Halo |OT2| Forging Ahead

Honestly the most interesting thing that could happen at this point is an engineer giving a talk at a GDC in the next year or two. Until then it’s all semantics and perspective :heart:

2 Likes

Again, you do realise I read the posts, right? See my reply above yours… Please stop with the condescending attitude.

“Fixing” this is beyond dumb, all it does is piss people off, they really should leave these things alone

As for the rumored BR mode, I appreciate them trying to do something different but I hope they have something more generic as an option as well, just a simple kill everyone and last person alive wins, whether that’s through forge or a separate playlist

I can already see people whining about PvE enemies among other things

This makes me curious about the connection between this mode and forge, if there even is one.

Will we be able to use forge to access and customize the map? The spawns? Etc.

1 Like

Phew, I was tempted to load up my old save and get my run finished but I guess I am safe. Though, it is VERY easy to lose the tank gun so that is gonna make it pretty sweaty when I do get back to it.

It’s entirely possible there’s a valid reason to do so, perhaps future content will be added in such a way that would otherwise allow people to carry across the tank gun. It’s one thing to allow a bug in the existing content, it’s another to let it affect future content. Just as an example anyway, I’m not saying I think this’ll be the case.

1 Like

If there is any connection at all, I’d imagine it would almost have to mean ‘yes’ to your questions, no? And there is reportedly some connection iirc. Don’t forget there are reportedly marine AI’s involved in the mode too. Could be some super interesting stuff to play with there. Many have kinda written Forge off for some reason in S2 but I think that it will be seen in retrospect as a HUGE deal even in beta form.

1 Like

For more official word, Jez mentioned yesterday on Xbox Two that the Halo 5 game engine was 70% re-written and came in hot. I doubt we ever get more official word. As for how good it is long term, I don’t think there’s enough track record to make a call on it right now. Devs aren’t even using next-gen features on the hardware yet and I wonder how many things were done with these engines with an eye towards the future. Common sense tells me it was a factor in their strategy. How they executed only time will tell.

But all these details…end of the day, the thing that will help these devs become more efficient is more time with the tools. It’s a new environment for them. Halo is the most ambitious live service (IMO) due to the number of things that need to be great. No other live service has as ambitious a map creator. Has campaigns with as much scrutiny. Needs to be great with competitive, social, arena and big team modes. That has tacked on expectations for future PVE and Battle Royal modes.

343 needs stability. Stability of vision. Stability of developers getting familiar with the tools. The engine is likely still going through some changes. They need to not only keep hiring but also to retain these developers. Getting rid of leadership again won’t help prospects feel confident about the direction of the studio. All this negativity can’t help with recruiting.

I do feel there is a good redemption arc coming in the near future for 343. Just a prediction. People are under-estimating Forge and CA’s support.

10 Likes

I agree completely. Very well put!

I have no doubts about 343i in it’s current form and leadership, the game plays excellent after all and the campaign was great no matter how hot it came in or how new the engine is or isn’t. They just need time and resources to get more content out there to sustain a live service game in the long run. As the big backlogged things come out, co-op and Forge, a lot of resources will be freed up to work on other things too which will increase the tempo and momentum even further.

I see only good things for Halo going forward.

4 Likes

Make a new save with it just in case hehe

And to what I said to Tavish about “oh it’s THAT guy?” I had heard back then that this was someone who wan’t just no longer with 343, but was actually fired. So the idea of him perhaps having an axe to grind made a ton of sense to me

If that is not the case, my apologies to all involved in any roll I played in carrying this spat along

In other Halo “news”, Infinite moved up two spots this week on Xbox most played (16th to 14th).

The change itself is tiny, of course, but I was still surprised to see it move up instead of continuing to drop until season 2 fully released.

Could be season 2 hype, or maybe the decent weekly award?

1 Like

A last burst of people making use of the tank glitch maybe, or possibly finishing up the battlepass/Fracture event.

(sigh) come onnnnnn, Man

It was lower on the chart for loy-ike forevah and a day. Let’s not celebrate now

:wink:

Regardless of the engine’s status, I am sure the devs/engineers will continue to refine and stabilize the engine more in due time.

2 Likes

I’m definitely looking forward to seeing people try to downplay it hitting top 10 again (probably top 5 for a bit tbh).

I mean, the arena shooter is a dead genre, right?

1 Like

I’ll be playing in the next week to get the weekly challenge reward (a black visor) and maybe on the night before the 3rd as a send-off.

With these live service games, you’ll never get a chance to go back and play the game as it existed previously.

So this will be the last we’ll see the OP Mangler, weak Ravager, and wonky vehicle physics.

It’s sort of like Fortnite Season 1, we’re going to look back at this and remark at how primitive everything looked and felt, after a few seasons of refinement.

6 Likes

There’s a black visor? Ooh, thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

It’s pretty obvious that the engine has hindered development, both before launch and to this day. Things like the gameplay reveal show this. As does the fact that we’re still waiting on raytracing and co-op campaign.

The game came out 6 months ago and there’s no new real content since launch. And besides 2 maps there won’t be anything for months.

Still believe 343 will turn this around. The engine I’m sure is increasingly getting into better shape. 343 are busting their ass, CA(who I love) is helping. They are gunna turn this around I think. They have a great game, the content will come.

2 Likes

That OP mangler has been a shitshow in ranked. So glad the nerf is finally upon us.

2 Likes