Halo |OT2| Forging Ahead

The engine is not stopping maps, game modes, weapons, sandbox items, vehicles, armor, etc. from being implemented, y’all. What’s stopping those things from being implemented is 343’s focus on co-op (to work with the open world), and implementing a vastly improved forge.

Hmmm…while I will say you’re presenting this idea as something you know for a fact. And that’s a little weird. You are, at least, exploring other possibilities and not just parroting the quickly tiring same ones, or just lashing out like a child and calling for people’s jobs

So, well done

P.S. Mods, I’m not talking about people here when I say “like a child” I’m talking about Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, etc. Everyone here is just peachy keen

I dunno. We know that the teams at 343 are pretty well separated.

Why would the multiplayer team (which is then broken down even further) be working on co-op or focused on forge?

I don’t think anything is stopping sandbox changes other than 343 simply not wanting to make any yet. Balancing the game is a tightrope act, and adding more weapons, equipment, and vehicles makes massive ripples. Heck, even just rebalancing current weapons is a sensitive task. Though that being said, we are getting sandbox changes with Season 3, so 343 does want to keep adding to the game there.

Armour and Game Modes are being implemented as soon as next week, so I don’t think anything is stopping those from being made at all.

Maps is the primary area where they’re moving too slow. None of us know the exact reason for this, but I doubt it’s because the map/environment teams are working on campaign co-op and forge. Though then again, who knows?

I mean, most of you said involves balancing and QA testing not the engine itself. I would imagine the process of creating a nap from concept to fully finished is not short, but that doesn’t mean tech debt is holding that back just more the creative process.

E.g. There is a hanky version of co-op in Infinite (and the devs/staten have flat out said co-op is the game in a “working” condition and the fact that Forge has been successfully tested in internal beta tests).

Sure I’m extrapolating but it’s all based on what the devs have told us/ what’s been datamined etc.

1 Like

Engine issues earlier in dev absolutely can screw up the schedule of production for stuff leading into launch and early post launch. It evidently led them to spend some time working in UE4 before deciding to come back to what became labeled as the Slipspace Engine, and even then it caused problems with level design productivity to some extent.

Also, it doesn’t just slow down 343’s internal teams, it also drastically limits what contractors can do as they already have to spend time learning the quirks of the engine they are building stuff within. That is likely why they felt UE4 was a compelling alternative since everyone in the industry knows it already.

That all said, decisions related to game engines does fall under the banner of a management issue imho. Then again, the vibe on Halo Infinite is likely to be wildly different 6 months from now, 12 months from now, yrs from now, etc…so the leadership might have the last laugh ultimately anyhow.

2 Likes

The ambient noise in Halo Infinite is so damn good. The entire sound design in general for the game is rarely talked about, even though it’s great.

6 Likes

I still remember waxing poetic about the sound design of the play test last summer (I think it was summer?). Phenomenal sound design and an Atmos showpiece.

2 Likes

Yeah! That was my first thought lol.

Also, this map is friggen massive. I didn’t realize how big it was on the previous videos.

1 Like

Narrative cutscenes and events seem cool. Coop coming fairly soon and shaping up. Full fat forge (though he added v1) in beta. Excited

They are looking to abolish cores in the future! GOOD

Yo WTF was that? A Matrix core? Corporate involvement???

3 Likes

100…

This does not surprise me that Forge will continually evolve along with the game.

2 Likes

This has been a pretty solid stream. Slow paced, but they know what they’re talking about and they’ve addressed many of the main complaints. Even if they’re still going to need more time.

Also, what the heck was that interruption… Freaked the heck out of me as I was looking away to another monitor at the time.

3 Likes

Here’s the clip

2 Likes

Yeah, Wtf is that lol.

Mystery! Found the name interesting…

I know the Völuspa (Prophecy of the Seer) is part of the Eddan, an old norse text. Lux is light or illumination in Latin?

Vǫluspá (also Völuspá, Vǫlospá or Vǫluspǫ́; Old Norse: ‘Prophecy of the völva, a seeress’; reconstructed Old Norse: [ˈwɔloˌspɔː]) is the best known poem of the Poetic Edda. It tells the story of the creation of the world and its coming end and subsequent rebirth, related to the audience by a völva addressing Odin.

2 Likes

I am still none the wiser lol.

Although I did notice that they have now sorted out Jorge’s armour :+1:.

3 Likes