aspects so I can tell my friends to get an Xbox again.

A ton of people rag on 343 for all the wrong reasons (ā€œthey had 6 years and this is all they could come up with?ā€, ā€œtheyā€™re talentlessā€, ā€œthey were all about greedā€, etc) but I think a completely fair argument could be made that they lacked consistent direction. To put it more harshly they didnā€™t know what game they should make exactly, beyond a vague idea, and while making that they changed direction too often (changed for the better in most cases but it means a lot of wasted work). Throw in the fact that most of the game was developed during COVID-19, judging by how early the game looked in '19, and it just amplifies those issues.

3 Likes

I despise SBMM

Ranked obviously the purpose is to prove youā€™re the best and to do that gradually face similar level of competition until you get to the top

Social in any game shouldnā€™t be like that at all, nobody wants to sweat every game, even if it was rage inducing at times, the most fun iv ever had in online was back in the Gears 1 and CoDs prime CoD4 and MW2

There was nothing close to the SBMM we have now, some days youā€™d face gods, some days youā€™d face people that look like they hadnā€™t held a controller before, that was part of the fun for me

3 Likes

Agreed, I also just saw that one of their support studios ā€œsperasoftā€ is partially based in russia. Guess that also put a wrench in a wheel or two. Iā€™m still very optimistic about Infinites future. I hope they get the thing rolling when season 3 arrives.

Especially a PvE experience could bring a lot of people back to the game.

Whatever it is they bring Im here for it. This is still the best FPS out there today and Iā€™m having a blast everytime I play.

1 Like

Love seeing the comments on social. I can play halfway decent competitively at times, but really do prefer to just go relax. I wish there was a bot mode for all of the game types so I could play with a few people against a mix of bots in something like a big team battle, or maybe even set up me plus three easy bots against my friend and 3 medium bots or something like that (my one friend wonā€™t play multiplayer at all, but if I could set this up so it was a slightly more challenging experience for me than her and she could just play against me, I think sheā€™d go for it). I also usually end up ignoring the weekly challenges because I canā€™t be bothered to play against other players when itā€™s so inconsistent. Would have been nice to get them playing bots for getting various goals more often instead of requiring playing specific playlists for most.

2 Likes

Completely agree with this, bump the bots to odst and let me complete challenges with them.

Its just so much more relaxing.

1 Like

That DMR model is probably fake. Has a lot of inconsistencies with the other model, which is legit.

5 Likes
6 Likes

After playing some co-op the other night and having an absolute blast, with Doncabesa, Soulblazers and Knottian. I played some more today with Jess and experienced the open world with someone else and holy shit on a shit cracker!

This co-op is amazingly fun

13 Likes

Follow the link if you have any questions for the YHMAH podcast this Thursday

Thereā€™s only 1 competitive playlist tho?

2 Likes

That might be so, but it is all very sweaty. At least thatā€™s the impression I get.

2 Likes