Halo |OT2| Forging Ahead

“the week of July 15th”

2 Likes

But Jess, I don’t know if that’s enough time for BRiT to make any friends

Love ya, BRiT :wink:

3 Likes

4 Likes

And of course 343 did go and release a blog post today. At this point it has to be on purpose!

But speaking of the co-op stuff, it looks like a really good implementation. The “lowest common denominator” is a very good way to handle it. Better than I think most other solutions I’ve seen.

I’m sure some people are going to be disappointed at the “Area-Of-Operations” method, but Halo isn’t a Ubisoft/other giant open world. It has significantly less objectives and still has a clear linear path, even with its open content. It isn’t Borderlands where you have people split up doing random kill/fetch quests because they want to clear the board (which tbh wasn’t exactly exciting to do). The area being “1000 ft” doesn’t mean much, but when they said a little larger than the banished dig site, then that’s actually pretty damn big.

And fun co-op achievements! Boo Yeah!

7 Likes

Yeah, this co-op sounds just as fun as I expected (atleast on paper).

For what it’s worth, I have not seen a lot of complaints online about the co-op implementation.

1 Like

3 Likes

Lol, that little rant of mine may have come after like a 30 minute debate with someone else about dissatisfaction over the AOO aspect of co-op.

1 Like

That looks perfectly fine to me.

14 Likes

Do people not want to do the same mission or what?

2 Likes

That’s not too bad, hopefully the warning at 800ft isn’t too in your face/annoying.

I hope it would not have a limit. But I guess it could trigger some missions that way

When I first saw that post I thought “this guy must be new” because he’s trying very hard to piss people off and calling for dev’s jobs which could not have been hammered home enough by the mods that that is a no-go.

Turns out this guy has been here a while. I’ll stop myself now, or name calling will, for sure, ensue

6 Likes

To be honest when I read that 343 employee on Twitter say that they “where investigating reports of desync” I was pretty flabbergasted.

That’s what they should have been doing durring the tech test, and maybe in November/December. The games been out for over 7 months now, and they’re still in the investigating phase? Jeez EVERYTHING at 343 moves like molasses.

1 Like
1 Like

Things are not always as easy as what gamers would like to make it seem. If it was easy, they would already have done it, 343 is no slouch and full of great people there.

1 Like

I know they are full of great developers. A huge massively talented team, with lots of support studios helping including the amazing certain affinity.

But these huge issues remain from launch, and very little content has been added to a barebones multiplayer experience. To me it’s evident that the blam engine which has been reworked into slipspace engine is a utter disaster. It was long in the tooth 10 years ago. An engine change for their next game might be for the best.

I think they are already making the transition there with Splispace. It’s just that it is not easy to create your engine alongside making the game, and you have to create the basics first. They said plenty of times they are doing the groundwork to push out faster and more consistent updates, alongside maintaining a healthy culture. They will get there, just the community that is the problem ( not talking about you ).

I’m not gonna act like I know anything about Slipspace, but we really don’t have enough information to point at a root cause.

Yes, we simply don’t know.

The studio thought about it and decided to develop their own tech and saw Slipspace engine as the most suitable for their game.

Looking back, will they still think that was the right decision? Maybe yes, maybe no, maybe they’ll not be sure until years later.

One thing I’m sure of…

If the game was made in UE and had problems, some people would’ve be talking about how disastrous was the decision to use UE for Halo, and that 343i should’ve used their own engine.

2 Likes

Hopefully they will get there, and hopefully there’s a community still left.